Quantcast

Video Player Needed

Question

I am looking for an app that will allow me to play videos from a shared folder on another computer, something like VLC. Is there an app for the LG to do this? I haven't been able to find anything. I set up the Media Center on the other computer but it doesn't work right and can't see all the available videos. I just want to be able to browse a shared folder.

Chuck

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

Hi chuck I use Plex to stream my movies etc to my TV. That might be a good way for you to go, you just need to install the plex server on your computer and sign up. Most LG TV's also support DLNA

I looked up DLNA and found a list of software that uses it. In the list was PlayOn, which I already have on my computer! I turned on the Media Library and it works great, allowing me to browse the fol

7 answers to this question

Hi chuck

I use Plex to stream my movies etc to my TV. That might be a good way for you to go, you just need to install the plex server on your computer and sign up. Most LG TV's also support DLNA nowadays anyway so you could always use that. It could also be that not all the files you're trying to watch are a supported format etc?

Ash

• Like 1

Hi @CpRivers

As @AshClink has suggested Plex is a good solution for media streaming, I would also recommend the app for webOS as it does a better job (IMO) than DLNA.  Best option is to run Plex Server from a Linux server base, if you are not heavily in to IT there are some simple solutions that can be run from a Raspberry Pi.

I have tried Plex before and it didn't work well. I don't remember why. I think it had something to do with the way the file names were listed. I was trying to check out WebOS but I can't find it or figure out how to install it. The Media Center in Windows has known problems that I ran into, such as not creating a complete list of videos.

On 12/15/2019 at 8:25 PM, CpRivers said:

I am looking for an app that will allow me to play videos from a shared folder on another computer, something like VLC. Is there an app for the LG to do this? I haven't been able to find anything. I set up the Media Center on the other computer but it doesn't work right and can't see all the available videos. I just want to be able to browse a shared folder.

Chuck

I have the same problem

@Csaba Bakó Did you follow what @CpRivers found to work? That is, media centre and PlayOn?

If you computer is a Windows 10 system, I recommend you ensure to get it updated to the latest Feature Update called 20H2, as many user have found this works very well "projecting" the screen to many TV models, including many of the newer, and certain older LG models. That way you can use any of the Video Players, such as VLC, WMP (Windows media Player), YouTube, Cyberlink etc, and "mirror" the PC screen.

You can also try using the in-built File Explorer, go to your Video Library,  right-click on a video file, and try the "cast-to" option. If your TV is on the same network as the PC and recognised, you should be able to play it over the network. NOTE: you will need too ensure that "Media Streaming" is turned on in the Windows 10 settings app or Control Panel.  Theasiest way to find that, is to click on the notifications bubble icon at the bottom right, choose "all settings", then in the search box type in the word media, then you will be able to select the Media Streaming settings shown in the select list.  Turn that function ON, ensure ALL your media devices (DLNA servers,  and the TV) on the network are turned on, and ensure you have ticked the "allow" for them to be used.

The DIVX video player ALSO has its own media server that i have played with for streaming to a TV, but it is a bit clunky, AND the DIVX Server stays active in the background when finished playing your videos, and will stop the PC from staying in SLEEP mode, unless you right-click on it and exit it after use.