Quantcast

Strange caracter in subtitles

Ruisuperstar

Question

6 answers to this question

Well, what can I say.... it appears the TV can't handle italic formatting <i> tags.

You should report this to LG support, but I don't have any hope of LG fixing this any time soon. They seem to have given up on webos alltogether. They LOVE To sell new tv sets, but fixing these kinds of "basic" issues with their software seems to be very far down on their list of priorities.

I love the new thinking with webos, but I absolutely HATE having anything to do with LG. They really just doesn't seem to give a damn...

/Henrik - who really want to throw an egg on the president of LG...

• Like 1

I have found a solution for the encoding of the Subtitle via surfing net, i hope it may be helpful

It worked so good on my Lg 42LB6520 that Running WEBOS

I found a  hidden menu in WebOS which allows you to change the encoding, Size , Color and position of the subtitles of all languages.

First you have to save the subtitle file as Ansi Encoding by NotePad Program on any Pc

Steps:

1) Play your movie

2) When you see Strange characters appears with your subtitles hit Pause.

3) In the Pause menu click on the little arrow on the right hand side.

4) Click on the button that says 'Sub'

5) Click on External

6) A hidden menu will Appear!!!

7) Select Code Page that suit your languge till the Subtitle characters appeares fine

8) Also you can select Size, Color, Position, Sync....etc
  • Like 1

I think that is nothing to do with Italic. It happens when the character that is speaking don't appear on the image. It is a really strange thing

Isn't this the case when someone is speaking off camera, the subtitle is in italic. I have checked at least one movie here at home and that is definitely the case.

A few years ago I developed a custom movie viewer for Windows Phone, and subtitling was one of the features I was working on, and even in that small viewer, we supported proper subtitle formatting, including bold and italic... I am baffled by the fact that webos can't get these things correct.

/H 

I have found a solution for the encoding of the Subtitle via surfing net, i hope it may be helpful

It worked so good on my Lg 42LB6520 that Running WEBOS

I found a  hidden menu in WebOS which allows you to change the encoding, Size , Color and position of the subtitles of all languages.

First you have to save the subtitle file as Ansi Encoding by NotePad Program on any Pc

Steps:

1) Play your movie
2) When you see Strange characters appears with your subtitles hit Pause.
3) In the Pause menu click on the little arrow on the right hand side.
4) Click on the button that says 'Sub'
5) Click on External
6) A hidden menu will Appear!!!
7) Select Code Page that suit your languge till the Subtitle characters appeares fine
8) Also you can select Size, Color, Position, Sync....etc

Does this solve the problem with <i> tags not being rendered correctly?

/H

http://www.lgwebos.com/topic/1660-better-subtitle-handling-parsing-the-ii-and-bb-tags/

Until they fix the issue, the only way is to fix the subtitles by replacing <i>, </i>, <b>, </b>, <font...>, </font...> etc. tags with 'notnihg'. Here you are the macro for UltraEdit to get rid of <i>&<b> tags:

InsertMode
ColumnModeOff
HexOff
UnixReOff
Find "<i>"
Replace All ""
UnixReOff
Find "</i>"
Replace All ""
UnixReOff
Find "<b>"
Replace All ""
UnixReOff
Find "</b>"
Replace All ""

I have assigned this macro to Ctrl+F5 so now I need 5 seconds to drag'n'drop the subtitle file to UltraEdit, press Ctrl+F5 and save.

You can use any text editor that supports macros and extend the functionality as you need.

• Thanks 1