Quantcast

[pivotCE]Open Source webOS now brought to you by LG

Evolution_LG_webOS.0.jpg?resize=800%2C53

Yo! We heard you like open sourced webOS so the open source of webOS!

Ok, so that’s not entirely accurate since from HP after …well…bits and pieces of it back in 2012. So no, you’re not stuck in a Doctor Strange time loop.

webOS has been open sourced before but not by LG.  This news comes as a shock to the current legacy webOS community still rocking Pre 3s and waiting for LuneOS to reach “driver” status.  The community hasn’t poured through the code as of yet but it immediately begs certain questions:

1. Will the work on LuneOS be helped or hindered by additional LG open source code which LG had already been committing too for some time (though they have missed some of their promised bits for a while)?
  2. What hardware limitations are there for use of the software? Still looking for that …
  3. How flexible (read: portable) is it?
  4. How complete is it?  HP’s open source webOS was decidedly incomplete…

We’ll keep you updated on the developments on this as they become available.  For now, the conversation has started on the forums so feel free to .

#webOSforever

The post first appeared on .

Related posts:

link hidden, please login to view

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Similar Topics

• By Blank_Disk
      i have a uj630v and it randomly pops up with restarting app to free up memory, any when there will be a fix for this other than having to reset the tv as its a real pain
    • By Bella Lee
      With the Amazon Music app, LG smart TV owners who also happen to be Prime members can finally access two million songs on their TVs. But there is a more convenient approach for you to play Amazon Music on LG smart TV. With an or Mac, you are able to link hidden, please login to view and them play them directly on your smart TV without the Amazon Music app. And you don't worry that your smart TV is not compatible with LG smart TV.
    • By Bella Lee
      In fact, Spotify doesn't offer its service to LG webOS Smartwatch now. If you want to listen to Spotify songs on LG webOS Smartwatch, you'd need a . With Tunelf Spotibeat Music Converter, you can
      link hidden, please login to view and then transfer them to LG webOS Smartwatch for playing without limits.
    • By hjetschko
      Hi, I have a feature request for the sound out setting. I often connect my Bluetooth headphones to the TV. We don't use the internal speaker of the TV, we use the optical sound out setting whenever I don't use Bluetooth. It would make our lives a lot easier if the TV can remember the last sound out setting before connecting to Bluetooth and default back to this setting when the Bluetooth device gets disconnected. At the moment, each time I disconnect the headphones I have to go back into settings and change the sound out setting from internal speaker to optical again. 
      Thanks and regards
      Hubert
    • By Bhavan Kamble
      Gaana App on LG WebOS