Quantcast

Apple TV 4K Issues with LG UJ7700 WebOS 3.5

I'm not sure if this is an LG or Apple issue, or if I have to try a different HDMI cable (the package says it's the latest standard) but here's what I've seen so far:

I have the AppleTV 4k using Dolby Vision which looks great.

1. When using the AppleTV remote to turn on the AppleTV and LG TV (using LG Simplink), sometimes the video signal is messed up – it's blurry and out of sync. Changing the input to Live TV and then back to the AppleTV fixes it. Sometimes it just works right away.

2. When using the LG remote to turn on the TV, then switching to the AppleTV the LG Magic remote automatically controls the AppleTV! This is really cool except that if I switch to Live TV then back to the Apple TV, the LG Magic remote no longer controls the AppleTV.

3. I have the AppleTV 4k behind the LG TV but the range on the AppleTV Remote is greatly reduced and stutters at about 10 feet away from the TV. I have moved the AppleTV to the bottom edge of the TV so it's not visibly noticeable but the range bluetooth is still terrible. Anyone else try to put the AppleTV behind the TV to hide it? Any success with the remote distance? Is there a safe place behind the TV to put it?

I actually don't have any 4K movies on Apple TV... none of my purchases are in 4k (like James Bond and Disney movies, and a few others). The Vudu AppleTV app is currently not 4k, I heard Netflix is but I don't subscribe to it. The SlingTV app on AppleTV has a nicer interface and is more reliable than the LG app. ESPN has a very configurable multi-view so you can watch 1-4 ESPN programs at the same time. I'll have to buy another HDMI cable to see if that fixes the sync and remote issues.

Anyone else try an AppleTV 4k? Likes? Dislikes?

• 2 weeks later...

After looking into Simplink some more, here's what mostly works for me:

1. Make sure the Apple TV is not assigned a specific device in the Input Manager app. Delete it if it has one.

2. Turn off the LG TV's Quickstart mode.

3. Turn off the Simplink mode which turns off the device (Apple TV) when TV power is turned off.

4. Set the Apple TV to never go into standby.

5. Use the LG TV Magic Remote to turn on the TV.

With this setup, the Apple TV can be controlled with the LG TV Magic remote most of the time. Sometimes it loses control and sometimes the video is messed up when the TV is turned on. Using the Apple TV remote to turn on both works, but the LG TV Magic remote won't work to control the Apple TV.

When you switch to the AppleTV, choose the button on the LG TV Magic remote which looks like a Remote icon... this will bring up a little panel and tell you the type of device which is connected. When things are working, the panel says "Apple TV" with a Simplink symbol which I assume it gets the name from the device. When things are not working, the panel says "DVD Player" with a Simplink symbol or sometimes just "HDMI". That's when the remote doesn't do anything and I've had to turn off the TV and try again.

• 1 year later...
On 10/18/2017 at 11:02 PM, Zeroio said:

After looking into Simplink some more, here's what mostly works for me:

1. Make sure the Apple TV is not assigned a specific device in the Input Manager app. Delete it if it has one.

hi, thanks for tips, but i can't find any way to delete ...