Quantcast

New webOS 2.0 Firmware ver. 4.05.01

Hi everyone,

I made in this post a little firmware update tutorial. However if you don't have the knowledge to do this, ask for someone's help. I am not, in any way, responsible for any bricked devices.

So now, let's see the good news.

I just updated manually the firmware, cause OTA it was not available(although it apears on my country's website, but probably wasn't published on the update servers) and the first thing I've noticed is that the startup is even faster now. On previous version (4.01.00) upon turning on the TV and wanting to change the channel would take from 6-7 second up to 11-12. With 4.05.01, I can change the channel in 2-3 seconds. Also, the animations when moving through the menus seem to be a lot faster. Regarding if this is a lite version of webOS 3.0(e.g.: new menu icons, multiple user profiles, magic zoom, ), I think it is not, since I haven't noticed any new features compared to the old 4.01.00 version. I think this firmware brings only performance improvements. But we are on the right path.

So if anyone was wondering, in order to update the firmware from the USB memory stick, you need to follow next steps:

1. Connect USB Stick to PC or MAC and create a folder called "LG_DTV" on this USB stick

2. Download the update firmware from this link

link hidden, please login to view
. Insert your TV model and hit Search button. Download the latest version updated on the latest date(4.05.01 was published on 13.06.2016) and extract it on your desktop/download location. Now you will have a .epk file extension called "starfish-dvb-secured-m14tv-1.biscayne.m14tv-145-04.05.01-prodkey_usb_V3_SECURED".

3. Inside the LG_DTV folder copy the extracted file with .epk extension called "starfish-dvb-secured-m14tv-1.biscayne.m14tv-145-04.05.01-prodkey_usb_V3_SECURED" and then, safely remove the USB Stick from PC.

4. Connect the USB Stick to one of the TV's USB ports in the back and now SmartShare app will appear and also a notification to install the new Firmware.

5. Close the SmartShare app, and go to Install option. Now you have to wait...Read step 6

6. When the TV will have copied the Firmware from the USB stick, a message will appear on the upper right corner which will say that the new firmware will be installed upon rebooting the TV.

7. Shutdown the TV and hit the ON/OFF button on the remote again to turn it on, wait for the new firmware to be installed and configured. All your programs will remain in the order they were saved(so no need to configure again the channels) and also all the apps will be installed(no need to reinstall them).

That's it. Enjoy your new faster TV.

The best update change is that the TV (I have a 55UF950V) now supports HDR!

It certainly works via the USB sockets at least.

Download some demo's (I suggest the Life Of Pi) and the TV will show the 'HDR Mode ON' banner at the top right

I don't have a UHD Blu ray player so cant confirm if it works through HDMI.

I've played a few Netflix and Amazon prime 4K  movies and shows and the banner hasn't shown up on those but they look ok anyway.

I've previously played some HDR demo's and they all looked washed out, now they look fantastic.

I just found a problem regarding this firmware. If I have, let's say National Geographic on program number 17, sometimes when I open the tv, the program changes to a random number (today it jumped to 34, but at 34 I already had another program installed). And now I have program #17 free (no channel installed) and on position 34 I have two programs. This needs an immediate fix, cause it's one very annoying bug. I already reordered the programs 3 times, and this thing keeps happening.

Can anyone confirm this?

• 2 weeks later...

Older: "After a few days of testing, I come to the conclusion that Plex App for webOS was to blame. When I had it installed, well, you can read the previous comment of what it did. Now it's been 4 days since I uninstalled it and the bug didn't occured. That is why I came to this conclusion. I already bought XPlay, so I have no problem with Plex app being uninstalled."

I thought that Plex app was to blame the Program jumping from one number to another, but today it happened again. I don't know what the problem is exactly, but as I said in the 5th july post, this needs to be fixed as soon as possible.

Do someone from LG reads these posts? I am curious, cause I have my LG TV for almost 2 months, and discovered this forum since the first week with it. Hope LG have some people that read this, in order to know how to fix some of the problems their TVs have.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Can anyone confirm any change to the hateful wireless that this os has... I mean I could never attach any headphone (other than lg) to the TV? I have like 3 beautiful (and useless) headphones and I can't use them because the wireless search on my 49 inch lg tv never sees them... I just hate LG for that.... I'd never buy another LG tv... Any upgrade about that point... Any help????? 

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...