Quantcast

PreCentral: Whitman: Google+Motorola could lead to closed source Android, drive manufacturers to webOS

News Reporter

Meg Whitman

HP CEO Meg Whitman took to the stage at HP's Global Partner Conference in Las Vegas today, and what she said was both encouraging and left us with our mouths hanging wide open. According to reports from the event, Whitman reiterated

link hidden, please login to view
to , stating that "it will take 2-5 years to fully play out" the impact of webOS on the mobile ecosystem. So HP is committed to webOS for the long haul, that's a good thing.

But then Meg went a little off the rails, suggesting that could lead to Android going closed source in the future, opening the door to licensees for webOS. We'll be the first to admit that such a scenario is the dream sequence of events for HP and Microsoft, but it's not going to happen. The only way Google makes money off Android right now is by serving ads to mobile websites and through apps. That's it. Unless Google could dramatically grow Motorola device sales to cover the hundreds of thousands of daily activations Android sees today and in the future, Google has no reason to take Android closed source.

Now we have no doubt that Google is going to play a strong role in the development of Motorola's Android products going forward, and that no doubt will worry and irritate other Android licensees. Could that drive them to adopt Windows Phone and webOS to mitigate the risks posed by competing with a supplier? Sure, that could happen. But we don't see anything as drastic or insane as the closed source switch-up Whitman is suggesting.

Source: ,

mf.gif

a2t.imgp1d4XOTYUOs

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Renver
      Hi,
      When i power on my OLED55C8PLA TV it always starts at the source 'SET UP BOX' even there is no set up box connected. We only use HDMI2. That is also always the used source when we power down the TV. Its quite anoying the TV doesnt starts the input last used.
      I hope someone can help me with this issue!
      Thanks!
    • By viewer
      Ever since our last software upgrade, to 04.41.35, when the TV and cable are powered on, it no longer just defaults to HDMI1 like we need it to.  So LG menus come up and linger there for several minutes -- and *maybe* it goes to HDMI1 Ithen.  I know i can grab the TV clicker to arrow my way to the connect, or perhaps hit exit, but used to NOT need the TV clicker for this case.  Is there a way to have it assume the correct connect?  Or go back to the previous, unbroken software version? Thanks!
    • By Chris B
      Hi,
      How do I turn on unknown source options on my LG C9 please? I can’t find the option anywhere……appreciate any help
    • By News Reporter
      Receiving Certification for ISO/IEC DIS 18974 Compliance, Company
      Aims to Strengthen Competitiveness of Its Software-Based Businesses

SEOUL, April 28, 2023 — LG Electronics (LG) recently earned industry-first recognition for its software supply chain security management system, receiving ISO/IEC DIS 18974 certification – the international standard for open source software (OSS) security management systems established by the Linux Foundation’s OpenChain Project. Comprised of a global network of companies, the OpenChain Project is a voluntary consultative body focused on building trust in the OSS supply chain.
      LG’s software supply chain security management system meets over thirty of the requirements stipulated by the OpenChain Project, including the establishment of internal policies related to OSS security, the periodic updating of security policies and the use of various tools for software security testing.
      The first global manufacturer to obtain the ISO/IEC DIS 18974 certification, LG continues to demonstrate its advanced capabilities and a strong commitment to responding to security vulnerabilities in the software supply chain.
      As part of the company’s strategy to upgrade its business portfolio, the company is accelerating its advancement into non-hardware business areas, such as platforms, solutions as well as content and services, by leveraging its accumulated software capabilities and expertise in diverse segments including home appliances, TVs, electric vehicle components and B2B solutions. Additionally, by securing global competitiveness in terms of OSS supply chain security and stability, LG expects to further strengthen overall business competitiveness.
      With the heavy reliance on software systems in today’s business environment, the importance of OSS security cannot be overstated. According to the
      link hidden, please login to view released by global security company, Synopsys, about 81 percent of OSS used in software development has security vulnerabilities. OSS is distributed with its source code, making it publicly available for use, modification and distribution by anyone at any time. It can reduce the time and cost of software development and is advantageous in terms of ecosystem expansion, leading to its wide use across service and platform development.
      In 2019, LG became the first Korean company to conform to ISO/IEC 5230, the International Standard for open source license compliance. In 2014, the company developed the OSS management tool ‘FOSSLight’ (Free and Open Source Software Light), which has been available to external developers, contributing to the revitalization of the global OSS ecosystem since 2021.
      “LG will further enhance its capabilities for security for products and services by continuously upgrading its open source software security management system,” said Park In-sung, head of the Software Center at LG Electronics.
      For those interested in learning more about the OpenChain Project, please visit the .
      # # #

• By coyote
      I'm surprised by how few Settings there are.  Is there an Android Settings App?