Quantcast

Using headphones and TV speakers at same time

Symbiodin

Question

I have an LG OLED55C6P TV. Because of hearing difficulties, I generally use bluetooth headphones when watching the TV.  As far as I have been able to determine, there appears to be no way to use the headphones and also have the TV speakers working at the same time. This means that if I'm watching TV, no one else can watch and listen unless they have headphones.  Am I missing something?  Is there a way to have the headphones and TV speakers working at the same time?

18 answers to this question

On our TV, Settings | All Settings | Sound | Sound out, there is an option at the bottom of the list to select "Internal TV Speaker + Wired Headphones. This also lets us connect an external speaker and hear its audio in addition to the TV sound.

WebOS Software version 04.70.85.

I do not have this model of TV, but you may look for an option in accessibility submenu that allows multiple audio output. For example, newer Samsung TVs have an option that allows to use both internal speakers and Bluetooth headphones at the same time:

link hidden, please login to view

If you wish to use bluetooth headphones and the internal speakers then you need to do the following.

First pair the bluetooth headset to ensure the TV has it listed in its available devices

Press and hold cog button on remote for 5 Sec

Select Sound

Select Sound Out

Scroll down to Bluetooth and select the "Device list" on the right

If not already searching press the search button

Switch on your bluetooth headset in pairing mode.

Select your device when it pops up. 

Go to the Sound configuration menue

Scroll down to  "Bluetooth Surroundsound + Internal TV Speakers"

Click on the device list on the right

Select your bluetooth headset.

Exit from the screen

Job Done

• Like 1

I have Bose Bluetooth headphones which I have been able to connect wirelessly with my LG tv. My problem is with volume control. I can only adjust the volume using the the remote. The buttons on the headphones do nothing. The tv remote adjusts both the headphones and internal tv speakers simultaneously so that a comfortable level on the tv is too quiet and a louder volume on the headphones is too loud for the tv. Is there a way to adjust the volume on the two devices independently of one another?

On 12/28/2020 at 4:30 AM, SusanS said:

I have set up two sets of headphones on my LG tv. Both are functional but not at the same time. Is it possible for two sets of wireless headphones to be used simultaneously?

Yes this can be achieved but you would need to purchase an external Bluetooth Adapter that supports this function. Amazon sell a few and they are reasonably inexpensive.

https://www.amazon.com.au/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Simultaneously/dp/B01EHSX28M/ref=pe_15469842_414097902_grep_deals_digest_pe_t

On 12/27/2020 at 9:58 AM, Wx Xa said:

If you wish to use bluetooth headphones and the internal speakers then you need to do the following.

First pair the bluetooth headset to ensure the TV has it listed in its available devices

Press and hold cog button on remote for 5 Sec

Select Sound

Select Sound Out

Scroll down to Bluetooth and select the "Device list" on the right

If not already searching press the search button

Switch on your bluetooth headset in pairing mode.

Select your device when it pops up. 

Go to the Sound configuration menue

Scroll down to  "Bluetooth Surroundsound + Internal TV Speakers"

Click on the device list on the right

Select your bluetooth headset.

Exit from the screen

Job Done

I have tried this, although possibly not in quite the same order. 

I select "Bluetooth + TV Speaker" in the sound output setting but as soon as I connect the headphones, the TV speaker goes off. 

The sound out setting changes to Bluetooth, rather than "Bluetooth + TV Speaker" as soon as I allow the headphones to connect to the TV.

On 8/4/2021 at 5:44 PM, J_D said:

I select "Bluetooth + TV Speaker" in the sound output setting but as soon as I connect the headphones, the TV speaker goes off. 

The sound out setting changes to Bluetooth, rather than "Bluetooth + TV Speaker" as soon as I allow the headphones to connect to the TV.

What you said it's exactly what's happening to me. Did you ever find a solution? Thanks!

I own an LG CX (2021) and it is impossible to hear from earphones (wired or bluetooth) and HDMI ARC (the soundbar) at the same time.

I am appalled of this stupid limitation.
Apparently LG chose to use a checklist of predetermined output combinations instead of independent radio buttons.
My old Samsung TV was able to enable/disable any audio output independently.

Unfortunately the support folks are not over interested in reporting a suggestion to the developers.

On 8/4/2021 at 4:44 PM, J_D said:

I have the same issue.  On an older tv and once on the LG I had tv audio and bluetooth audio working simultaneously using a MEE audio Connect T1CMA headphone + transmitter w/optical audio input. Both audio output volumes could be adjusted independently via tv remote  and headphones.  A month later the bluetooth connection to the transmitter mysteriously began disconnecting for no apparent reason. Has never worked since.  I am very disappointed in this audio setup.

I have an LG45a16 OLED smart tv. I've discovered how to set the wired headphone and tv volume independently. Being of advanced years my wife watches with Tv speakers and I listen with wired headphones. The TV sound has a setting "wired headphones +tvspeakers", but you can't adjust the volume on the headphones independently. The trick is to select "wired headphones" only and adjust the volume using the remote to suit. Then go back to "wired headphones +tv speakers" and the headphones will now be at the volume you selected in "wired headphones" The TV speaker volume  can now be adjusted with the remote without affecting the headphones. Also muting the TV speakers doesn't affect the headphones, so I can now watch sport without upsetting my wife! Bit of a complex workaround, but it does the job.

8 hours ago, william joe said:
  1. On the remote control, press the HOME button.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Under the TV category, select Sound → Headphone/Audio out → Audio out (Fixed).
  4. On the remote control, press the BACK button.
  5. Select Headphone speaker link.
  6. Select Speakers on.

Regards,

Willjoe

Not possible on my TV, i checked everywhere there is no such settings. I guess i have to buy new TV