Quantcast

Video Player Needed

CpRivers

Question

I am looking for an app that will allow me to play videos from a shared folder on another computer, something like VLC. Is there an app for the LG to do this? I haven't been able to find anything. I set up the Media Center on the other computer but it doesn't work right and can't see all the available videos. I just want to be able to browse a shared folder.

Chuck

17 answers to this question

Hi chuck

I use Plex to stream my movies etc to my TV. That might be a good way for you to go, you just need to install the plex server on your computer and sign up. Most LG TV's also support DLNA nowadays anyway so you could always use that. It could also be that not all the files you're trying to watch are a supported format etc?

Ash

• Like 1

Hi @CpRivers

As @AshClink has suggested Plex is a good solution for media streaming, I would also recommend the app for webOS as it does a better job (IMO) than DLNA.  Best option is to run Plex Server from a Linux server base, if you are not heavily in to IT there are some simple solutions that can be run from a Raspberry Pi.

I have tried Plex before and it didn't work well. I don't remember why. I think it had something to do with the way the file names were listed. I was trying to check out WebOS but I can't find it or figure out how to install it. The Media Center in Windows has known problems that I ran into, such as not creating a complete list of videos.

I looked up DLNA and found a list of software that uses it. In the list was PlayOn, which I already have on my computer! I turned on the Media Library and it works great, allowing me to browse the folders where my media is stored. Thanks for getting me moving on this!

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 8:25 PM, CpRivers said:

I am looking for an app that will allow me to play videos from a shared folder on another computer, something like VLC. Is there an app for the LG to do this? I haven't been able to find anything. I set up the Media Center on the other computer but it doesn't work right and can't see all the available videos. I just want to be able to browse a shared folder.

Chuck

I have the same problem

@Csaba Bakó Did you follow what @CpRivers found to work? That is, media centre and PlayOn?

If you computer is a Windows 10 system, I recommend you ensure to get it updated to the latest Feature Update called 20H2, as many user have found this works very well "projecting" the screen to many TV models, including many of the newer, and certain older LG models. That way you can use any of the Video Players, such as VLC, WMP (Windows media Player), YouTube, Cyberlink etc, and "mirror" the PC screen.

You can also try using the in-built File Explorer, go to your Video Library,  right-click on a video file, and try the "cast-to" option. If your TV is on the same network as the PC and recognised, you should be able to play it over the network. NOTE: you will need too ensure that "Media Streaming" is turned on in the Windows 10 settings app or Control Panel.  Theasiest way to find that, is to click on the notifications bubble icon at the bottom right, choose "all settings", then in the search box type in the word media, then you will be able to select the Media Streaming settings shown in the select list.  Turn that function ON, ensure ALL your media devices (DLNA servers,  and the TV) on the network are turned on, and ensure you have ticked the "allow" for them to be used.

The DIVX video player ALSO has its own media server that i have played with for streaming to a TV, but it is a bit clunky, AND the DIVX Server stays active in the background when finished playing your videos, and will stop the PC from staying in SLEEP mode, unless you right-click on it and exit it after use.

On 12/12/2020 at 3:20 AM, Csaba Bakó said:

I have the same problem

I do as well.  I don't want to run W10 servers or Linux or do this anywhere but play on the LG TV from the LG TV.  I have  12 TB of NAS storage in folders by media type and by month, year, decade, and century.  (about 125,000 pictures scanned and digital) and about 1/2 the content is video movies and some instructional stuff.  I want to access the NAS folders (PLEX or the version I have does not seem to do this intuitively or its too cryptic for me to figure out)  

As another mentioned VLC would seem to work but we need a WebOS version and I don't see or can find one.  One shodl be able to just Open a file on the NAS box and load it and play.....just like VLC does on W10 and even Android.  etc. 

Three items.  1) Content on NAS file system, 2) LG TV on the network with WebOS, 3) the missing link or software video player?

5 hours ago, Thomas Lynch said:

I do as well.  I don't want to run W10 servers or Linux or do this anywhere but play on the LG TV from the LG TV.  I have  12 TB of NAS storage in folders by media type and by month, year, decade, and century.  (about 125,000 pictures scanned and digital) and about 1/2 the content is video movies and some instructional stuff.  I want to access the NAS folders (PLEX or the version I have does not seem to do this intuitively or its too cryptic for me to figure out)  

As another mentioned VLC would seem to work but we need a WebOS version and I don't see or can find one.  One shodl be able to just Open a file on the NAS box and load it and play.....just like VLC does on W10 and even Android.  etc. 

Three items.  1) Content on NAS file system, 2) LG TV on the network with WebOS, 3) the missing link or software video player?

more searching and I am diving into this quagmire of information and stuff.....  https://www.webosnation.com/best-webos-movie-and-video-apps

link hidden, please login to view

This seems to be a windows or server based product also.   I guess a File Manager on WebOS on the LG tv would be a first start to find the video and then launch it?   I used the Web Browser to get to my https://primarysixterabyte/  NAS storage server on my network and that seemed to work.  

Then I launched the videos and really not sure WHO ended up displaying/playing them.....but it worked.  Pretty clunky going up and down folders and hierarchy with the clicking of "keyboard" and finger pointing the cursor......but its working?

Still looking for a LG APP Player like VLC for WebOS or maybe MediaMonkey for WebOS......... 

It is ridiculous that in 2022 the webOs can't play mp4 videos cause it's missing decoding libraries... I can't understand how you guys are thinking to give a smart service without a media player... I'd never ever suggest an LG TV to anyone.... I'm still asking myself why I didn't buy an android TV.