Quantcast

• Own an LG TV or webOS device? Join our Forum!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

queequeg65

strange phones keep trying to connect to my tv

Question

The other morning I had 3 pop ups from different phones trying to connect to  my tv.  After reading online I came to the conclusion it was they were trying to connect through WIFI Direct. There was no solution on the screen share app.  I had turned off connected apps and that didn't help.  I checked my router and there were no strange devices.  I read that you do not need to be on the same network to connect through WIFI Direct. I contacted LG 3 times.  First , I got on chat.  They told me to reset to initial settings and that would fix things.  It didn't and erased all my expensive professional calibrations to boot.  Then I called,  they originally told me these people have to be on my home network, but then,  when I told them what I learned about WIFI Direct, discussed it and said I was right and there was noting I can do.  Lastly, I emailed them and was told to turn off Listening Mode.  Listening Mode is no longer available in my Screen Share App.

So, does anyone know a way to stop strange phones from trying to connect through WIFI Direct?    While I am grateful they gave us a chance to say no to these pop ups there is no end to annoyance with having to deal with them.

7 answers to this question

@queequeg65  On my LG screen under the NETWORK part of the main TV settings (NOT the Screen Share app), you should see the WiFi Direct option, and in there when selected, (on the same line as the WiFi Direct name, just to the right of it),  the OFF or ON should be a toggle, so in theory, with the Magic Remote, you should just be able to "click" on it to turn that to the OFF state. This function should be seperate from the normal/standard WiFi connection settings, so do NOT mess with that one.

I just looked again.  There is no such on/off toggle under WIFI Direct. The only thing that comes close is LG Connect Apps, which I turned off first. Then proceeded to get more pop ups from people’s phones. I guess they really don’t want us to have access to that for some reason. 

@queequeg65  thanks for feedback. That seems to be the latest one, from October 2019. Keep checking, over the next few months, in case they bring out a newer firmware. You COULD in the meantime try playing the Security and Privacy card, and officially complain to LG Support. Have a read of this (there are probaly more/later technical articles on this):

link hidden, please login to view

Edited by td47
typo
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Mihnea Prundeanu
      Hey guys.
      TL;DR How do I save screen captures to an external HDD?

I am new here. I recently bought an LG 43UJ6307, webOS 3.5. More than happy with it, except for the fact that there is literally nowhere to find accurate information. The TV has the screen capture feature and automatically saves the capture in the internal storage.
      I e-mailed LG to ask how to copy it from the internal storage to the external storage and they said it is not possible. Although, they said I can choose where I save the screen captures (on an external support or internal storage). My question is: How do I do this? How do I choose to save the screen captures to my external HDD of flash drive? Thanks very much.
    • By Ryzex
      Where are all of the free music apps?  LG App isnt much...please hlep
    • By Debojit Kundu
      Hi I recently updated the software to 5.30 version, and after that I noticed a weird problem with video streaming, in general issue with internet bandwidth. Usually my b/w is ~35 mbps so that is sufficient for 4k streaming on youtube or netflix. The issue is after running for 10-15 mins if I pause the video or go backward the network speed is thrashing badly. For example when I check internet connection on netflix it shows ~30-35 mbps, but whne that problem occurs and I check the speed again I see the speed is dropped to <1mbps. Same with youtube, it can't load 4k videos anymore as the speed is ~1mbps. I can realize the problem as the thumbnails load very slow with scrolling. This problem does not get away unless I restart the TV or disconnect from wifi AP and connect back. The router always works fine I mean when I observe the problem on tv I can run videos on mobile seamlessly and see a speed of ~40 mbps on the same router. The router is kept next to the TV so I don't think it is some issue with wifi distance etc. I don't know what to do. I tried resetting but it removed all my app but it was actually not a so called "factory reset". So software version remained same. To rule out hardware problem I want to revert to previous version of the software but apparently I can't downgrade the software. Is there any other approach to load some previous version firmware?
    • By Rukmaj Chandavar
      Hi All,

I recently bought a LG Smart TV with WebOS (42LB6500) and would like to connect to my external hard disk connected over network. Here is how my home network and devices are setup.

I have a high speed broadband that comes to my WiFi router (D-Link DSL 2750U) with USB support for External HDD. I have connected my Seagate Ex.HDD to this router and I am able to access the drive over WiFi on my smartphone and computer using the network path \\192.168.1.1\... Once connected I am able to use it similar to any mount location, i.e., read/write files, play media, etc., I want to do similarly with my TV, I would like to use this connected Ex. HDD as any other location and would like to achieve following two things at the least without any additional hardware Play media files on this HDD (very very important) Use the HDD as recording device for timeshift/live pause feature (important)  
      Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
      Rukmaj
    • By jhsquires
      I have been using a CAT5 cable for my network connection to my TV. Using a Cable Box wireless box. But the signal is getting slower. I want to try WiFi but I can't seem to be able to turn on the WiFi setting in the setup mode. Could it be because the CAT5 cable is plugged in to the TV. I tried unplugging the cable from the box  and it still won't come up. I can reach the cable plugged into the TV - it is mounted on the wall and can't be reached without taking off the wall... Model - 4K UHD HDR Smart LED TV - 60" Insert other media