Quantcast

LG smart Tv browser keeps shutting down due to lack of memory or needs more memory space?

Tanni

Question

My Lg TV which has the smart functions and magic remote is playing up. 

I often use web browser or you tube or similar apps to watch videos etc. 

Recently however, it keeps crashing and displays a message to the effect that the memory in the app is low or it need to close to free up more memory? 

My TV is less then 2 years old and is doing this. I love the telly and the smart features especially the web browser function, however this recent issue is making me think about the longevity of such LG smart TVs and whether I should've spent a few hundred more and got another telly. 

Please can someone advise what I can do to fix this as it takes away the whole point of smart TV. 

Thanks 

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Just got off the phone to lg support. I was told the web browser shuts down when attempting to stream video ON PURPOSE! Furthermore, once you stream anything from the internet, the cache fills up, does not clear, and prevents the installed apps from functioning properly.  I was told that the OS is a web browser NOT a web streaming service and if they allow customers access to stream video they will be in breach of their contractual agreement to the companies who have apps on the TV. This clearly doesn't happen on tablets or phones, so their logic for creating a sub par product is utter bollocks. I specifically asked the salesman if I could stream video from the internet and was told absolutely yes. When I pointed this out to Lg customer service they re-iterated that a web browser does not confer the ability to stream video. This is misleading the customer, and effectively censoring and filtering internet content.  This must stop! 

11 hours ago, Leigh said:

Just got off the phone to lg support. I was told the web browser shuts down when attempting to stream video ON PURPOSE! Furthermore, once you stream anything from the internet, the cache fills up, does not clear, and prevents the installed apps from functioning properly.  I was told that the OS is a web browser NOT a web streaming service and if they allow customers access to stream video they will be in breach of their contractual agreement to the companies who have apps on the TV. This clearly doesn't happen on tablets or phones, so their logic for creating a sub par product is utter bollocks. I specifically asked the salesman if I could stream video from the internet and was told absolutely yes. When I pointed this out to Lg customer service they re-iterated that a web browser does not confer the ability to stream video. This is misleading the customer, and effectively censoring and filtering internet content.  This must stop! 

"This must stop!"

Well it will not, especially if LG customer support is correct in their rhetoric about contractual obligations to app providers.  In the same way many UK residents would like to see the HBO app in our store, it is not going to happen because of contractual obligations between HBO & SKY.

As for a sales person telling you that streaming in the browser would work, well forgive me for being cynical but they want you to purchase the product and do not know every little nuance of every product.

PRESS & HOLD the HOME button for 3 sec until “close apps menu” appears. Close all apps, restart the browser

——Edit

the above solution helped partially but still- TV would shutdown after 5 min of watching video via web browser.

Connected the TV to a “wifi smart plug” and scheduled a daily reboot. Created a schedule to power down at 2am and power on at 6am every night.

TV is now more responsive and native web browser does not crash when streaming video.

The above “wifi smart plug” is like $10-15, but if you do not spend the money just unplug the TV from the outlet, count to 30sec and plug it back in. 

On 12/7/2017 at 11:01 AM, Leigh said:

I just went into settings and turned pop up blocker on and it works fine now. I think it defaults after an updated. Hope this helps

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By infiniter
      Hello! I‘m a guy from Germany who bought his first time ever LG TV, the OLED55G19LA. Coming from a Samsung UE49KS7090 I actually expected the LG to be as good as the Samsung in regards of user interface and handling, but it‘s way worse. Well, gotta live with that. But since using it for about two weeks now, I noticed a few things. Since in my job I‘m a software tester (not for TVs, but software for users is software for users), I think I kinda have an eye for things and how they are supposed to be or not. 
      Since there is only a wishlist forum and no „report your bugs here“ forum, I‘ll post my bugs directly here in hope some developer will record them on the bug tracking list.
      1. Bug: Timers. When gaming on my PS5, the TV suddenly came up with ‚will switching off in 5 minutes‘. So I deactivated that timer which was on by default (why??), just to see the same message appearing again after another 4 hours (yes, on weekends gaming sessions can be long). I think this is a typical software developer flaw. The running timer isn‘t canceled when switching that option off.
      2. Bug: Youtube app. When playing videos from a playlist with auto-play activated and commercials come in the middle of a video, after using the „Skip ad“ button it would randomly jump to another video, which isn‘t on the playlist. This only happens when I connect from within thr Youtube app on my iPad to my TV, select videos on the iPad which would put them onto the playlist of the TV. The TV would start playing, a commercial come and zing!, you‘re out of your currently watched video.
      3. Unwanted behavior: when starting the TV, it would also wake my NAS. This isn‘t necessary. It should only wake it when I open the media player app.
      4. Missing option „Start where you left off last time“: when shutting down the TV while Youtube or Netflix are running, I‘d expect it to come up again the same way. But this only happens randomly or not at all.
      5. Bug: HDMI CEC. My A/V receiver is on the HDMI(ARC) port. The LG deteced it as Denon Sound Bar (how??). Switching it on together with the TV only sometimes works. Switching it off doesn‘t work at all. What works nicely is loudness control.
      6. Bug: Audio interrupts. When playing a video in the media player, streaming Netflix or gaming on PS5, which is directly  connected to the TV, the audio stream via ARC would randomly be interrupted for about one second while the video continues neatlessly. I never had such with the Samsung TV. Totally new and extremely annoying bug.
      7. Controversial topic: DTS audio. I learned that LG doesn‘t decode DTS in files played from the media player. But passing it through is not decoding and I don‘t think that LG would need a DTS licence to just pass it through. Of course the question would be „Why not even passing it through?“. The Samsung I used before could do that. Well, this one’s five years old and I know that current models also don‘t support DTS anymore, but perhaps they pass it through.
    • By News Reporter
      Hopes and aspirations for a good life are universal desires. However, defining what constitutes a good life differs from person to person, culture to culture – there’s just no limit to the myriad of possibilities that brings a ray of light into our lives. This is why LG joined forces with up-and-coming director Jackson Tisi and budding artists around the globe for its Life’s Good Film Project. After all, there’s no better medium than the artistic voice of young souls to explore the multifaceted perspectives that shape our world and the future.

This year, LG called on 531 young auteurs from 33 countries to capture the peoples, cultures and landscapes around the world that highlight the good in life. Tisi led the way with his exceptional creative vision, weaving the clips together into a vibrant 20-minute . The impactful collaboration was shaped around LG’s optimistic message, Life’s Good, but the story is told in the voice of the young visionaries through the lens of their own unique and powerful experiences, delivering a colorful variety to the project both in terms of subject matter and aesthetic visuals.

The film delves into the multitude conditions of the human existence within six chapters that embody a unique element of a good life – from the beauty of nature, the vitality of physical movement, personal growth nurtured in times of solitude to the togetherness and warmth of a close-knit community. The final chapter depicts today’s young generation united in celebration of life, eloquently bringing the film to a close. This emotionally uplifting message – and the amazing depth and range of visual sensations that it accompanies – was lauded by several film industry outlets.

The Life’s Good Film, delivering LG’s brand message, but also gaining sympathy from all around the world in the creative and sophisticated manners, was named a winning entry in well-established film festivals such as the and the . The and nominated the entry as a finalist and the named it second-finalist, a rare feat among brand collaboration films. The much-praised film will be reaching a wider public audience with official screenings at the , , and the in the coming weeks.

“LG hopes to bring a better tomorrow to everyone, especially for the benefit of the younger generation,” said Lee Jung-suk, head of LG’s Global Marketing Center. “We will continue to spread our iconic brand narrative by empowering tomorrow’s leaders and storytellers as the messengers.”
      # # #

link hidden, please login to view
    • By anton de Freitas
      Why does my my Smart TV keep displaying network disconnected network connected
    • By Visalbot
      If I know LG TV give me a hard time like this I didn't buy LG Smart TV. I just bought LG UHD TV 43UP77, and now got stuck with no Netflix on LG Store, and when I press Netflix logo on magic remote, a message poppped up " Content is unavailable. This page is not available"  oh shit....... feel regretful
    • By Alex
      For anyone that has browsed the LG website, you may have noticed random links to LG's feedback form which is powered by CVENT. The direct link is below:

link hidden, please login to view