Quantcast

Audio Drop Out on external speaker for LG TV

azrieljames

Question

I have an LG 50" 4k television (50UH5530) that I recently purchased. I have it connected to an OSD SoundSole 2.1 (virtual surround sound system) via the optical out. I had no problems with the audio on the previous TV, but with my LG television, regardless of what input or device I am using (live TV, video game console, Apple TV, etc) the sound cuts off, for about 1 second every 5-10 minutes. 

Anyone have any idea why this might be happening, or how to fix? TV problem? Speaker system problem? Help, thanks!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I have the same issue with an LG 49UF770V.

I have had this TV for about 9 months with no problems until the last few days, now I get exactly
as you describe, sound drop-outs of up to a half second (occasionally longer) at random intervals,
probably a dozen times in a hour.

System comprises:
Humax satelite PVR connected via HDMI.
Satelite LNB connected directly to the TV LNB input.
Network connected via wi-fi to TV.
Sony audio amplifier connected to optical output of TV.

I see the same issue using any input method so my conclusion is that this must be a
TV software/hardware problem maybe related to processor loading or lack of memory or
both.

As a test I switched the network connection from wi-fi to hard wired, thinking that this may reduce
the processor load slightly, and I also switched the audio out from 'Auto' to Dolby Plus.

Today I watched a full length film on Netflix without any drop-out, and this evening my wife watched
TV using the Humax and only noticed two drop-outs all evening.

Note that no internet was being used by the system this evening other than whatever the set may be
doing in the background.

There have been no firmware updates (unless there is a bug that allows them when the auto-update is set
to OFF).

My firmware version is 04.25.55    (Anyone know when this was released?)
and the WebOS version is 2.21-1341

I am now convinced that the problem relates to the internet connection provided to the TV whether it is wired or wireless, even if the media being watched is not using the internet or LAN.

After several months without sound problems, we developed an intermittent internet connection which caused the speed to drop. At the same time our audio drop-out issue re-surfaced.

The internet problem is a cable fault which has taken many weeks and lots of visits to find, so I finally gave up trying to use the optical sound link and took a cable from the headphone socket  direct to the amplifier RCA input and now there are no more sound issues.

So if anyone who is in guarantee can be bothered trying get some action on this from LG, they may wish to point them at this post.

I am now resigned to using my installation as it is, but feel very disappointed that such a well respected company could allow a product onto the market with such an annoying fault.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Mario Futire
      Hi
      I have a Smart TV OLED55B16LA with Satellite and CAM Card.
      I can record Satellite programs, but it seems it only records the "default" language. When I play back the other language is lost.
      Is it possible to record all languages, or at least decide which one?
      Cheers

• By davexnet
      Hello -
      after no updates for approx. 2 years, the TV updated to 06.00.03 about 4 months ago, now to
      this latest, which is described as a bug fix release.

This release has changed the  TV picture, it is too bright, almost garish, with a decidedly blue color cast -
      Let's be honest, a stable and properly balanced image was never one of the TV's strong points, now it's almost unwatchable.
      Why would anybody update the TV firmware picture settings of a 4 year old TV in such a drastic way? 
    • By Jeff Blackman
      My  TV  sound is connected to a BOSE sound system via the TV's optical output. Is it possible to connect Bluetooth hearing aids at the same time?
    • By Graemew
      I have an LG Smart TV and I wanted to watch the US open tennis final live from Spain.  I subscribed to Eurovision to get access to the game, but then I couldn’t find the Eurovision app on my TV.   Where is it?  How else could I have watched the live tennis?
    • By Alex
      LG Ads, the company's advertising arm, has announced River OS which is a new Smart TV operating system built on ads and personalization. The first River OS-based Smart TVs will ship in late 2021.

LG River OS
      LG said that it has already lined up multiple OEM partners. The first River OS-powered Smart TVs will ship in India by the end of 2021, and in the US and elsewhere sometime in 2022. - "Our current OEM partners include LG, Sharp, Hisense, Toshiba, Seiki, Skyworth, Tivo, and Sling Media, with over 10 more OEMs committed to joining us in 2021," the company said.
      River OS will have a personalized home screen with content and ads tailored to the specific user through profiling. All device, input, channel, and app switching in the Smart TV is handled by River OS, which will also have deep integration of voice control. - "With streaming dominating viewing time today, it’s still too hard for people to find, discover and enjoy the programs they want to watch, across literally thousands of content sources available. River OS solves that challenge in an elegant way and delivers new, fully voice-controlled smart TV features that consumers will find innovative and essential. And we’re able to package ad-supported content in a way that allows our OEM partners to deliver a high-quality product at an affordable price point," said John Gee, chief business development officer for LG Ads.

The company's new alternative TV operating system was created by LG Ads Solutions, which is a partnership between LG and Alphonso. LG acquired a controlling stake in Alphonso in January 2021. - "Content partners and brand advertisers will have a rich array of interactive native ad formats, including home screen takeovers, for engaging consumers on the largest screen in the house. Native ads enable viewers to easily click through the ad units to trailers, videos, microsites, and other experiences," said LG Ads Solutions with reference to River OS-powered Smart TVs. Also read: LG's webOS 6.0 platform for 2021 TVs has a redesigned homescreen It is unclear what River OS means for the future of LG's webOS that has already taken a turn toward ads and personalization in version 6.0 that comes pre-installed on LG's 2021 LCD and OLED TVs. LG said that "major content streaming services and apps will be readily available on River OS-powered TVs", which could suggest that there is a link to webOS.
      Source: 
      link hidden, please login to view