Quantcast

LG Micro LED Technology Nabs Top Presidential Award at Int’l Light Convergence EXPO 2021

News Reporter

Innovation Opens Up Opportunities for Micro LED Displays with Enhanced
Picture Quality, Deeper Blacks and Customization Options

LG-Micro-LED-01.jpg

SEOUL, Oct. 13, 2021 — LG Electronics’ Micro LED technology has been named the recipient of the Presidential Award at the International Light Convergence EXPO 2021, which kicked off today in South Korea. LG developed a new application method by which the RGB chips are transferred directly on the Thin Film Transistor (TFT) glass backplane rather than the traditional printed circuit board, taking the technology to the next level. LG’s innovation opens the door to exciting new possibilities offering high-resolution images with blacks that are deeper and more realistic.

Micro LED delivers stunning picture quality with exceptional brightness, contrast and clarity and are self-emissive, employing tiny light-emitting diodes. The LG’s next generation Micro LED technology with the award-winning offers vibrant, accurate colors and deep blacks for an immersive viewing experience. The modular design of this versatile display gives customers the ability to customize screen sizes to fit desired spaces and preferences. All this comes with a sleek bezel-less design to integrate seamlessly into walls and surrounding environments.

Attracting approximately 200 organizations exhibiting across 500 booths, the International Light Convergence EXPO is an annual event showcasing the latest developments in advanced LED, OLED, signage and lighting technologies. Each year, the Government Award Ceremony organized by Korea’s Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy and the Korea Trade-Investment Promotion Agency recognizes significant contributions toward furthering the advancement of LED and OLED development.

“LG is delighted to participate in this expo once again and incredibly honored to receive this recognition for our innovations in Micro LED technology,” said Paik Ki-mun, senior vice president and head of the Information Display business unit of LG Electronics Business Solutions Company. “With Micro LED products, we’re excited about this technology as both an innovator as well as a manufacturer.”

With its advanced technologies and manufacturing know-how, LG unveiled its first Micro LED product in 2020, further strengthening its global reputation as a display innovator. LG’s first Micro LED signage product

link hidden, please login to view
seamlessly combines the ultimate picture quality and brightness with its industry-leading technologies.

The International Light Convergence EXPO 2021 runs from October 13-15 at the Korea International Exhibition Center (KINTEX) in Goyang, South Korea.

# # #

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By News Reporter
      Designed for the Healthcare Sector, Company’s Latest Medical Monitor
      Provides Impressive Imaging and Convenient Features

SEOUL, Oct. 9, 2024 — LG Electronics (LG) is launching its new 31.5-inch surgical monitor (model 32HR734S) featuring advanced Mini LED display technology. Designed to provide color video displays of images from surgical endoscopes, laparoscopic camera systems and other compatible medical imaging systems, LG’s monitor has received 510(k) clearance from the U.S. FDA, indicating it can now be sold in the U.S. The 32HR734S’s Mini LED technology enables precise brightness control and provides a wide color range, optimizing image clarity and color, making it an ideal choice for a variety of surgical applications, including laparoscopy and endoscopy.
      The 32HR734S features a 31.5-inch, 4K resolution (3,840 x 2,160) Mini-LED display leveraging thousands of tiny LED diodes as the Back Light Unit (BLU). Delivering 2,000 cd/m² peak brightness and a dynamic contrast ratio of 1,000,000:1, LG’s medical monitor leverages 1,536 local dimming zones to produce clear, detailed images and enhanced visual contrast. The display also provides excellent color consistency across the screen and boasts 98 percent coverage of the DCI-P3 color space.
      In addition to its impressive visual performance, the 32HR734S delivers the durability and reliability necessary for surgical settings. Employing Optical Bonding technology, along with Anti-Glare, Anti-Reflection and Anti-Fingerprint coatings on its front, LG’s 32HR734S 4K surgical monitor ensures optimal visibility even in brightly lit operating rooms. What’s more, the front and rear of the product (IP45- and IP32-rated, respectively) offer excellent resistance to water and dust, preventing fluids or particles from disrupting monitor operation during surgeries.
      The 32HR734S is also the first LG surgical monitor to incorporate the innovative Clone Screen feature. Clone Screen allows users to duplicate the image being displayed on the 32HR734S on a second monitor (connected via HDMI), significantly enhancing operational efficiency and communication within the surgical environment, especially in situations where multiple medical professionals need to view the same image.
      For added versatility, the display’s Mirror Mode makes it possible to flip the on-screen image horizontally, while Rotation Mode can rotate the image 180 degrees to match the orientation of the surgical camera. The 32HR734S also provides Picture-in-Picture (PIP) and Picture-by-Picture (PBP) functionality, the latter allowing the display of up to four different image sources simultaneously. This enables medical staff to view a combination of inputs or images, such as laparoscopic and fluoroscopic images, while monitoring the patient’s vital signs at the same time.
      “Featuring advanced Mini LED technology, the 32HR734S delivers the excellent picture quality and convenient functionality needed in surgical settings,” said YS Lee, vice president and head of the IT business unit of LG Business Solutions Company. “We believe our new model will significantly boost efficiency for medical professionals performing and assisting with surgeries.”
      Key Specifications:
      LG Surgical Monitor (32HR734S)
      Size 31.5-inch Backlight Technology Mini LED Screen Resolution 4K (3,840 x 2,160) Display Panel Type IPS Aspect Ratio 16:9 Surface Treatment Protection Glass (Optical Bonding, Anti-Reflection, Anti-Fingerprint, and Anti-Glare) Color Gamut (Typ.) DCI-P3 98% Brightness (Typ.) 800cd/m² Brightness (Stabilization)
      500cd/m² Peak Brightness (Typ.) 2000cd/m² Color Bit 10bit Contrast Ratio (Typ.) 1,000:1 Response Time (Gray-To-Gray)1
      5ms Features DICOM Compliant Yes Hardware Calibration LG Calibration Studio HDR HDR 10, HDR Effect Video Signals Input Terminals HDMI x 1, DisplayPort x 1, SDI (12G / 3G) x 4, DVI-D x 1 Output Terminals HDMI (Clone Screen) x 1, SDI (12G / 3G) x 4 Connectivity USB USB 3.0 1 Upstream, 1 Downstream Power AC Input 100-240Vac, 50/60Hz Power Consumption 130W (Max) / Less than 0.3W (DC Off) Durability IP Resistance Rating2 IP453 (Front), IP324 (Except for Front), IK065 User
      Convenience PBP Yes (2 / 3 / 4 PBP) PIP Yes Screen Flip Mirror Mode, Rotation Mode Failover Input Switch Yes Physical Specifications
      Weight 9.7 kg Wall Mount Size 200 x 100 / 100 x 100 mm # # #
      1 GtG: Gray-to-gray response time.
      2 Tested under controlled laboratory conditions with an IP/ IK rating. Dry before using. Do not charge while wet.
      3 IP45: Protected against solid foreign objects of 1.0 mm and greater / Protected against access to hazardous parts with a wire / Protected against water jets.
      4 IP32: Protected against solid foreign objects of 2.5 mm and greater / Protected against access to hazardous parts with a tool / Protected against vertically falling water drops when enclosure tilted up to 15°.
      5 IK06: Protected against 1-joule impacts.
      *Specifications may vary by region and all features, standards, and other product specifications are subject to change without notice or obligation.

• By News Reporter
      Companies Set to Introduce Cutting-Edge Bluetooth Ultra-Low Latency Technology
      that Revolutionizes Cloud Gaming Experiences for webOS Smart TV Users

SEOUL, Sep. 27, 2024 — LG Electronics (LG) has collaborated with Razer and MediaTek to introduce the world’s first Bluetooth Ultra-Low Latency (BT ULL) Controller at LG webOS Summit 2024 on September 27. This groundbreaking technology was showcased through an LG webOS smart TV and Razer’s Bluetooth gaming controller, demonstrating the game-changing 1ms input lag.
      The webOS summit, which welcomed 300 representatives from 140 partner companies – including content developers, producers and providers – from 24 countries, shared LG’s strategic vision and future initiatives for expanding its AI webOS ecosystem and platform business.
      Razer, a leading global lifestyle brand for gamers, has developed the first game controller featuring BT ULL technology. To showcase its upgraded performance, LG and Razer compared a BT ULL-enabled Bluetooth game controller to a standard controller during the event. The demonstration highlighted the superior responsiveness, reduced input lag and control precision of the BT ULL technology across various cloud-based games, including FPS, fighting and racing titles.
      The latest BT ULL technology offers the perfect cloud gaming performance, catering to competitive players who require lightning-fast response times to excel in their games.
      In an industry first, LG plans to introduce a certification program for third-party game controllers in the near future to ensure BT ULL-supported controllers work seamlessly with LG webOS smart TVs. Razer will be the first company to obtain LG’s certification.
      Meanwhile, LG and MediaTek, a global fabless semiconductor company, are jointly developing the BT ULL technology to be integrated into MediaTek’s Wi-Fi “MT7921” chipset. This chipset will also feature the efficient and reliable Wi-Fi 6 technology from MediaTek’s Filogic series.
      These collaborative efforts aim to enable LG webOS smart TVs owners to immediately dive into online multiplayer cloud games with the enhanced response times, delivering unprecedented levels of realism during gameplay.
      The latest premium LG OLED TVs and LG QNED TVs, supporting refresh rates of 120Hz or higher, are scheduled to launch in 2025 with BT ULL technology.
      “LG is committed to consistently introducing more advanced features designed to immerse gamers in their favorite titles and to differentiate its gaming experiences,” said Baik Seon-pill, head of the LG Home Entertainment Company’s Product Planning Division. “As the LG webOS platform evolves, so will the features that make it the ultimate gaming platform for every type of gamer.”
      # # #

• By pivotCE
      Well, it’s 2024 and technology continues to advance. The TouchPad isn’t new by any means, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be slightly modernized to be more convenient today. Specifically, it is entirely possible to convert the TouchPad’s Micro USB port to USB C for charging and USB storage access. I’ll show you how.
      This is a tough mod which requires micro-soldering and modifying a PCB which you will have a hard time sourcing a replacement for without buying another TouchPad. Proceed at your own peril.
      Tools for the Job
      To do this mod you’ll need a few things for tools and parts. Here’s a list of what I used:
      – Needle nose pliers/tweezers
      – USB C boards with 5.1k resistors
      – Soldering iron, solder, flux and a hot air station
      – Flush cuts
      – Dremel with cutting or sanding wheel
      – 28 AWG wire or smaller. 30 AWG is pretty good but any wire around 0.25mm to 0.5mm should work.
      – Small file and screwdriver set
      – Painter’s and kapton tape
      – Metal spudger Disassemble the TouchPad
      This is where you’re going to want to get that metal spudger out and be very careful not to snap clips. I can’t explain it better than iFixit already did so go check out their and then come back here.
      Modify the USB Connector Board by Removing the Micro Port
      There are a few ways to remove the Micro USB port. I added a bunch of flux and coated all the connectors in fresh leaded solder and then used a hot air station set to 800 degrees while wiggling the port very slightly with needle nose pliers. You don’t have to be particularly careful here so if you want to cut the port off with the dremel or the flush cuts or just rip it off with the pliers, (I don’t recommend it but…) that’s fine. We’re not using the pads it’s soldered to anyway. You should STILL be careful not to crack the board. Go slow. Be patient.
      Trim the USB C Board
      We need to expose the USB C port a bit on this board so let’s cut it down. Grab the painter’s tape and flip the USB C board upside down. You’ll see a small trace between the front and rear anchor points on the right side, which we don’t want to cut. Mark the tape just on the other side of that trace like I did. Dremel along the tape line until you get to the port. You can then use needle nose pliers, a flat file, and/or flush cuts to remove the rest of the board from the bottom of the port.
      Prepare the USB Connector Board for the USB C Port
      We need to slide the port into the old space so grab the painter’s tape again and mark off the area I marked to make room for the USB C port. You can place the port up to it like I did and use that as a guide. Grab your dremel again or a similar tool and cut out what you marked off. When you’re done, the USB C port should slide easily into the groove. It will fit tighter when we add the kapton tape in a later step.
      Make Room in the TouchPad for the Added Thickness of the USB C Board
      The USB C board will sit underneath the USB connector board so we have to make room by trimming away the plastic underneath. For this you’ll need to use flush cuts or any other tool you have to chip away. You could use the dremel for this if you’d like. Be careful to not go beyond the first inner layer. Beyond that is the outer shell of the TouchPad. There’s no real method here, just cut out the screw posts and chip away. Use the pictures below as a guide.
      Cut the USB C Hole from the Old Micro USB Hole
      To open the micro USB hole enough to fit the USB C port, take a rounded file to the left and right of both sides and just file a little bit at at time. Use a small flat file to widen the top and bottom of the port. This process is just trial and error. File a little and then grab the USB C board to test. The port will need to fit inside the hole a bit so you can push it through from the outside to test the hole size if that’s easier. Note: the USB C board will likely not rest on the bottom of the TouchPad and will float a little. This is good because it makes room for your wires and a little kapton tape underneath.
      Tape the USB C Board
      Since we hacked away at the USB connector board it’s possible we’ve provided the perfect environment for creating shorts! Oh no! So get out the kapton tape because we’re going to add a layer on both sides. You’ll see how I did it on one side below. Do it on both sides. You’ll also notice how I did not cover those two small square contacts just at the bottom of the tape. That’s because we need them.
      Where To Get Power and Data
      You’ll see the diagrams below which I’ve marked with VBUS (power), data in, data out, and ground. Obviously the old port is gone and most if its pads, but I wanted to show that both sides of the board have the connections. You could possibly do this mod differently, and if you so choose, hopefully these help.
      A quick note: this mod can be done with a 4-pin USB C port. That would give you power and data just like with the USB C board I’m using in this guide, however, a 4-pin USB C board will not charge with a USB C charger (ie USB 3.1). The board I’m using in this guide provides the ability to use any charger because it comes pre-built with 5.1k resistors wired to CC1 and CC2 to ground. This is the trick that tells the USB C chargers to send power to the device.
      Solder the USB C Board into the USB Connector Board
      This isn’t a “how to solder tutorial” so hit up youtube and find a good tutorial that works for you. In general though, use flux, pre-tin the VBUS, Ground, D-, and D+ pads on the USB C board as well as the points on the bottom of the USB connector board.
      Now for the tricky part, I didn’t list it in the Tools section above, but it would really help to have magnification or a digital microscope for this. I have these things and I used both. You might have steadier hands and better eyes than me. The picture below was my first attempt of the three TouchPads I modded, and it’s not my best soldering work, but fundamentally, this is what yours should look like.
      Put the Pieces Together
      You can use a bit of kapton tape to secure the wires in place a bit more if you’d like but it’s not required. It won’t short since it’s only plastic underneath. This is all press fit into place, but if you’re uncomfortable with that, you can add a little hot glue under the board as you put it back into the TouchPad. You don’t have to put the metal shield back into place if you don’t want to. It’s all a pretty tightly fit and if you find the TouchPad screen isn’t as flush as you want, just leave the metal shield off. A little kapton tape right on top would be fine instead.
      Congrats, You Now Have USB C
      I did this mod on three TouchPads and each one works fine with any USB charger I could find, including USB C port having USB 3.1 chargers. I can also confirm the data connection works just like it should to connect via USB mode on PC. Sadly, this doesn’t do anything to stop webOS from telling you the charger you’re using isn’t the original TouchPad barrel charger, but you can make a custom cable to stop that which I’ll cover in a future article on pivotCE.

#webOS4ever

The post first appeared on . Related posts:

• By News Reporter
      A Joint Effort Between LG and Top Research Universities, Consortium to Accelerate
      the Development of Next-Generation Heat Pump and Establish Industry Standards

SEOUL, Sep. 24, 2024 — LG Electronics (LG) is hosting the first-ever meeting of the Global Heat Pump Consortium in Seoul, South Korea, from September 23-26. A cooperative venture between LG and a growing number of international universities, the consortium is focused on developing new, more efficient heat pump technologies, including solutions designed to handle harsh climatic conditions. The event brings together LG personnel and academics from participating universities to introduce heat pump technologies and discuss industry-academia projects being conducted by each of the consortium’s regional clusters.
      The Global Heat Pump Consortium comprises LG-led heat pump R&D consortiums established in Alaska, USA (November 2023) and in Oslo, Norway and Harbin, China (June and August of 2024, respectively). The consortium also includes a South Korean cluster, with LG working collaboratively with respected universities in Seoul and Busan to drive heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) innovation.
      On the first day of the event, LG introduced key heat pump technologies and products from its industry-leading lineup of high-efficiency HVAC solutions. Each regional consortium then provided an update on its specific research tasks and shared its current progress in evaluating high-performance heat pump tech for challenging climates. The inaugural meeting of the global consortium is also offering attendees valuable learning opportunities, with seminars and discussions on topics, including the latest HVAC industry and market trends, and future technologies for region-specific heat pump solutions.
      Through cooperating with universities known for their top-tier HVAC research programs, LG is strengthening its own R&D capabilities and accelerating the development of the next generation of heat pumps. The company anticipates that the groundbreaking work being carried out by the consortium will also help strengthen its competitiveness in the global heating and cooling solutions market.
      Internationally, the demand for high-efficiency, low-carbon-emission heat pumps is rapidly increasing, in large part due to the worldwide electrification and decarbonization trends. Solidifying its status as a technology leader and responsible corporate citizen, LG is leveraging its cutting-edge heat pump technology to deliver region-specific heating and cooling solutions for the North American, European and Asian HVAC markets.
      At an investor forum in August, LG highlighted “B2B acceleration” as one of its four key strategies for business portfolio innovation. The HVAC business, a major component of the company’s diverse B2B portfolio, has become a market leader based on the strength of its advanced, highly-efficient core technologies, such as inverter compressors, heat exchangers and AI engines.
      Around the globe, LG is enhancing the capabilities of its HVAC business through creating locally complete systems encompassing R&D, sales, manufacturing and maintenance. In addition, the company currently operates five Air Solution Research Labs – with facilities located in Korea, North America, Europe and India – and has a network of HVAC academies spanning 43 countries and training over 30,000 engineers annually.
      “We are committed to accelerating our HVAC business, with heat pump innovation as the cornerstone of our vision,” said James Lee, head of the Air Solution Business Unit at LG Electronics Home Appliance & Air Solution Company. “Through the Global Heat Pump Consortium, we aim to lead the HVAC industry with decarbonization solutions aligned with the global electrification trend.”
      # # #

• By News Reporter
      With art’s innate ability to inspire and transform our perceptions on life, LG has long championed its intersection with the most cutting-edge technology. This commitment led to the launch of the LG OLED ART project, which showcases vibrant digital canvases that celebrate the beauty of art through millions of self-illuminating pixels. This initiative has already recreated several masterpieces from world-renowned artists and fostered collaborations with some of the most distinctive contemporary artists on Earth.

In line with this initiative, LG Vietnam recently kicked off ‘The Future Becomes Now’ digital art exhibition on the first floor of Lotte Mall West Lake. This exhibition plunges visitors into the latest OLED masterpieces, highlighting a decade-long commitment to pioneering OLED technology.

To curate one of the most interactive and multi-sensory art experiences the nation has ever seen, LG Vietnam collaborated with the skilled Vietnamese visual artists of Fustic Studio. The result is an immersive art gallery experience that guides visitors on a journey through the interconnectedness of all things, from the harmonious cycles of nature to the universe and technology.

The artworks on display are being showcased on a massive canvas comprised of six expansive LG OLED TVs. Visitors can even add to each artwork’s beauty through interactive hand gestures inspired by LG OLED evo M4’s revolutionary Zero Connect technology. With cameras in front of the TV and a system behind tracking visitors’ movements, guests can create and interact with the artwork on the screen.

One of the exhibition’s focal points is its multi-sensory experience space, which reflects a contemporary trend in art viewing that seamlessly integrates sound, materials and light. Visitors can fully immerse themselves in a futuristic vision where technology and digital data harmonize with nature and the universe. Fustic Studio drew much of its inspiration from LG’s dedication to pushing technological boundaries and enriching user experiences, particularly through the breathtaking beauty of LG’s OLED masterpieces.

The exhibition also gives visitors the opportunity to explore the company’s newest OLED TVs, which come with comprehensive upgrades designed to meet consumers’ entertainment needs by excelling in four key areas: freedom, intelligence, immersion and style.

In the “Beyond Freedom” zone, visitors can experience the world’s first wireless 4K 144Hz OLED TV, the LG OLED evo M4. This model uses the Zero Connect Box to eliminate clutter from wires and peripheral devices, giving home designers the freedom to install their TV wherever they choose. LG has also enhanced the user experience by applying the latest α (Alpha) 11 AI processor to its new OLED evo M4 and G4 series, enabling them to go “Beyond Intelligence.” This upgrade delivers four times faster AI performance, 70 percent enhanced graphics performance and 30 percent faster processing speeds compared to the previous generation.

In addition, the 2024 LG OLED TV lineup promises to take users “Beyond Immersion” with screen sizes ranging from 48 to 83 inches. Even LG’s largest OLED TVs retain that trademark ultra-thin design, exuding luxury and making any living space sleeker and more stylish. The exhibition also introduced products that go “Beyond Style,” including the new LG Object Posé and LG StanbyME with various improvements. Among them, the newest Posé model uses a new OLED evo display as well as the latest Alpha 9 AI Gen 7 processor.

The LG X Fustic Studio art exhibition highlights the close relationship between art and technology through truly inspiring works. Stay tuned to
      link hidden, please login to view to discover more initiatives that showcase LG’s latest innovations in uniquely captivating ways. Contributed by LG Vietnam
      # # #