Quantcast

PreCentral: Switching to iPhone? Here's how to make it more like webOS [from the forums]

Switching to iPhone? Here's how to make it more like webOS [from the forums]

As much as we love webOS, we know there's plenty of reason to move on to other platforms. Progress on the webOS Ports porting to other devices is going to be slow by the very nature of the open source work, and we have no guarantee that LG's ever going to bring webOS to smartphones or tablets again. Eventually our Pres and Veers and Pixis will stop working, eventually HP will shut down the cloud servers, eventually we'll have to start looking at what the other options are out there.

When it comes to the multitasking prowess of webOS, there's still no equal, in our less than humble opinion. So what if you're looking at an iPhone? Is double clicking the home button to see the icons of your running apps really going to do it for you? We think not. Thankfully, webOS Nation Forum member i_maq dug through the iOS jailbreak scene (jailbreak? how sad they have to call it that) to find all the additions you'll need to

link hidden, please login to view

i_maq found a number of useful installs, including enabling webOS-style app cards, gestures to switch between apps, a JustType kinda-sorta-clone, individually-dismissible notifications, and even rounded corners!

Of course, if you're going to jailbreak your iPhone you're going to have to know how to do that. Thankfully, our friends over at our iPhone-obsessed sister site .

We know that many of you have switched to iOS already (your friendly neighborhood editor-in-chief actually has an iPhone on one of his lines - don't judge). Those of you that have, did homebrew spoil you to the point where doing this was but a foregone conclusion? And those that are considering a switch - does this sway you in any way? Sound off in the comments.

mf.gif

a2t.imgCsbU3mqNqNk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By cptl
      Hi,
      My problem is that my Netflix app on my LG tv (OLED65B13LA) keeps selecting the leftmost button, it's impossible to scroll the cursor to the right to select another button. I tried resetting the tv to factory defaults - after installing Netflix again the issue is exactly the same.
      I also tried disconnecting the tv from power for a few minutes. Plus I contacted Netflix, but they said I need to contact TV manufacturer before they log a possible bug in the app :/.
      My Amazon Prime app works perfectly fine on the same tv.
      Any thoughts?
    • By ajmboy
      So LG has put webOS on TVs, projectors, and now cars with webos auto. Does anyone thing LG will ever produce a webos powered smartphone or tablet? I know samsung has tried with tizen and it was only with the palm pre 2 and touchpad from HP that we saw webos on these types of devices. Just curious on what everyone thingks. Here's what webos used to look like..

HP Touchpad

• By News Reporter
      Home entertainment experiences are evolving to better match the unique preferences and tastes of users and add a touch of fun and enjoyment to their daily lives. In line with this trend, LG is taking the lead with its latest TVs, services and content so that everyone can access a more convenient home entertainment experience.
      To bring greater pleasure to precious moments with family and friends, LG is introducing a range of new entertainment services to its smart TVs. From engaging casual games to lively karaoke sessions and creating unique content, LG Smart TVs are all about delivering an experience filled with enjoyment and excitement for everyone.

Amazing gaming experiences are provided by Busidol, the TV game developer behind the popular El Dorado series. LG TV owners can now enjoy six easy-to-play, 2D graphics-based hybrid casual games which support both Magic Motion Remote and the LG Lifestyle screens touch function.
      The Chess: A Clash of Kings1 invites family or friends to gather around an LG TV screen for a classic match of chess that can be played on either side of the virtual board.

LG also features board games like Billion Marble1, which has players rolling three dice to move around the game board across various countries using in-game currency. Another game users can play is Incredible Tank1, a shooting action game offering intense real-time battles and the ability to personalize items, level up their tanks and increase their rank by excelling on the battlefield.

The user-friendly games provided by LG Smart TVs sharpen the player’s focus: Hidden Catch1 challenges players to spot the difference between two images, Card Match1 puts their memory to the test against friends and Animal Hit1 blends strategy with deduction by asking players to guess the card order.

Beyond gaming, LG Smart TVs will soon offer another form of entertainment with the upcoming introduction of K-araoke2, a service which brings fun-filled karaoke nights home. Through weekly updates, this service keeps users in tune with the latest hits, while offering an extensive collection of popular songs to choose from. It also boasts an easy-to-navigate interface and will support USB microphone allowing for rating and scoring the performance for the ultimate karaoke experience.

Another new LG Smart TV companion combines interaction and engagement to elevate the entertainment experience. Introducing Selfie Cam,3 the first TV-dedicated selfie app, which uses the USB camera4 and the TV’s Magic Remote to take and decorate photos by adding motion stickers, fun effects or frames based on AI to make moments even more memorable.

With CELEBe,5 a short-form reward-based blockchain web3 platform, LG Smart TV users can enjoy various short-form content while earning rewards through in-app activities centered around content viewing. Thanks to this platform, users can create their own content via the editing tools provided and receive rewards based on the views they accumulate. This not only promotes greater engagement but also the generation of more high-quality content.
      To learn more about the LG Home Entertainment Company’s efforts to deliver differentiated lifestyle experiences, stay tuned to the
      link hidden, please login to view. # # #
      1 Available on webOS 5.0 (2020 TV) or higher and LG StanbyME Go.
      2 Available on webOS 6.0 (2021 TV) or higher in Australia, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Russia, South Korea, Spain, United Kingdom and US.
      3 Available on webOS 6.0 (2021 TV) or higher.
      4 Selfie Cam requires the use of separate camera hardware, which is not bundled with the TVs. For optimal performance, compatible cameras with Full HD or higher resolutions are recommended. LG recommends using the Logitech C920, C922, C925, C930 or the LG Smart Cam when using this app.
      5 Available on webOS 4.0 (2018 TV) or higher in India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand and Vietnam.

• By DAJ
      I have an LG tv 43UP77006LB.BEKFLJP. Just recently, having owned the tv for a couple of years, the tv has taken to switching itself on during the night, usually at about 2.00 am. The tv is connected to a TalkTalk box for recording purposes but that has never caused an issue before. It appears to coincide with connecting a DVD player using an HDMI cable to the tv, although it was only connected for a short time and is now disconnected, so it may be irrelevant.

It appears to be a common problem.

Thanks.
    • By haptrail
      I have an LG C2 Web OS TV and a Roku Ultra Model 4670RW.  The Roku comes with an option called "1-touch play" which allows you to switch the TV from between devices connected to other HDMI 2.1 inputs.  I have a Roku in one input, a DVD player in another, and a Directv Streaming box in another.  With this same setup on a Vizio V435-H11 TV, I am able to press the home/play buttons on the Roku remote and no matter which input I'm watching, it will switch to the Roku.  Same with pressing remote buttons on the DVD player and Directv remotes - the TV will switch to that device.  But with the LG C2 TV, none of the switching takes place when pressing the same buttons on the remotes for the other devices.   I have enabled the "1-touch play" on the Roku remote (settings/system/control other devices/1-touch play), and I have enabled the IR Setup (settings/Remotes & Devices/Remotes/Enhanced Voice Remote/Setup Remote for TV Control/IR setup).  I cannot enable the CEC setup on the Roku Remote, but that doesn't affect the 1-touch play switching function on the Vizio TV so I don't think that plays into the limitation on the LG C2.  I have also enabled the CEC (Simplink) function on the LG C2 (General/Devices/HDMI Settings/Simplink (HDMI-CEC)).   I've read some solutions online and have done a system restart on the Roku as well as disconnecting all devices from power, disconnecting all the HDMI cables, waiting 5 minutes, and reconnecting all.  I am using all new 2.1 HDMI compatible cables.  Any body else having this problem with using a Roku Ultra and an LG C2 TV and found a solution?   Thanks!