Quantcast

[On the Job] 6G: Hype or Hope?

News Reporter

6G_01-600x333.jpg

In this segment of On the Job, we take a look at the development of 6G technology, its challenges and its promises.

Estimated to be 50 times faster than 5G, 6G is expected to transform the communication spectrum. But isn’t this what the industry predicted for 5G? How much of this is true and how much of this is just wishful? With the help of someone in the know, let’s take a look at what 6G promises for the future.

6G_02-600x405.png

Recently, LG

link hidden, please login to view
a breakthrough in 6th generation mobile telecommunication development by successfully demonstrating the transmission and reception of wireless 6G THz data over 100 meters in an outdoor setting. 6G uses terahertz frequencies which refer to the spectrum between 0.1 to 10 THz electromagnetic wave with wavelengths of 30 to 3000 micrometers. THz signals are very sensitive to shadows which significantly impact coverage. Furthermore, lower frequency terahertz experiences larger free space fading. While only a test, the LG demonstration was a meaningful achievement and milestone in the evolution of 6G.

6G_03-600x439.png

According to Dr. Lee Ki-dong, principal research engineer at LG Electronics, 6G technology will play a key role for promising future industries including autonomous vehicles, AI robots and virtual and augmented reality-based technologies. As a leader in 6G development, Dr. Lee has more than two decades of experience in the research and standardization of wireless communication systems and is an expert in C-V2X (Cellular Vehicle to Everything), a key technology for autonomous vehicles and service robots that connect to networks. Earlier this year, Dr. Lee was elected chairperson of the Applications Working Group of the Next G Alliance, an initiative of the Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions (ATIS) to advance the development and standardization of 6G.

6G_04-600x333.jpg

LG is in a unique position to establish global leadership in 6G, with a world-class portfolio and experience in 5G, where it ranked second globally as of June with more than 4,000 5G standard essential patents, according to German patent research firm IPlytics. For LG, 6G is a key component of its focus on mobility, autonomous vehicles and cloud-based service robots. A pioneer in C-V2X innovations, LG has been an industry leader in the fast-growing telematics market for nearly a decade and is leading the way in establishing global standards for this technology.

6G_05-600x333.jpg

Dr. Lee envisions a new era of fully autonomous ground and aerial vehicles at the end of this decade, potentially paving the way for wider commercialization of AI service robots as a solution to the imbalance of resource allocation. Healthcare delivery, for example, is expected to reach a critical point with demand for workers expected to far exceed supply. Remote or local medical robotics service utilizing networked robots could improve the quality of healthcare delivery and help save lives.

6G_06-600x333.jpg

With aging populations in many countries, the old-age dependency ratio (OADR) is expected to rise significantly in the next three decades. According to the UN’s , OADRs were highest in Europe and North America with 30 persons aged 65 or older per 100 persons aged 20-64 years and projected to reach 49 elderly per 100 under 65 years of age in 2050. In this scenario, service robots can play a key role in our future society that requires more labor resources to support the aging population.

6G_07-600x333.jpg

“What self-driving cars and remote surgery have in common is the need for connectivity that 5G cannot readily support but which ultra-responsive and extremely low-latency 6G can. But while the technology will be ready, it’s also critically important for governments to be on board as well and that requires the right regulations which is why LG’s involvement in Next G Alliance is so important.”

# # #

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By News Reporter
      LG Marks Next Major Phase of Its CTV Advertising Business

SEOUL, Sep. 15, 2022 – LG Electronics (LG) today announced a rollout of LG Ads Solutions proprietary automatic content recognition (ACR) technology across LG TVs globally, beginning this September. The rollout will replace legacy technology and put the new ACR solution on millions of smart TVs across 27 countries in Europe, Africa, Asia-Pacific, Latin America and Australia.
      The new ACR provided by LG Ads Solutions is already active on LG smart TVs in the U.S. and with the rollout, LG CTV data will be available exclusively through LG Ads Solutions.
      “Since the LG Ads Solutions launch last May, the team has created tremendous momentum for the business globally,” said Chris Jo, Senior Vice President and Head of Platform Business at LG Electronics Home Entertainment Company. “This rollout of the new ACR is another great milestone that demonstrates its commitment to excellence, and dedication to bringing the best possible advertising solutions to brands and agencies around the world.”
      CEO Raghu Kodige said, “This rollout marks the next major phase of our global CTV advertising business with LG Ads Solutions. It is a highly significant moment for brands across four continents, who increasingly need to reach cord-cutters and light TV viewers who have migrated to OTT services, and to understand incremental reach over traditional linear TV services. Now with LG Ads Solutions, brands globally can plan, activate and measure CTV advertising using the industry’s best ACR data set to help guarantee campaign success.”
      The ACR data, which is in compliance with all global and regional consumer data privacy regulations, helps brands understand, in an anonymized fashion, how frequent certain TV ads were aired in any given household. For brands, this means it can increase frequency levels for underexposed households, cap frequency for overexposed households, win over households that are exposed to competitors’ ads, and more. Of major importance, it informs brands and agencies which households they are missing completely due to cord-cutting.
      The data can also be used to measure the effectiveness of ads, such as if an ad drove viewers to a particular TV show or movie, or if an ad led to the download or registration of an OTT app or service.
      LG Ads Solutions already powers CTV campaigns in over 40 countries globally. Now, brands in any country covered by the ACR rollout can immediately begin working with LG Ads Solutions to understand TV audience viewership in their country at a granular level, in order to pinpoint audience segments and optimize reach, frequency and ad effectiveness across linear and streaming television.
      # # #

• By News Reporter
      LG SIGNATURE ambassador Olivia Palermo, a household name in the fashion and beauty world as well as the ultimate authority when it comes to sophisticated living, shares her philosophy on what makes true luxury living.
      Palermo thinks luxury living must never come at the expense of functionality and avoids lifestyle products that, although pleasing to the eye, lack the comfort and convenience people deserve in 2022. Hence her long-established relationship with LG SIGNATURE – a brand synonymous with refined aesthetics and outstanding performance – was always written in the stars.
      Read on to discover how Olivia Palermo is elevating her lifestyle through LG SIGNATURE’s latest devices and appliances with both luxury and comfort in mind, and receive some insightful, inspirational words about her upcoming beauty projects, thoughts on sustainable tech and go-to fashion tips for a fabulous entrance.

How have you been lately?
      Like most people, I have been through highs and lows. I was so happy to be in Paris for the Haute Couture shows recently, it finally feels as if things are really getting back to ‘normal.’ I have also managed to have a couple of short breaks in Europe with my husband, and it really feels so good to be able to travel again. But on the flipside, I miss my dog, Mr. Butler every day. He was my companion and best friend for 16 years and I still struggle to believe he is no longer with us.
      What are you most interested in right now?
      I am really focusing on the day-to-day business of Olivia Palermo Beauty and of course my continuing work with LG SIGNATURE. I have always said so much of my creative inspiration has come from being in different cultures and countries and seeing how stylish people dress. So finally being back out there is amazing, it’s a creative overload!
      You’ve been an LG SIGNATURE ambassador for a while now. What values can you say you share with the premium brand?
      The LG SIGNATURE philosophy of Style and Sustainability really resonates with me and was definitely one of the reasons that made it so interesting for us to be able to work together. The Fashion Industry has had to work really hard to improve its environmental footprint and there is still much work for all of us to do but I do think that really taking care of the clothes that we value so that they last and can be enjoyed by a new owner when we have maybe tired of them is something we can all do. The LG SIGNATURE Washer and Dryer makes these efforts super easy. Its diagnostics can weigh the fabric to use the most efficient amount of detergent and water and the delicate program means pretty much everything can be cleaned at home. Most of us know we need to do better when it comes to sustainability, so it really helps when products such as the LG SIGNATURE range make that effortless for us and also look super stylish.

What do you think of the LG SIGNATURE lineup based on your experience?
      All of the LG SIGNATURE products that I have experienced are the best in their category. They are intuitive, have cutting-edge technology, and give you all the options you could possibly require without being over-complicated to use. And they look amazing, so you are happy to have them on display.
      What bears the greatest significance when decorating a home?
      Apart from my art pieces which only have to be beautiful, I expect everything to do its job properly. There is no point in having a couch that looks incredible but is not comfortable to sit on. This is where LG SIGNATURE has been so smart, their products perform amazingly, but they also look great.

Do you like keeping up with the latest technologies? If so, is there a technology you’re particularly interested in these days?
      In recent times, I have felt that I just can’t keep up with technology, some things seem to change so fast. When I think about what changes there have been over the last 10 years, it blows my mind and of course, my phone can do so many things that I don’t even know about! But, what is truly amazing is how technology is going in such a sustainable direction, brands are developing products that help all of us make better choices. Refrigerators you don’t have to open to see what is inside, washers that use less water and protect your garments to last longer.
      Congratulations on the 1-year anniversary of ‘Olivia Palermo Beauty.’ What does this milestone mean to you?
      Anyone who has their own business will tell you how thrilled they are to get through the first year. It is a milestone of course, but we are still very much at the beginning of this adventure, and there is so much to do. We are on track with our plan and I am so excited for the second year.
      Your Instagram pictures from John Legend’s LG SIGNATURE X LVE wine party and fashion shows were a hit with fans. Do you have any styling tips for attending glamorous events?
      It’s no secret that I am very last minute with deciding what to wear to events, it really depends on my mood. But some key tips are; Think about what the event is – Will you be mostly sitting or standing, eating or not. You want to look your very best, but you have to be comfortable. You cannot look amazing if you don’t feel good. A restricted corset-type top is not great if you are sitting all evening, and crazy high heels are a no-no if you will be standing and dancing all night. Accessories can really make a difference which may be a statement piece of jewelry or a perfect little clutch. And finally, a little Runway Red or Poppy on your lips will complete any look for that big night out!
      Any tips for keeping fine garments in pristine condition, like a party dress or a cashmere sweater?
      So many garments say ‘Dry clean only.’ When with the right machine, such as the LG SIGNATURE washer and dryer, they can be taken care of at home. The gentle care program means that even my super delicate items made from silk, cashmere and velvet can be cleaned at home which uses way less harmful products and is much better for the environment.

How do you like to relax?
      When we are both at home, we love to have friends come over for an easy, relaxed evening. It’s well known my husband usually cooks but I put together a great selection of cheeses and crudites. I love eating fresh and raw, and the LG SIGNATURE Refrigerator means we can always be prepared. I also really enjoy choosing the best wine choice to go with what we are eating.
      You recently released the ‘Ready for Summer’ video on your Instagram in collaboration with LG SIGNATURE. What is your daily routine to stay healthy and make the most of summer?
      I try to do some exercise each day whether it’s a full workout, a few stretches or a nice walk – it clears my head. It’s also much easier to eat healthily in the summer because salads and fruits are in season and I love al fresco dining.
      What’s next on your bucket list?
      I would love to visit the Maldives. I have heard so much about this region and would love to experience the natural beauty myself. The other place on my list is Seoul! I have traveled extensively in Asia but have never been to Korea. And if I am honest, my obsession with Korean beauty products was definitely one of the reasons I was inspired to start my own beauty business, so hopefully, I will get to see everyone in Korea soon.
      # # #

• By News Reporter
      Company to Present Vision of Reimagined Technology, Lifestyles and
      Experiences as the Tradeshow Makes Offline Return

SEOUL, Aug. 15, 2022 — LG Electronics (LG) invites consumers from around the globe to experience its latest innovations up-close and in-person at IFA 2022 in Berlin, Germany (September 2-6). Under the theme of Life, Reimagined – with the booth displaying LG’s vision of reimagined technology, rediscovered lifestyles and redefined experiences – the company will introduce an array of products that break new grounds in technology advancement as well as unique, new solutions and services designed to deliver unparalleled customer experiences.
      LG is thrilled to be returning to Berlin for IFA for the first time since 2019. Europe’s premier consumer electronics tradeshow is back on the ground in the German capital after a two-year hiatus and ready to again wow visitors from all over the world.
      During IFA 2022, visitors can discover LG’s latest innovations, and learn how the company is reimagining the customer experience, at its booth in Hall 18 at Messe Berlin. Those who cannot attend IFA in person can still explore the LG booth by checking out the LG Booth video, which will be uploaded on the LG Global YouTube channel (
      link hidden, please login to view). # # #

• By News Reporter
      To Give Corporate Customers the Level of Protection they Demand, Company is
      Applying Reliable Anti-Eavesdropping System to Latest Digital Signage Solutions

SEOUL, Aug. 11, 2022 — LG Electronics (LG) is introducing an innovative eavesdropping detection solution for its commercial signage products. Going forward, the cutting-edge security system will be applied to the company’s flagship models, including LG LED All-in-One, LG LED Bloc and LG MAGNIT, as well as select video walls and UHD signage products supporting webOS 4.1.
      As demand for commercial signage products expands across multiple industries, so does the need for related technologies that serve the needs of companies operating in different sectors. Although counter-surveillance is important in every sector, some entities such as corporates, government agencies, national institutions and the military prioritize confidentiality and the protection of personal information. LG, in partnership with high-tech security technology provider
      link hidden, please login to view, has addressed this growing need by installing a dedicated app that runs with GITSN’s eavesdropping detection terminal in LG’s smart signage platform, webOS. The new eavesdropping detection function displays a warning icon on screen in real time as soon as it detects any abnormal signal. The system utilizes simple icons to keep attendees updated on just how secure they are at all times. Moreover, LG’s webOS-based detection function, which can cover multiple conference/control rooms at once, analyzes every inch of a potential risk fast and accurately to alert those in charge immediately.
      “LG’s newest solution detects various potential, unexpected risks and reports it immediately, while also bringing the company’s security management up to date,” said Paik Ki-mun, senior vice president and head of the Information Display business unit of LG Electronics Business Solutions Company. “LG will continue to introduce the high-definition display solutions that not only express the most vivid colors and clear images to date, but also let consumers feel safe while they use them.”
      The latest signage solution will be available in the third quarter of 2022, starting with key markets in Middle East and Asia, with other markets to follow.
      # # #

• By News Reporter
      In this episode of Mobility Inside, we’re going to put automobile software under the microscope, breaking down the systems that power our cars so that you don’t need an engineering degree to understand.

When it comes to learning about automobile software, AUTomotive Open System ARchitecture(AUTOSAR) that standardizes the structure of software installed in vehicles, is the place to start. It refers to the
      link hidden, please login to view in which vehicle manufacturers, suppliers, service providers and IT companies come together to establish the standards for software installed in most cars. But why is standardizing software for mobility so crucial?
      1. Convenience in Development

With the number of electronic components in our vehicles rising every year, it comes as no surprise that demand for the software that powers them is too. As the industry expands, software becomes more diverse and complex, making the search for systems compatible with different cars and models extremely challenging. That’s why many countries and companies are calling for the standardization of software structures, which is where AUTOSAR comes into play.
      AUTOSAR was established to set comprehensive regulations its partners must comply with throughout the design process to prevent future errors during the development of vehicular software. Not only does this benefit the entire industry, partners can save time and efforts in numerous ways.
      2. Reusability

AUTOSAR expands software reusability and expandability, too. Every common component installed in electronic automobile control services is standardized across the board. By presenting development methodologies and tools that can be referred to when developing complex software, companies can avoid developing something that already exists. Now, the same software system can cover several vehicles which, in theory, should save developers’ and manufacturers’ time, effort and money.
      What’s more, older software designed before the time of pre-set AUTOSAR standards can be integrated into systems without issue. Instead of changing one to fit the other, the integration of two separate yet distinct systems can even enhance overall efficiency while reducing costs.
      3. Modularization

To better understand the standardization of software during the stages of development, think of it like how LEGO blocks can be put together in various ways to create an infinite number of designs. Most software can be applied to various machines and cars instantaneously without altering software coding, so even if two cars require different types of software, modularized software is easily synchronized and integrated.
      Modularized software enables different systems to integrate without having to edit, add or delete any standards or regulations. For component suppliers, it surely makes more sense to create modularized software global manufacturers that can integrate with every system and device possible, saving them the time, costs and resources required to make a unique system for each vehicle or brand.

Thanks to a standardized interface, we no longer need every car module to be developed by the same company. As long as they comply with the standards for inter-module interfaces set by AUTOSAR, they’re compatible with other devices and systems too.
      Each year, new software is being developed for various purposes, including automobile safety. Thanks to modularization, most software should have the capability to interoperate with other devices and systems according to AUTOSAR’s software standards.

The AUTOSAR platform is backed by most major carmakers we may know of, including BMW, Ford, Bosch, General Motors, Toyota, Continental, Daimler AG, Peugeot, Citroen and Volkswagen, who are creating their own platforms based on AUTOSAR and enhancing interoperability by encouraging component manufacturers and IT companies to adopt the same standards.

AUTOSAR enhances the reusability of software modules between car manufacturers and component suppliers by unifying the languages and formats used by developers, simplifying the management of complex automobile electronics systems for both manufacturers and suppliers.

Since AUTOSAR published its standardized specifications for the integrated management of various software, LG Electronics has achieved Premium Partner status by constantly implementing various development-related activities based on its guidelines.

With the world digitizing at unprecedented pace, LG is constantly striving to enhance automobile platforms, including AUTOSAR, to make life better for people around the world in every way. Some experts have even boldly predicted that the cars of the future will run on software, not fuel. On the way to the future of mobility, which is expected to be unprecedentedly compatible and efficient thanks to AUTOSAR, stay tuned to see how LG is continuing to shape the future.
      # # #