Quantcast

Cutting the Cord - Dropping Cable TV Discussion

ajmboy

So for everyone that has a smart TV, do you still have cable service with a cable box? I'm in the US, so mostly interested to see if people are migrating away from Comcast, Verizon Fios, and services like that with a cable box to streaming services like Direct TV Now, Hulu, Youtube TV, Sling, etc. 

I have Verizon Fios currently and need to use their equipment. I'm noticing more and more that we aren't watching scheduled tv anymore and just "whenever" watching. My two young children mostly watch youtube these days.  So I'm thinking of youtube TV maybe? Not sure. 

I cut the cord about two months ago.  No more $275/mo cable bills.  Cancelled Comcast and order Verizon internet (1GBt) for $89.99.  Added Youtube TV and Philo and I have almost everything I had before for about $146.  Quality is just as good and I have not been throttled.  You can add, drop  HBO, Showtime whenever it suits you.  There has been a bit of a learning curve but not terrible.  BTW, I still use my apple TV to stream.  I'm not thrilled with the quality of native youtube TV app.  It's probably a setting, I just haven't figured it out just yet.

• 2 years later...

I'm from India and our family has officially been off cord since 2 years . My family consumes lot of regional content so we have couple of apps for that and share subscription with my friends . Been using Primevideo and Hotstar mostly .

Netflix is for those who can afford to kill time .

• 1 year later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By News Reporter
      Company Expands Smart Factory Business
      Based on AI Technology and Automation Solutions

SEOUL, Mar. 13, 2024 — LG Electronics (LG) is expanding its B2B business area and making significant strides into the global smart factory market by capitalizing on its expertise in constructing and operating intelligent autonomous factories.
      Earlier this year, LG established the Smart Factory Business Division within its Production engineering Research Institute (PRI) and initiated the commercialization of its intangible assets, including smart factory construction technology and operational solutions. These innovations will be highlighted at MODEX 2024, the premier supply chain experience trade show, held in Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
      LG’s smart factory business not only delivers production automation solutions but also incorporates AI-driven production planning, operations and the Digital Twin solution. The company aims to enhance customers’ manufacturing competitiveness by offering optimal solutions across all stages, from factory planning and design to construction and operation. Additionally, continuous improvement consulting services for factory upgrades will be available.
      Aligned with LG’s vision of achieving a revenue of KRW 100 trillion by 2030, with the B2B sector targeting revenue exceeding KRW 40 trillion, the smart factory business serves as a cornerstone for LG’s B2B expansion. This endeavor is part of LG’s strategic focus on three key areas for future growth: accelerating non-hardware business models, expanding B2B businesses and developing new business domains.
      Experienced in various aspects of the smart factory business, LG boasts extensive manufacturing expertise across diverse sectors such as home appliances, air solutions, TVs, vehicle components and robotics. What’s more, the company provides cutting-edge equipment and communication technologies, including big data-enabled integrated monitoring systems and predictive quality evaluation systems.
      In addition to its manufacturing prowess, LG has secured essential digital technologies for building automated processes, including AI, big data and the Internet of Things (IoT). The company has also developed an intelligent production system where deep learning-enabled robots execute tasks guided by the company’s Digital Twin solution. This solution simulates actual machinery, equipment and logistics systems in a virtual environment, facilitating smooth integration and optimization of manufacturing processes.
      These accomplishments have earned LG recognition for possessing world-class smart factory technology, encompassing hardware, software and automation solutions. Notably, the LG Smart Park in Changwon and the Tennessee factory in the USA were selected as Lighthouse Factories by the World Economic Forum.
      With these capabilities, LG strengthens collaboration with various partners to expand the smart factory ecosystem. Following the signing of an MOU with LS ELECTRIC for the “Establishment of Smart Factory Business Cooperation System and Mutual Benefit Enhancement,” LG is forming unions with numerous global partners to advance smart factory technology through cloud and data analysis.
      “In light of LG’s robust portfolio of smart factory solutions, we are committed to partnering with customers throughout their manufacturing journey by delivering optimal solutions across all stages, from planning and design to construction and operation,” stated Song Shi-yong, head of LG Electronics’ Smart Factory Business Division. He further elaborated on plans to introduce a Total Factory Offering System, which will provide a comprehensive solution in collaboration with LG and its global partners.
      # # #

link hidden, please login to view
    • By John Bizeray
      I recently updated the firmware on my  LG43UH610V.  Now I constantly get "Wired Lan cable disconnected" / "Wired network is connected" messages even while watching a video file from my NAS. The TV is connected and using the network while getting these messages. It has always been on a fixed IP address on the LAN.
    • By News Reporter
      Dedicating a Special Exhibition Zone to Experimental yet Innovative Products,
      LG Presents Creative Ideas Tailored to Various Lifestyles

SEOUL, Jan. 2, 2024 — LG Electronics (LG) is gearing up to showcase its latest lineup of innovative and pioneering products at CES 2024, the world’s largest consumer electronics and IT exhibition.
      LG will dedicate a special exhibition space to LG Labs, its marketing platform focused on delivering experimental yet innovative products and services. This year, the size of the LG Labs zone has more than doubled compared to CES 2023, aiming to present creative ideas tailored to various lifestyles, offering diverse customer experiences.
      One of the highlights at the exhibition will be the unveiling of the DukeBox by LG Labs, an innovative audio product that seamlessly combines the charm of vacuum tube audio with cutting-edge transparent OLED panel technology. It aims to deliver a new music experience by combining old-fashioned sensibilities with state-of-the-art technology, seeking to reinvent the depth of audio and video experience with a modernized jukebox. With front-facing speakers at the bottom and a 360-degree speaker at the top, it offers an immersive audio experience that surrounds the listener. The transparency of the OLED display can be adjusted, creating a captivating visual effect reminiscent of a vacuum tube audio system enclosed in a transparent glass box. Moreover, the DukeBox is versatile and can be used to enjoy high-quality content such as movies, or even create a cozy fireplace ambiance where the vacuum tube is visible amidst the flickering flames.
      LG will also unveil an upgraded version of its Bon Voyage by LG Labs, a customized living space designed to extend the life quality at home out into the nature. Based on customer feedback, the Bon Voyage has been redesigned to the size of a camping trailer, optimizing space utilization and mobility. With dimensions of 2-meter width, 3.8-meter depth and 2.2-meter height, it can be furnished with various furniture and appliances, including a bed, refrigerator, electric stove, water purifier, Styler and shoe care products. Its versatility allows for comfortable enjoyment anywhere, with the ability to be easily parked indoors and connected to a car.
      Another exciting product to be showcased is the DUOBO by LG Labs, a capsule coffee machine that extracts two different coffee capsules simultaneously. Inspired by space exploration, the DUOBO was introduced through a crowdfunding campaign in the US. The exhibition space will feature a large model of the DUOBO together with the space pet character CUBO, creating an inviting atmosphere for global customers.
      In addition, LG plans to exhibit other products such as the LG CineBeam Qube, LG gram Fold, LG XBOOM, LG StanbyMe Go, LG tiiun mini and brid.zzz by LG Labs, all born from the company’s fearless approach to taking on bold challenges.
      Kim Hyo-eun, vice president and head of Brand Management Division at LG, expressed the company’s commitment to providing global customers with a firsthand experience of the innovative products and services that embody LG Electronics’ ‘Pioneering DNA.’
      Visitors to CES 2024 in Las Vegas from January 9-12 can check out LG Labs products at the company’s booth (#16008, Central Hall, Las Vegas Convention Center). To keep up with all of LG’s exciting announcements at CES, visit
      link hidden, please login to view and . # # #

• By oled55c11lb
      Hello!

I would like to share my screen from my PC(Win10) to my LG TV(OLED55c11LB). Both devices are connected to the same network via Ethernet CABLE. It is not possible to connect with HDMI, devices are in diffrent rooms.  When I try to find the TV on the screenshare list it's not showing up although it is visible is my network in explorer. I can easly screenshare from my phone. 

I tried the customer support which resulted in nothing except reverting my TV to factory settings. Has anyone done this before? Is it even possible? I would love to be able to game with wireless mouse and keyboard on my TV.
    • By News Reporter
      lgoCompany Exhibits Flagship MAGNIT Series,
      Breathtaking Transparent OLED Technologies and LG CreateBoard Display Solutions

SEOUL, June 15, 2023 — LG Electronics (LG) is demonstrating its impressive range of digital display solutions at InfoComm 2023, the professional audiovisual tradeshow taking place in Orlando, Florida, USA, from June 14-16. LG’s 10,400 square foot booth features a vast array of innovative digital displays, exhibited across a dozen distinct product zones showing use cases and applications for a wide range of industries and environments. Improving efficiency, productivity and the customer experience, the company’s latest offerings present creative and practical solutions for today’s world.
      Headlining the company’s InfoComm showcase, the sophisticated MAGNIT displays for commercial and residential use are a sight to behold. The
      link hidden, please login to view lineup – which includes newly introduced models with a remote powerful supply option – offers a comprehensive range of pixel pitches (from 0.68 to 1.56 millimeters) and the flexibility to meet different needs. Designed with user safety and the installation environment in mind, LG MAGNIT displays have passed several tests regarding the surface spread of flame, color consistency over a wide viewing angle and electromagnetic compatibility.1 The Digital Art Zone of the booth centers around the massive 272-inch LG MAGNIT 8K Micro LED display, an attraction that demands visitors’ attention. Screening a variety of 8K footage capturing the beauty of the natural world, LG’s show-stopping display is a stellar means of delivering content and messaging, and is suitable for use in public spaces, and in corporate and hotel lobbies. On the rear side of the zone’s Media Art wall, the new LG LED All-in-One 163-inch display dazzles with art content made all the more mesmerizing by the screen’s scale and superb color reproduction.
      Visitors will also be treated to another spectacular sight, as the LG MAGNIT 8K Micro LED display synchronizes with a media wall (comprising 26 55-inch displays) to create an incredibly immersive media art experience. The unique installation shows off the versatility and the potential creative applications presented by LG’s cutting-edge technologies.
      In the Virtual Production Zone, LG is demonstrating advanced display solutions (including and OLED Pro) for broadcasters, production studios and digital content creators, with displays that allow for live-action footage to be shot against a realistic virtual backdrop. Attendees can learn how virtual production studios work and how they are being used in film and TV, and by in-house corporate communications channels, for diverse media creation.
      Gracing the Corporate Zone is a 163-inch LG MAGNIT with remote power supply option. Integrators will see for themselves how the minute pixel pitch and detailed colors of LG’s Micro LED-based display provide excellent clarity and image fidelity. The zone also plays host to the company’s 21:9 LED All-in-one display optimized for widescreen video conferencing platforms, as well as a variety of other display solutions.
      Moving into the Education Zone, visitors are presented with the (TR3DK series), which paves the way to interactive and collaborative classroom experiences with its UHD (3,840 x 2,160) resolution, 40-point multi-touch screen.2 LG’s latest digital learning solutions come with LG CreateBoard Lab for content creating and writing, and LG CreateBoard Share for wireless content and screen sharing.
      In the Retail Zone, the spotlight is on a custom-designed digital sculpture comprising eight of LG’s versatile 55-inch Transparent OLED Signage solutions. Along with the sculpture, which resembles a giant prism, is a 30-inch Transparent OLED Signage model that serves as the stunning centerpiece of a luxury shoe display. This zone also includes a double-sided window-facing LED display. The installation of LG’s 87-inch high-brightness window-facing LED display with a 65- or 75-inch UHD display solution in rear configuration provides space efficiency and a generous amount of screen real estate for communicating with customers.
      The Food and Beverage Zone features a variety of digital displays, including a 37-inch Stretch display ideal for advertising on food pick-up shelves, and ultra-bright 22-and 55-inch weatherproof models optimized for drive-through applications. Complementing the displays are software solutions such as SuperSign AD and SuperSign QSR. SuperSign AD enables the distribution of targeted advertising content based on select data and can generate reports that support effective advertising management. SuperSign QSR, LG’s specialized order management solution for quick service restaurants, facilitates order taking, order transmission to kitchen displays and can even manage waiting lists.
      At the Software Solutions Zone, visitors can explore LG’s diverse range of innovative cloud platform solutions: the SuperSign Cloud and Pro:Centric Cloud content management solutions and the LG ConnectedCare remote management system. Demonstrations held in the zone show how these cutting-edge software offerings can help businesses conveniently manage their LG digital displays.
      The company’s technologies designed with users and environmental considerations in mind – and related industry certifications – can be seen in the Better Life for All Zone. Visitors can learn about LG CreateBoard’s flicker-free and low blue light certifications, and see how the LG Kiosk enhances accessibility through the inclusion of a tactile keypad. A company that understands the importance of sustainability, LG is showcasing a range of technologies that prioritize the reduction of plastic usage and power consumption.
      “To fully convey the strength, variety and innovation of our latest digital display solutions, we decided to create our biggest InfoComm showcase yet,” said Paik Ki-mun, senior vice president and head of the Information Display business unit of LG Electronics Business Solutions Company. “We are offering visitors a first-hand look at how our digital display solutions are already being deployed in real-world environments, from boardrooms, retail stores and restaurants to educational institutes, virtual media production studios and more. We will continue to deliver innovative display solutions to help make a Better Life for All.”
      Visitors to InfoComm 2023 can explore LG’s booth (#1642) at the Orange County Convention Center. To learn more about LG’s digital display solutions at InfoComm 2023, visit .
      # # #
      1 LG MAGNIT has been certified for the ‘surface spread of flame’ classification (BS476 Part 7 Class 1), electromagnetic compatibility (EMC Class B) and for providing color consistency over a wide viewing angle tested by TÜV Rheinland. Certifications may vary by model.
      2 A max of 40 points is detected in the Windows environment, while a max of 32 points is recognized in the Android environment.

• Similar Tagged Content