Quantcast

• Own an LG TV or webOS device? Join our Forum!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Alex

LG to Showcase webOS Auto at CES 2020

LG to Showcase webOS Auto at CES 2020, a Competitor to Android Auto and Apple Car Play

LG is hoping to break into the automotive infotainment sector, with its new platform.

webos Auto

LG Electronics is taking a big leap, diving head-first into the car infotainment market with webOS Auto. The company announced that it will showcase this new platform for cars during CES 2020 at its booth and across its partner booths, which include Microsoft, Qualcomm Qt and more. It's based on Qualcomm's Automotive Development Platform (ADP) and will also support various content companies such as iHeartRadio, Mapbox, and Cerence to begin with. This platform aims to compete with existing car infotainment platforms such as Apple's CarPlay and Google's Android Auto.

LG Electronics will have a demo of a connected car at its booth at CES 2020, where it has partnered with Adient, a leading car seat manufacturer, to showcase the various services such as Internet radio and video streaming. LG Electronics' blog post on its Korean social website also mentions that it has worked with Microsoft, Qualcomm, MS, Qt, and Luxoft to develop webOS Auto and that CES attendees will be able to see demos or use cases of this platform at the respective partner booths too.

WebOS Auto is said to be built on top of Qualcomm's Snapdragon Automotive Development Platform and incorporates Qualcomm's technology to support multi-display and 5G networks. Microsoft is said to showcase an AVN (audio, video and navigation) scenario that combines webOS Auto and the Microsoft Connected Vehicle Platform (MCVP). Finnish software company, Qt, is said to introduce a human machine interface built using the software tool ‘Qt', and software company Luxoft will have a concept car developed on webOS Auto.

Source: 

link hidden, please login to view

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By superleccy
      Hi there
      I've had my LG WebOS SmartTV for a couple of months, but in the past week or so I've noticed it's really started eating up all my home's Internet bandwidth, even when I'm just watching FreeSat TV and not running any apps.  It's connected to my router using wired ethernet, so it's not a WiFi problem.
      I can only assume that one the apps I've installed is suddenly decided to download a ton of data in the background.  But which one?
      The only solution I can think of is to install my apps one-by-one until my bandwidth issue improves.  And that's what I'll do.
      But I found this forum, and thought I'd ask you good people if any of you had had a similar experience.
      Here's the apps I've got installed:
      BritBox BBC iPlayer Spotify YouTube Amazon Prime Video NowTV AppleTV Thanks in advance for any tips
      SL
    • By Ravichandran S
      My TV was bought in 2014 55UB850T-TA with WebOS TV version 1.4.0-2337 (afro-ashley). 
      I recently purchased the Disney hotstar subscription. But in the above version the LG content store does not show the Hotstar
      As per the news in this link we are eligible to upgrade to WebOS 2.0. But the automatic updates does not say it as WebOS 2.0 but still WebOS 1.4

link hidden, please login to view Why this discrimination for old users of LG TV? How will I install new apps in this TV?
      Please help.
      Thanks,
      Ravichandran
    • By nashwan
      I have the following setup:

LG 55EF950V television which is running webOS 2.2.0-1317 (this should be the latest version of the OS).

I have a number of video files on my Synology DiskStation DS413 NAS which I connect to with the TV over DLNA (on the TV this is Smart Share -> Devices -> (NAS))

I can see all the video files and play them etc., however when viewing the list of files I dont see any thumb images even though I have a JPEG image for each file.  For example: "My Video.mkv" has a thumb call "My Video.jpg".  For collections I put a "cover.jpg" image in the directory (this doesnt work either on the LG TV).

Has anyone else out there managed to get a webOS 2 TV to show video thumb nail images for videos over DLNA?

BTW: this all works when I use a Samsung TV so I dont think it has anything to do with the way the Synology DiskStation DS413 NAS is setup.
    • By Alex
      LG announced today in its press release that AppleTV+ is coming to LG webOS TVs. In 2020, a new Apple TV app will be released and customers with 2018 and 2019 LG webOS TVs will also be able to download the app:
      LG’s award-winning webOS smart TV platform will bring 2020 LG OLED and LG NanoCell TVs a plethora of programming from the constantly-growing number of top global content providers through apps and services such as Disney+, Netflix and CBS All Access. New for 2020, the Apple TV app allows customers to subscribe and watch Apple TV+ and Apple TV channels as well as access their iTunes video library and buy or rent more than 100,000 films and TV shows. Customers with 2018 and 2019 LG TV models will also be able to enjoy the Apple TV app this year.

• By CodyMaster
      Those who are unable to get update through OTA, they can update it manually via USB

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Alex
      Here' s the latest video from LG on webOS Auto. An excellent introduction to LG's webOS Auto, a  Linux-powered Automotive OS Platform.

• By Alex
      LG is best known for its smartphones and televisions, but it also offer a highly-rated range of audio products. Apart from the basics such as headphones and wireless speakers, LG also sells various home theatre products such as speaker systems and soundbars. The South Korean electronics conglomerate is set to launch its new range of soundbars at CES 2020, which kicks off on January 7 in Las Vegas. LG has announced that the upgraded soundbar range is designed to fit in perfectly with the company's high-end 55-inch and 65-inch televisions.
      The company has announced that it will launch a new lineup of soundbars at CES 2020 in January, including the SN11RG, SN10YG, SN9YG, and SN8YG models. All of these soundbars are premium models, and are meant to be used primarily with LG's high-end televisions. While full details will be revealed at CES, the company has claimed that the soundbars will feature premium audio quality, easy connectivity, smart functionality, and sleek design.
      LG has worked with Meridian Audio, a British high-end manufacturer of speakers and audio products, in the development of the new soundbar range. Apart from this, the new models will have premium features such as 4K passthrough, support for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X sound formats, and compatibility with the optional SPK8 wireless rear speaker kit. The flagship SN11RG model is a 7.1.4-channel soundbar system with a subwoofer and rear speakers included in the package.
      More details on the new soundbars will be revealed at the launch event at CES 2020 itself. LG is expected to have a strong presence at the annual tech show, showcasing its entire range of products as well as launching some of its big new products for 2020. This will include webOS Auto, said to be a competitor to Android Auto and Apple Car Play.
      Source: 
    • By Alex
      LG and Qualcomm announced plans to show off a new automotive infotainment platform running LG's webOS on Qualcomm's Snapdragon Automotive Development Platform (ADP). The new platform will run LG's Linux-based webOS Open Source Edition 2.0 and marks a new entrant into the auto OS space after Apple's Carplay and Google's Android Auto.
      LG has announced no specific details on how cars and drivers will benefit from webOS support, nor whether the system would operate in tandem with smartphones like Apple and Google products or as a standalone service. For its part, Qualcomm happily bragged of Snapdragon's capabilities in the car, including the power to drive high-res passenger and rear-seat entertainment displays with advanced graphics and ultra HD streaming provided by 5G networks.
      Smartphone fans remember webOS as the system that drove Palm's comeback Palm Pre devices, and was later passed among tech giants until it landed at LG running various devices including smart TVs and wearables. LG and Qualcomm plan to show a reference platform for the new collaboration in January at CES 2020 in Las Vegas.
      Source: 
    • By Alex
      Qualcomm Incorporated, announced today plans to work together to further develop webOS Auto, LG’s connected in-vehicle infotainment system. Harnessing the combined strengths of webOS Auto and Qualcomm Snapdragon Automotive Development Platform (ADP), the companies aim to create and advance a more convenient in-car experience for drivers and passengers alike.
      LG’s webOS Auto is a Linux-powered platform which leverages LG’s expertise in vehicle infotainment for the next generation of connected automobiles. LG’s recently announced webOS Open Source Edition 2.0, which adds automotive infotainment functionality, allows developers to experience some of the innovative features that will be incorporated in webOS Auto. The open source code and related tools and guides are available to download at
      link hidden, please login to view The Snapdragon ADP features industry leading infotainment technologies supported through artificial intelligence (AI) capabilities, advanced graphics for high-resolution multiple display configurations and ultra HD media streaming. Snapdragon ADP is designed to provide a comprehensive hardware and software environment for rapid development of high performing and power efficient automotive cockpit platforms, including passenger and rear-seat entertainment (RSE) displays.
      In addition to developing and commercializing a more advanced webOS Auto, LG and Qualcomm will collaborate on a reference platform which LG will unveil in January at CES 2020.
      Source: