Quantcast

ITS NOW 2018: Does the 2TB USB limitation still apply? even with NTFS and WebOS 3.5

So, it's the year 2018 and all the documentation I have found online says that LG TV's USB storage are limited to a max capacity of 2TB... nowadays that's considered rather small in terms of PVR and play backing of HDR 10bit content.

I've ordered a the LG 49sj800v which is due to be delivered in the next couple of weeks so I am in the process of preparing the hard drive ready for it, which I have a WD Red 6TB however after reading it seems to be limited to 2TB?! which surprises me because the TV even has a USB 3.0 port.

It is from my understanding that FAT32 is limited to 2TB and NTFS is limited to 16TB which brings me to my question(s):

1.  Does the 2TB limitation still apply in WebOS 3.5?
  2. if the limitation does still apply is the limitation caused by Hardware or Software?
  3. If the limiation does still apply can you use multiple partitions or is the limitation  the entire drive?

PS. I plan to use NTFS.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/4/2019 at 10:02 PM, RavinderSingh said:

Hi SimonHayterUK,

I see your question is more than one year old now. I am also looking for an answer to similar problem of 4TB limitation on external hdd. Did you find any answer or workaround?

Any help will muchly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

I have a LG webOS UH650V (2016) running 05.50.55 firmware, yesterday I attached a 4TB Western Digital Elements drive with a single NTFS partition and it is seen and works.