Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Sign in to follow this  
NewsDummy

PreCentral: Galaxy S3 gets the cleanest Touchstone mod yet

Galaxy S3 gets the cleanest Touchstone mod yet

Previous efforts to modify Android devices to take advantage of the ever popular Touchstone charger have required at the very least a degree of patience and some non-standard supplies to make wireless charging happen. When Samsung introduced the Galaxy S III back in May, it was supposed to come with wireless charging, though they managed to not show off the wireless charger at the typically odd introduction event. Yet, here we are six months later without the wireless charger publicly available (that's the kind of launch schedule we expect from Palm).

Feeling left out of the three-year-old wireless charging party, Hong Kong-based eBay seller hkrc has taken matters into their own hands, and is now selling modified Galaxy S III back covers with the Touchstone inductive charging coil and appropriate contacts for the Android-based smartphone. The wireless charging backs are going for $28 a pop on eBay, a fair price for something that had to be manually assembled. As of this writing there's just one of the faux-metal dark blue covers available, as well as twenty four-white covers and twenty-six white covers paired with a Palm-brand charger, cable, and Touchstone charging puck for $55.

It's not quite as elegant as the Nexus 4 and its awkwardly-named Wireless Charging Orb, but if you're like us an have Touchstone chargers all over the place and happen to be rocking a Galaxy S III (not so much like us) this could be a useful purchase for you. That said, the Galaxy S III is still largely running Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (Sprint was the first US carrier to roll out Android 4.1 Jelly Bean for the S III, and they did that just last week), while the Nexus 4 will launch with Android 4.2 and its Exhibition-like Daydream mode for the charging dock. When Android 4.2 and its Daydream feature might make it to the Galaxy S III is a big unknown. Or you can just be all boss stick with your aging Pre3 like us. At least until the Galaxy Nexus is running Open webOS at full power.

mf.gif
emailthis2.gif bookmark.gif

a2.imga2t.imgs_ok0wTRR-4

View the full article

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Forum Topics

• webOS 4.0 confirmed within iOS and Android App Release Notes

Thanks to @Peter Alexander and @SSM we have confirmation of webOS 4.0 compatibility within the release notes and information listed for their respective apps in the below topic.   We've confirmed the iOS version changes:   We've also confirmed Android: Both version updated were added this week. We are waiting for an official webOS 4.0 press release from LG and additional information on what models are supported.

By Alex, in LG webOS Smart TV Discussion

• 3 replies
    • Android TV OS to replace LG WebOS

Can I install Android TV OS on my LG 43UJ752T UHD TV which will not get updates anymore?

By Deepak Suresh, in LG webOS Smart TV Discussion

• 1 reply
    • Reading exFAT formatted USB storage devices

Yesterday, I connected my 2 TB external HDD formatted as exFAT to my 55" webOS TV to realise that it was not reading - turns out that the TV does not support exFAT. 

By mcored, in LG webOS Wish List

• 7 replies
    • Question: Auto Refresh Required on HTML page through LG WebOs

Hello world,

I need  to show a web page in my LG 43LH5700 through HTML page this page containing (JS+CSS) connected to the screen through Ethernet cable only , but this web page should be able to refresh its content every 2 minutes... 
      Can somebody help me? Do I need to buy a small PC for that ??
      -Do you know some application able to do this?
       Thanks

By Haitham Rabie, in LG webOS Smart TV Questions

• Awaiting best answer

• 0 votes
      • 0 answers
    • webOS was the inspiration for Android P

Interesting article and for those that had a Palm webOS device, you'll appreciate this! No Android P didn’t blatantly copy the iPhone gestures, webOS was the inspiration Most people who saw last night’s Google I/O 2018 keynote could’ve mistaken the new gestures in Android P as an iPhone X copy, but that’s simply not the case. Google didn’t seek inspiration from Apple’s new iPhone X. In fact, Google and Apple both drew inspiration from the same operating system – webOS. And the designer of webOS is Matias Duarte, who is the brains behind Google’s Material Design language – something Google talked a lot about at yesterday’s keynote. For the bystander and armchair journalist it would seem that Apple was copied yet again by Google, but originally, it was Apple who copied an iconic user interface paradigm which was designed and evangelized by Duarte almost a decade ago. Back in the day, the Palm Pre which was a product championed by former Apple executive Jon Rubinstein had a gesture based user interface that allowed users to swipe the home bar – a sophisticated control mechanism which went beyond the standard button that the iPhone and original Android phones used at the time to enable gestures. At the time, these phones didn’t have the technology to have full bezel-less displays hence that area was needed. Using the home bar, one could flick up to bring up the dock and swipe fully up to bring up a card view of all recently viewed apps. Conceptually, this isn’t too dissimilar from what the iPhone X incorporated on its Super Retina display and what Duarte’s current team has implemented on Android. This design change comes from one of the themes around the Android P release which has a focus on the bezel-less trend and as demonstrated by Google’s Dave Burke, VP of Android program management, even a smaller 5-inch display device like the Pixel 2. Both the iPhone and now Android borrow this fundamental concept and rightly so, as this is an intuitive way to evolve the control cluster – as the iPhone over indexed on a singular button while Android phones opted for a medley of three software buttons or hardware buttons amongst other odd combinations. Duarte’s vision coming full circle More so, since Duarte is a part of Google and also the creator of this user interface concept – it would be highly unfair to say that Google copied Apple or Apple copied webOS. This concept was hobbled by the technology of the time and this is the right time for it to hit critical mass. At the time when Duarte left Palm to join Google and revitalize the company around design, one of his first projects was around Android Honeycomb and Ice Cream Sandwich which also drew inspiration from his work at Palm – the card based multitasking views. It took his team two more editions of Android, an overall 2 years more, with the launch of Lollipop to mobilize the company around a design motif called Material Design, which centers a digital environment space in layers interacting like paper with touch inputs. That was 2014 by the way and 4 years later Google is again mobilized around Material Design phase 2, which further incorporates some of his older concepts. The concepts might be old but the implementation is bang on. The fact that Apple has gone in that direction and even OnePlus has built something similar for its phones is evidence enough, even I can report that it works really well on a Pixel 2 XL, it's been a day that I have been testing the beta version. Source: http://in.pcmag.com/google-1/121112/opinion/no-android-p-didnt-blatantly-copy-the-iphone-gestures-webos

By Alex, in Palm Pre and Pre Plus

• 0 replies