Quantcast

Question

Hi there,

So VLC (via DLNA) does not see LG TV webOS as renderer option.

Even Windows 7 (via Explorer / Windows Media Player) sees it.

What's special about LG TV webOS DLNA implementation that VLC does not see it?

Thanks,

PS: Some other related posts on this.

VLC Streaming to LG Smart TV

VLC on LG C8.

Streaming from Windows VLC to LG webOS TV?

How do I stream to my LG TV using the VLC Media Player on my HP Envy Desktop that is Running Windows 8

link hidden, please login to view

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

What you want is not possible. VLC only implements the DLNA media renderer service,  the TV unfortunately also does the same. VLC does work with googlecast but not with miracast and for most likely le

10 answers to this question

@Khamikaze  Please post your TV model, as some older LG TV's do not handle DLNA stuff, and external multi-media that well.

If you update your PC/Laptop to Windows 10, and ensure it has the latest feature Update (20H2), I hear reports that it is very good with "projecting" its screen to many TV models, so may work well using that as your Multimedia playback source. It is best to ensure that it is on the same WiFi band (2.4GHz or 5GHz) as the TV.  Just ensure that "media streaming" is turned on in Windows 10 settings (put it onto the search box to get to it quickly) , and that all devices are turned on that you need to stream from/to, and that they all have the ALLOW ticked on for those that you need to use, in the GUI choice window for detected devices.

The TV is LG CX (2020 Class 4K Smart OLED TV w/ AI ThinQ *).

It does have DLNA and fairly recent.

Windows 7 works just fine so does Windows 10 (I tested with a different computer).

I think we can just focus on the TV and VLC **

Let me know what else we are missing here to make LG TV talk correctly with the world.

Thank for checking.

* TV : https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled65cxpua-oled-4k-tv

https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED65CXPUA.AUS

http://kr.eguide.lgappstv.com/manual/w20_mr2/atsc/Apps/w5.0_mr2_u03/u_enga/index.html

** https://shaleenjain.com/blog/vlc-dlna-support-2/

* TV : {HTTPS_WWW} lg.com {SLASH} us/tvs/lg-oled65cxpua-oled-4k-tv

{HTTPS_WWW} lg.com {SLASH} us/support/product/lg-OLED65CXPUA.AUS

{HTTP} kr.eguide.lgappstv.com {SLASH} manual/w20_mr2/atsc/Apps/w5.0_mr2_u03/u_enga/index.html

** I also tested with VLC 4.x Dev Nightly ** and result is the same (renderer keeps scanning but does not see the TV).

{HTTPS} shaleenjain.com {SLASH} blog/vlc-dlna-support-2/

@Khamikaze 

It seems a lot of users are having trouble in the UPNP/DLNA area, for some Android TV's as well.
Many routers have UPNP disabled becuase of security concerns, so you might need to see if :

1) it is re-enabled in your router,
2) it is enabled in your windows settings or services, so that all the devices that need it, are seen.

Using streams MIGHT work, but it is NINE steps, seems very cumbersome!

It seems that the UPNP networked devices settings was moved or removed between VLC 2.x and 3.x, have you reached out to VLC support to ask about your issues?

Otherwise, give this a try, as a VLC alternative (Wondershare Uniconverter):

Edited by td47
clarification

Hi td47,

I have been reviewing all settings, devices and environment in my home net setup.

WiFi and route have UPnP enabled.

Windows and other devices work fine for DLNA, UPnP and Chromecast.

Let's keep the collaboration around:

LG webOS and VLC

Looking forward to hearing and collaborating more with all of you.

Thank you,

What you want is not possible. VLC only implements the DLNA media renderer service,  the TV unfortunately also does the same. VLC does work with googlecast but not with miracast and for most likely legal/licensing reasons webos does not have support for Chromecast.  

The TV searches and it wants to find a server but VLC is not a server.

Also on UPNP and DLNA they are often used together or interchanged because DLNA uses UPNP but only on the local network. Most routers disable UPNP by default for security reasons and Dlna still works on the LAN.

• Like 1

Hi mh61,

Thanks for your reply.

1. Does Windows 7 / Windows Media Player supports Miracast?

2. UPnP is enabled in my LAN / WiFi router, I have checked this multiples times.

3. Let's focus on DLNA here but we are also checking on the Chromecast alternative:

https://www.lgwebos.com/topic/6493-chromecast-support-full-in-lg-tv-webos

{HTTPS} lgwebos {DOT} com {SLASH} topic/6493-chromecast-support-full-in-lg-tv-webos

Other or more thoughts anyone?

Thank you,

@decemvre I KNOW others want, and seem fixated on VLC, but as @mh61 has pointed out, this is probably nit possible. SO: has anyone tried using the DIVX player/software? I KNOW is has a media server, I played some stuff to my old 2014 LG TV ages ago, and it DID work (you have to enable the Media Server, it is not on by default). 

"LG HD TVs

For most recent LG TV models, simply click the “Input” button on your remote control, or from the Home screen click on the “Input” icon. On the Input screen, select DLNA/Network, and then select your DivX Media Server from the list of servers. For other methods, see LG’s 

setup.
Once you've found DivX Media Server on your DLNA device, just open the server to browse your folders and select a video to play!"

I know, I'm already doing that too and it works, but not all of my video files play correctly.
If LG wants it it's possible probably with just a software update. Besides being compatible with the most popular video player in the world is also in LG's interest.

Because if this is possible it's  yet another reason not to buy a Chromecast and people will continue to use Apps from within WebOS, and not Google TV, which obviously is a competitor to WebOS. So really it's just a matter of letting higher-ups within LG know that this is a feature people are still buying Chromecasts for.