Quantcast

PreCentral: Sprint's totally cool with you using your old Pre on one of their MVNOs

Sprint's totally cool with you using your old Pre on one of their MVNOs

Got an old or or sitting around that you'd like to put to work on another network? Turns out that even though, according to the Librarian of Congress' interpretation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act the unlocking of cellphones is illegal without carrier approval, is totally on the side of giving you said approval.

Sprint announced today in a press release that they have no problem with you using your old Sprint phone on another network - so long as it's one of Sprint's own MVNOs (Mobile Virtual Network Operator). In essence, you can use your old Sprint phone on any network, so long as it's Sprint. The list of MVNOs that ride on Sprint's network is actually more than twenty operators long and includes popular names like Virgin, Boost, and Republic. Sprint's touting the option to use your old Sprint smartphone as the "Bring Your Own Sprint Device" program, taking the initiative to lower "the number of inactive phones in the market, diverting phones from landfills." Also, Sprint gets another paying customer without having to deal with the costs of subsidizing a new phone. A growing portion of the customers on Sprint's networks are on these MVNOs, which typically are of the pre-paid no-contract variety as opposed to the traditional post-paid contract system on which Sprint's network was built.

It's worth noting that Bring Your Own Sprint Device, as the name says, only applies to Sprint devices. And that's not just because Sprint hates that you happen to have sitting in a drawer. While it might be technically possible given the right proprietary bits to reprogram a Verizon phone to work on Sprint or vice versa (we may or may not have be done so with regularity ), it's a much more difficult endeavour these days. Besides, Sprint wants you to use their phones.

mf.gif

a2t.imgeZrdj4XRSGU

link hidden, please login to view

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By News Reporter
      Relationship to Support Big Data, AI, Connected Cars,
      Digital Transformation and Robotics Applications

SEOUL, Jan. 10, 2022 – LG Electronics (LG) today announced joining the IBM Quantum Network to advance industry applications of quantum computing. By joining the IBM Quantum Network, LG will receive access to IBM’s quantum computing systems, as well as to IBM’s quantum expertise and Qiskit, IBM’s open-source quantum information software development kit.
      Using IBM Quantum technology, LG aims to explore applications of quantum computing in any areas requiring processing a large amount of data including AI, connected cars, digital transformation, IoT and robotics applications. LG will be able to leverage quantum computing hardware and software advances and applications as they emerge, in accordance with IBM’s . By leveraging IBM Quantum technology, LG will be able to provide workforce training to its employees, permitting LG to investigate how potential breakthroughs can be applied to its industry.
      Quantum computing is an exciting evolution in computation. While classical computers calculate in bits that represent 0 and 1, quantum computers use qubits that harness quantum mechanical phenomena such as interference and entanglement in computation to solve problems that are fundamentally intractable for classical computers. As a result, quantum computing is well suited to help explore new solutions to a wide range of problems.
      The IBM Quantum team and LG are researching and exploring how quantum computing will help a ‎variety of industries and disciplines, including finance, energy, chemistry, materials science, ‎optimization and machine learning, among many others.
      “Based on our open innovation strategy, we plan to use IBM Quantum to develop our competency in quantum computing,” said Kim Byoung-hoon, CTO and executive vice president of LG Electronics. “We aim to provide customers with value that they have not experienced so far by leveraging quantum computing technology in future businesses.”
      “We’re happy to welcome LG Electronics to a growing quantum computing ecosystem in Korea at an exciting time for the region,” said Jay Gambetta, IBM Fellow and VP, Quantum Computing at IBM. “The relationship between IBM and LG Electronics will permit LG to explore new types of problems associated with emerging technologies and will help strengthen the quantum capabilities in Korea.”
      # # #

link hidden, please login to view
    • By LGquestion
      Hi You!   Bought a new LG TV... but before I remove the old LG TV... how can I copy/export the Photos/videos (using the inbuilt camera) on an old LG TV webos to computer/mobile/mac/pc?  Please...... Please ......
      Liam

• By John Bizeray
      I recently updated the firmware on my  LG43UH610V.  Now I constantly get "Wired Lan cable disconnected" / "Wired network is connected" messages even while watching a video file from my NAS. The TV is connected and using the network while getting these messages. It has always been on a fixed IP address on the LAN.
    • By watchTV
      On my LG 49UN71 my custom input title and icon resets if I ever disconnect the HDMI cable. Can you make it so this doesn't change regardless what happens to the actual connection? See this post for more info:

• By Boy80
      Hi, I'm playing an old videogame (Nintendo SNES or NES, 16bit or 8bit) on my LG TV, but I see very bad the screen, the upscaling seems bilinear.
      I think LG should include various kinds of upscaling methods for videogame mode, such as nearest neighbor, waifu2x, XBRZ ..
      Please add some settings to make old guys happy ..
      Thanks