Quantcast

IN KOREA, “MZ” GENERATION IS A REAL THING

In the Korea press, readers will often run across the term MZ Generation. No, this isn’t a new K-Pop group but a forced pairing of two groups – Millennials and Gen Z – which the rest of the world views as separate and distinct demographic cohorts. Separating consumers into different generations is useful for researchers and social scientists, who measure and document differences in attitudes and behaviors.

Similar to how the term untact marketing was coined in South Korea to refer to connecting with consumers intimately but in a safer, more convenient and era-appropriate manner, MZ Generation is meant to more effectively describe the new consumer target that has quickly become the focus of many brands. Millennials (born 1981-1996) and Gen Z (born 1997-2012) cohorts may be distinctly separate in age but there are many similarities in the two groups as well, and this is the point that Koreans seem to find more compelling. After all, according to the Pew Research Center, “generational cutoff points aren’t an exact science.”

MZ-generation-01.jpg

Photo Credit:

What makes Millennials and Z Gen similar – and what Koreans find more relevant, it seems – are that both demographics are digitally fluent, come from diverse backgrounds, care about social justice and climate change, and tend to be more educated than previous generations. When entering adulthood, both have been impacted by economic downturns and uncertainty, such as the 2008 financial crisis and the current COVID-19 pandemic. On a deeper level, MZ share common characteristics in their relationship with brands – it’s all about transparency and authenticity. Both want brands to mirror their values and dynamically cater to their preferences. Such values and preferences can range from beauty/fashion brands featuring ‘real’ women of various colors/shapes/sizes in their campaigns (i.e. ), to food/beverage brands becoming more health-centric/using natural ingredients (i.e. ), to automotive brands making conscious efforts towards conserving the environment via expansion into renewable energy (i.e. ), and so on. Note that all of the reference brands are some of MZ’s favorites.

MZ-generation-02.png

Photo Credit:

Where does this obsession with transparency and authenticity come from? It’s fair to assume that such values developed in the post-modern, digital world – as MZers have increasingly grown up with social media, often facing challenges of maintaining their online personas and real-world-selves, as well as discovering truths in seas of misinformation/fake news, they are in constant pursuit of discovering authentic and transparent initiatives.

If a brand promotes a CSR initiative in a developing country, MZ want to know about it. A brand pledges to become carbon neutral by 2025? They want to know about that as well. MZers are attracted to activities that reflect their values, especially in the context of the brands’ missions – a quality uniquely distinct from any prior generation.

MZ-generation-03-600x407.png

Photo Credit:

MZ also strive to become the best versions of themselves, expecting brands to play an active role in that journey. Whether by helping them live more sustainably by providing reusable packaging with their foods/beverages, or educating them on how to participate in social justice campaigns by providing resources on how to donate to particular causes, or building platforms via social media channels where MZ can have a voice and make creative contributions. Through such intentional initiatives, supporting MZ in terms of their self-improvement and yet providing them autonomy, brands can become the young generation’s ally and work together to make life truly good.

MZ-generation-04-600x338.jpg

In that vein, LG has launched the MZ Project aimed at handing the content and creative power over to the young generation, thereby empowering them to craft their own stories and personal brands – be it through music or film. As LG “encourages their diverse and limitless possibilities,” MZ is encouraged to continue their creative and positive contributions to the world, especially in times of such incredible uncertainty.

MZ-generation-05-600x339.png

At the cusp of major milestones in life, MZers are still exploring and learning to understand the complicated nuances of the world – and to have a brand helping them engage with their peers/inspirations, as well as get closer to achieving their dreams, makes their lives a bit easier to navigate. And that’s exactly what LG wants to communicate to MZ – that no matter what they do and where they are, LG is there to support their creative endeavors and ensure that ultimately… Life’s Good.

MZ-generation-06-600x338.png

By Jamie Waltzer, LG Brand Strategy Task

# # #

link hidden, please login to view

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Greg Bryant
      I'm trying to add channels using LG's guide / channel manager to favorite groups.  When I try to select a channel to move to the favorites group, the app tunes to that channel and closes; never giving me the opportunity to add it to my new group.  I was going to add all channels and try to remove the ones I don't want in that group but I can't because there's a limit.
      At first, I thought the issue was the 'remote control' input the TV created when I added my Direct TV remote (I had all my HDMI connections through my home receiver with only one HDMI connection to the TV) so all the inputs on the TV were listed as HDMI 2 with different names.  Going through the receiver, I had a 'set top box' HDMI 2 input, PS5 HDMI 2 input, etc.; when I attempted to add the direct tv remote control option to the 'set top box', the software created a new input - Direct TV on HDMI 2 but the set-top-box remained.   Initially when I tried to add a channel to my favorites, the software would change from the direct tv input to the set-top-box input and tune to that channel ( I thought it was confused by the basically the same input twice).  However, I connected the Direct TV input directly to the TV and the channel favorites editor still tunes to the channel selected and closes the app.
      Any ideas?
      I'd really like to pair down the channel list to only what I watch in a few categories.
    • By Alex
      SEOUL, June 26, 2019 — LG Electronics (LG) announced the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding with The Qt Company, the Finnish-based software developer behind the Qt Project, to expand its existing collaboration on webOS. The expanded partnership will focus on embedding LG’s open source webOS platform in future automotive, robotics and smart home devices as well as positioning webOS as a reference operation system of Qt.
      The partnership will guarantee more efficient management of resources required to port Qt and minimize gaps between Qt and webOS, leading to the best user experience for AI and IoT customers. With Q’s expertise in user experience (UX) and LG’s knowledge of products, the collaboration will create a powerful development environment for developers, engineers and designers to create innovative and immersive apps and devices.
      “Our vision to create highly innovative, AI-powered and content-ready smart embedded devices using the webOS platform is more attainable with Qt as a partner,” said Dr. I.P. Park, president and CTO of LG Electronics. “Designing and developing these extremely complex systems requires more advanced software development capabilities than ever before and close collaboration between hardware and software experts is the foundation of this collaboration with Qt.”
      Qt is a software tool for developing Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs) to deliver intuitive and modern UI/UX design and powerful touch functions in consumer and automotive devices. Since 2014, LG has relied on the application development framework of Qt to provide an intuitive and easy user experience for smart TVs and information displays running webOS. Qt will also play a key role in the development of webOS Auto, planned for deployment in future automotive infotainment systems.
      “LG has been a consumer electronics leader for generations, which is one of the many reasons they’ve become such a trusted partner of Qt,” said Juha Varelius, CEO of Qt. “With its initiative to expand the reach of webOS into rapidly-growing markets, LG is underscoring the massive potential of Qt-enabled connected experiences. By collaborating with LG on this initiative, we’re able to make it easy as possible for our customers to build devices that bring a new definition to the word ‘smart’.”

• By Guy Paskar
      Hello,

I have followed the guide on 
      link hidden, please login to view and it worked well on the first time. after a while I could not connect to the TV anymore. I have deleted the TV from the device list and tried again and got "ares-novacom ERR! ares-novacom: Error: Failed to get ssh private key" I reset the TV to original settings and tried again and still getting the same message. 
      TV is connected via wifi keyserver is on dev mode is on.
      I tried via cli, IDE and beanviser and nothing is working.
      Please help me out here.
    • By Alex
      First To Mass Produce Large Screen OLED TVs, LG Poised to Lead Market in Advanced Premium TV Technologies
      BERLIN, Aug. 29, 2018 — Already a leader in advancing TV innovation with its OLED TVs, LG Electronics (LG) is introducing the world’s first 8K (7680 x 4320) OLED TV. Previewed at IFA 2018, the 88-inch class 8K LG OLED TV features over 33 million self-emitting pixels to produce the unmatched contrast ratio and true blacks that define OLED TV’s iconic picture quality.
      With OLED TV shipments in the market expected to double in 2018 and reach over nine million units by 2022, LG will continue to increase the OLED share in its premium TV portfolio and drive large scale consumer adoption of OLED TVs. While the 8K TV market is still in its infancy, it is expected to grow to more than 5 million units by 2022, and LG is committed to leading the ultra-premium market with its 8K OLED TV technology.
      Despite advancements in LCD field, OLED has been often referred to as the “nextgeneration display technology” because it emits its own light, eliminating the need for any kind of backlighting. This allows for state-of-art TVs which redefine both the picture quality and the product design. Not only was LG able to pioneer such technologies, but it was also able to successfully market them.
      “LG’s first 8K OLED TV is the pinnacle of technological achievement and the next evolutionary step in display technology,” said Brian Kwon, president of LG Home Entertainment Company. “4K OLED played a major role in reshaping TV industry and LG is confident that 8K OLED will do the same.”

LG introduced the 88" 8k OLED TV at CES 2018

• By Alex
      LAS VEGAS, June 6, 2018 – Revolutionary Direct View LED and OLED technologies, ultra narrow bezel video wall displays and new-to-the-market digital signage  solutions, LG Electronics USA Business Solutions are headlining the InfoComm 2018 trade show that opens
      here today.
      “Our major presence at InfoComm this year shows how LG prides itself on providing forward thinking, innovative solutions that are both highly functional and key business drivers,” said Garry Wicka, Head of Marketing, LG Electronics USA Business Solutions. “As digital signage applications and technologies continue to advance, LG is committed to being at the forefront of innovation, whether it’s delivering new-to-the-industry solutions, innovative new product concepts, or expanding capabilities in our next-generation displays.”
      Visitors to LG’s booth at InfoComm 2018 in Las Vegas (June 6-8, Las Vegas Convention Center, Central Hall, Booth #2546) will experience first-hand LG’s full lineup of digital displays and their countless installation applications. For more information on LG’s commercial display portfolio, please visit www.lgsolutions.com.
      Direct View LED Displays
      Exhibiting its industry leadership in, and commitment to, the large-screen video market, LG offers a host of indoor and outdoor Direct View LED display solutions, including 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0mm pixel pitch indoor displays. LG’s Direct View LED displays produce outstanding color contrast, saturation and brightness levels and are now available for both custom order – and now, new pre-arranged bundle packages – for a variety of installation applications, including retail spaces, sports stadiums, transportation hubs and hospitality applications.

Commercial LG OLED Solutions
      At InfoComm 2018, LG will introduce slimmer-bezel versions of the 65-inch Ultra HD “Wallpaper,” 55-inch Full HD “In-Glass Wallpaper,” and 65-inch Ultra HD video wall LG OLED displays with a new super-slim bezel overlap seam (see separate release). LG will also showcase the highly-acclaimed LG OLED Canyon, which first made a splash by wowing attendees at CES® 2018 with its winding LG Open Frame OLED panels in convex and concave configurations. LG’s proprietary OLED technology delivers perfect blacks, infinite contrast and incredible color from wide viewing angles, and are sure to elevate retail environments and art galleries with their cutting-edge picture quality.
      Video Wall Displays
      New in 2018 are 55-inch ultra-narrow 0.6 mm even bezel displays (model 55SVH7E) that can be combined to create one powerful and impactful video wall ideal for displaying content that resembles one continuous image as opposed to a collection of segmented panels. The new video wall expands LG’s portfolio of narrow bezel video wall displays, which includes VH7B, VM5B and VM5C series, all touting 0.9mm bezels. LG’s proprietary In-Plane Switching (IPS) technology ensures uniform, accurate color from virtually any viewing angle, empowering these video walls to produce unparalleled picture quality sure to capture any viewers’ attention.
      One-of-a-Kind Digital Signage Solutions
      Within its broad portfolio of transformative digital signage solutions, LG offers displays with inventive form factors and never-before-seen aspect ratios, including the LG Transparent Color LED film display and the LG Ultra Stretch displays. Building off LG’s highly-acclaimed Transparent LED Film display introduced at InfoComm 2017, LG now offers the same innovative display in color, delivering an entirely new category of displays to the market (see separate release). LG’s unique Ultra Stretch displays also redefine the creativity and flexibility possible for digital signage with their irregular aspect ratios and ability to act as stand-alone displays, be layered together, or be installed in a square pillar, making them a great fit for retail, wayfinding, transportation, museum and QSR applications.
      Quick Service Restaurant Solutions
      LG offers an array of technology solutions to meet the changing needs of the QSR sector, including ultra-narrow video walls, 4K UHD displays, Ultra Stretch displays, Transparent LED Film, and ultra-premium large format indoor and outdoor displays. LG’s unique outdoor kiosk displays come equipped with temperature tolerance technology to alleviate overheating and prevent compromised picture quality and their environmentally sealed structure for waterproofing protects the display from dust and fumes. All available indoor and outdoor displays in LG’s QSR digital signage portfolio utilize LG SuperSign, LG’s easy-to-use content management and editing software that offers seamless control from remote locations.
      In-Room Hospitality Solutions
      LG’s commercial display portfolio also includes a wide variety of guest-centric technologies for hospitality environments. Leading the 4K Ultra HD revolution for hotels is not only the first-ever OLED TV designed specifically for hotels (model EW960H), but also the unbelievably thin LG OLED Wallpaper Hotel TV (model 65EV960H), which is less than two-tenths of an inch thick. LG’s extraordinary OLED hotel TVs have already begun elevating the in-room experience for guests at hotels across the country with their perfect blacks, intense colors and infinite contrast. LG also offers seven series of LG 4K Ultra HD hotel TVs enhanced with LG’s Pro:Centric® interactive TV platform and the Pro:Idiom® digital rights management system, as well as a portfolio of products specifically designed for the hospitality market, including the LG Styler™
      steam clothing care system and the LG PuriCare™ air purifiers with powerful cleaning and intuitive air quality sensors.
      Press release: 
      link hidden, please login to view