Quantcast

USB HDD

Martlea

Question

Wonder if anyone might be able to suggest a suitable USB Hard Disk Drive for my 

LG 43UJ630V 43 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV (2017 Model)

I did ask LG support about why these TV's cannot record properly to USB Flash Drives and they just said it doesn't work - not what they advertise is it?

They informed me the recording will work with USB Hard Drive but did not suggest any suitable models which given the TV's seot em to be using USB 2.0 and all available USB HDD now are at least USB 3.0 I would appreciate informed suggestions as to compatible models. The two I suggested to LG support were these which they state are not compatible.

- Toshiba Canvio Basics 1TB Portable External Hard Drive 2.5 Inch USB 3.0, HDTB310EK3AA
- Seagate Expansion 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable 2.5 inch

So which models are compatible and why are LG using slow, years out of date, USB 2.0 in 2017anyway?

3 answers to this question

I think that the only problem with external HDDs may be power related, i.e. TV's USB port may not deliver enough power to HDD. However, this should not be an issue with any modern HDD (2.5", USB 3.0). USB 2.0 should not be a bottleneck. Cable TV channels usually have bitrate  of up to 10 Mb/s. That is 1.25 MB/s, which is supported by any HDD and is way under the capacity of USB 2.0.

Here is the list of drives that my TV (49UH8507) was able to use as a recording device:

1. WD My Passport Ultra 1TB, USB 3.0 plugged into USB 3.0 port on TV

2. Apacer AC233 1TB, USB 3.0 plugged into USB 3.0 port on TV. It also works plugged into 2.0 port.

3. An old Apacer AC203 500GB, USB 2.0 plugged into USB 3.0 port on TV. This HDD was designed to draw power from two USB ports using Y cable. However, it successfully works with a regular mini USB cable.

4. Sandisk Extreme 32GB, USB 3.0 flash disk

5. An old Silicon Power 8GB 3.0 flash disk, plugged into 2.0 port on TV. I successfully recorded some cable TV HD channel .

Virtually anything I tested was working ok.

• Like 1

Finally got a helpful response from LG who suggested a model HDD that should work, it was not different the two I first asked about but anyway I have now obtained a great little 1 Tbyte USB 2.0 HDD from a UK company on Ebay - it is a repackaged WD I believe under the HardDrives For You brand. It is plug n play and works perfectly first time with no formatting or set up needed - brilliant little device with nice bright blue connected light to illuminate the back of the TV. Tested with multiple scheduled recordings, live time machine etc. and last this LG TV does what they claimed  when I bought it. Shame they couldn't manage to get it to work with a Flash Drive though.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By GiovanniG
      Hi, today I've lost about 8 hours trying find out how to open an rtsp of an IP camera into a new 65" OLED TV, which is updated to the latest FW. Tons of apps for IPTV but none of them is able to open a working/tested RTSP, also including it into a playlist m3u file. Nobody in this world has thought to display an RTSP on a LG TV? Looks unbelievable.

I've read a bout "webOS Signage and LG" but no ide how to implement it, install it, nowhere it is described.
      I need to display an rtsp stream on LG tv, I have the chance only woth an external device by HDMI or DLNA? That's a shame..
      Thank you for help
    • By News Reporter
      More Than link hidden, please login to view Available to Play Instantly for New and Existing Owners of
      LG Smart TVs Operating webOS 5.0 or Higher in North America and Europe

SEOUL, Aug. 3, 2022 — LG Electronics (LG) is partnering with Google Stadia to offer three months of access1 to Stadia Pro for both new and existing LG Smart TV owners. This limited-time promotion is now available and applies to LG TVs2 operating webOS 5.0 or higher in the twenty-two countries3 where Stadia, Google’s cloud gaming platform, is now available.
      LG TV owners who claim their free Stadia Pro subscription gain instant access to more than fifty games, with new titles added every month and unique discounts on games and add-on content regularly offered. And with Stadia Pro enabling up to 4K HDR graphics, 60 FPS gameplay and immersive 5.1 surround sound, LG Smart TVs are the perfect choice for avid players seeking the ultimate gaming experience without purchasing an expensive console or gaming PC.
      The Stadia store also features over 250 popular games available to buy, including Cyberpunk 2077, Resident Evil Village, Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla, Hitman 3, Baldur’s Gate 3 as well as access to a growing list of free games and demos, all playable with just a , no game downloads or installs required.
      Claiming this free Stadia Pro offer is quick and easy for LG Smart TV owners, who can just find and click on the Stadia Pro offer within the LG Content Store. There, LG Smart TV owners can scan a QR Code to begin the redemption process on their phone, using their unique code.4
      Already a favorite among gamers worldwide, LG OLED TVs, LG’s premium Smart TV offer, are the ideal choice for playing first person shooters, real-time strategy titles and racing games as they ensure immaculate HDR picture quality, deep blacks and precise colors courtesy of self-lit pixels. What’s more, LG OLED’s ultra-fast 0.1 millisecond response time and extremely low input lag without picture quality loss gives gamers the edge they need to win every time.
      # # #
      1 Offer available to new Stadia Pro subscribers. A valid form of payment is required to sign up, but you will not be charged during the first three months and you may cancel at any time – you must cancel before the three-month period expires or you will be charged for the fourth month. For how to manage your subscription, visit .
      2 Complete list of compatible TV models can be found .
      3 Google Stadia is currently available in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Belgium, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Romania and Hungary.
      4 Offer redeemable from August 3, 2022 to January 31, 2023. Deadline to claim this free Stadia Pro subscription offer varies by market. Terms and conditions apply. Consult LG’s official country website for details.

• By Tanni
      My Lg TV which has the smart functions and magic remote is playing up. 
      I often use web browser or you tube or similar apps to watch videos etc. 
      Recently however, it keeps crashing and displays a message to the effect that the memory in the app is low or it need to close to free up more memory? 
      My TV is less then 2 years old and is doing this. I love the telly and the smart features especially the web browser function, however this recent issue is making me think about the longevity of such LG smart TVs and whether I should've spent a few hundred more and got another telly. 

Please can someone advise what I can do to fix this as it takes away the whole point of smart TV. 
      Thanks 
    • By Bella Lee
      With the Amazon Music app, LG smart TV owners who also happen to be Prime members can finally access two million songs on their TVs. But there is a more convenient approach for you to play Amazon Music on LG smart TV. With an link hidden, please login to view or Mac, you are able to and them play them directly on your smart TV without the Amazon Music app. And you don't worry that your smart TV is not compatible with LG smart TV.
    • By PVN Satyanarayana
      Hi, I purchased my SMART TV model 43LF6300 in the year 2016 and current Firmware Version 04.06.40. Every one India using their favorite app like Disney Hotstar+, Zee5, Aaha and many more apps but those are not available on my TV which is annoying.. I spent Rs. 54000 to buy LG Smart TV but all the latest apps are not available. Please release the latest Web OS for these models at least Beta version unless the TVs like this will be useless and no one trust LG products. Thanks in advance and hope to receive latest Web OS soon.
  • Similar Tagged Content