Quantcast

strange phones keep trying to connect to my tv

queequeg65

Question

The other morning I had 3 pop ups from different phones trying to connect to  my tv.  After reading online I came to the conclusion it was they were trying to connect through WIFI Direct. There was no solution on the screen share app.  I had turned off connected apps and that didn't help.  I checked my router and there were no strange devices.  I read that you do not need to be on the same network to connect through WIFI Direct. I contacted LG 3 times.  First , I got on chat.  They told me to reset to initial settings and that would fix things.  It didn't and erased all my expensive professional calibrations to boot.  Then I called,  they originally told me these people have to be on my home network, but then,  when I told them what I learned about WIFI Direct, discussed it and said I was right and there was noting I can do.  Lastly, I emailed them and was told to turn off Listening Mode.  Listening Mode is no longer available in my Screen Share App.

So, does anyone know a way to stop strange phones from trying to connect through WIFI Direct?    While I am grateful they gave us a chance to say no to these pop ups there is no end to annoyance with having to deal with them.

7 answers to this question

@queequeg65  On my LG screen under the NETWORK part of the main TV settings (NOT the Screen Share app), you should see the WiFi Direct option, and in there when selected, (on the same line as the WiFi Direct name, just to the right of it),  the OFF or ON should be a toggle, so in theory, with the Magic Remote, you should just be able to "click" on it to turn that to the OFF state. This function should be seperate from the normal/standard WiFi connection settings, so do NOT mess with that one.

I just looked again.  There is no such on/off toggle under WIFI Direct. The only thing that comes close is LG Connect Apps, which I turned off first. Then proceeded to get more pop ups from people’s phones. I guess they really don’t want us to have access to that for some reason. 

@queequeg65  thanks for feedback. That seems to be the latest one, from October 2019. Keep checking, over the next few months, in case they bring out a newer firmware. You COULD in the meantime try playing the Security and Privacy card, and officially complain to LG Support. Have a read of this (there are probaly more/later technical articles on this):

link hidden, please login to view

Edited by td47
typo
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.