Quantcast

USB HDD

Martlea

Question

Wonder if anyone might be able to suggest a suitable USB Hard Disk Drive for my 

LG 43UJ630V 43 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV (2017 Model)

I did ask LG support about why these TV's cannot record properly to USB Flash Drives and they just said it doesn't work - not what they advertise is it?

They informed me the recording will work with USB Hard Drive but did not suggest any suitable models which given the TV's seot em to be using USB 2.0 and all available USB HDD now are at least USB 3.0 I would appreciate informed suggestions as to compatible models. The two I suggested to LG support were these which they state are not compatible.

- Toshiba Canvio Basics 1TB Portable External Hard Drive 2.5 Inch USB 3.0, HDTB310EK3AA
- Seagate Expansion 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable 2.5 inch

So which models are compatible and why are LG using slow, years out of date, USB 2.0 in 2017anyway?

3 answers to this question

I think that the only problem with external HDDs may be power related, i.e. TV's USB port may not deliver enough power to HDD. However, this should not be an issue with any modern HDD (2.5", USB 3.0). USB 2.0 should not be a bottleneck. Cable TV channels usually have bitrate  of up to 10 Mb/s. That is 1.25 MB/s, which is supported by any HDD and is way under the capacity of USB 2.0.

Here is the list of drives that my TV (49UH8507) was able to use as a recording device:

1. WD My Passport Ultra 1TB, USB 3.0 plugged into USB 3.0 port on TV

2. Apacer AC233 1TB, USB 3.0 plugged into USB 3.0 port on TV. It also works plugged into 2.0 port.

3. An old Apacer AC203 500GB, USB 2.0 plugged into USB 3.0 port on TV. This HDD was designed to draw power from two USB ports using Y cable. However, it successfully works with a regular mini USB cable.

4. Sandisk Extreme 32GB, USB 3.0 flash disk

5. An old Silicon Power 8GB 3.0 flash disk, plugged into 2.0 port on TV. I successfully recorded some cable TV HD channel .

Virtually anything I tested was working ok.

• Like 1

Finally got a helpful response from LG who suggested a model HDD that should work, it was not different the two I first asked about but anyway I have now obtained a great little 1 Tbyte USB 2.0 HDD from a UK company on Ebay - it is a repackaged WD I believe under the HardDrives For You brand. It is plug n play and works perfectly first time with no formatting or set up needed - brilliant little device with nice bright blue connected light to illuminate the back of the TV. Tested with multiple scheduled recordings, live time machine etc. and last this LG TV does what they claimed  when I bought it. Shame they couldn't manage to get it to work with a Flash Drive though.