Quantcast

PreCentral: Sprint's totally cool with you using your old Pre on one of their MVNOs

Sprint's totally cool with you using your old Pre on one of their MVNOs

Got an old or or sitting around that you'd like to put to work on another network? Turns out that even though, according to the Librarian of Congress' interpretation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act the unlocking of cellphones is illegal without carrier approval, is totally on the side of giving you said approval.

Sprint announced today in a press release that they have no problem with you using your old Sprint phone on another network - so long as it's one of Sprint's own MVNOs (Mobile Virtual Network Operator). In essence, you can use your old Sprint phone on any network, so long as it's Sprint. The list of MVNOs that ride on Sprint's network is actually more than twenty operators long and includes popular names like Virgin, Boost, and Republic. Sprint's touting the option to use your old Sprint smartphone as the "Bring Your Own Sprint Device" program, taking the initiative to lower "the number of inactive phones in the market, diverting phones from landfills." Also, Sprint gets another paying customer without having to deal with the costs of subsidizing a new phone. A growing portion of the customers on Sprint's networks are on these MVNOs, which typically are of the pre-paid no-contract variety as opposed to the traditional post-paid contract system on which Sprint's network was built.

It's worth noting that Bring Your Own Sprint Device, as the name says, only applies to Sprint devices. And that's not just because Sprint hates that you happen to have sitting in a drawer. While it might be technically possible given the right proprietary bits to reprogram a Verizon phone to work on Sprint or vice versa (we may or may not have be done so with regularity ), it's a much more difficult endeavour these days. Besides, Sprint wants you to use their phones.

mf.gif

a2t.imgeZrdj4XRSGU

link hidden, please login to view

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By John Bizeray
      I recently updated the firmware on my  LG43UH610V.  Now I constantly get "Wired Lan cable disconnected" / "Wired network is connected" messages even while watching a video file from my NAS. The TV is connected and using the network while getting these messages. It has always been on a fixed IP address on the LAN.
    • By williamsats
      Hello, 
      I recently got a 32LB650V from LG Hellas as replacement of my old 32LM620A where it had a serious damage that coldn't be repaired. 
      Nice move from LG but....
      The new WebOS for the moment is a crap compared to the old menu.
      In the old menu i had:
      LG Premium with lot's of goodies
      LG Smart World where it was full of apps of anykind and i could find anything i want. 
      LG 3D World with nice short movies, cartoons and documentaries in 3D.
      Where are all these in WebOS????????

Now i have only youtube, facebook and 2-3 other useless stuff.

OK the panel's quality is better, sound is better, the configuration menu is OK, but where are all the other things that made me buy my old 32LM620A????????
    • By Chalika
      Hi, I have a tv which purchased in Hong Kong, model is LG 65uf9500. But I have brought the TV to New Zealand and I cannot use lots of the features such as Netflix and Youtube, also lagging sometimes. Can I update the Firmware with New Zealand?
    • By BHPOST
      My new gallery series OLED TV died after less than two months. For weeks now, I have been calling LG support for help. The have created multiple repair tickets, but they have not been to get a repair technician out to fix the problem.
      LG keeps trying to outsource the repair to 3rd party service companies. Does anyone know how I can find a local tech that works for LG to come out and fix it?
      If not, what recourse do I have?
      Thank you. 
    • By Cookie
      My LG TV was working fine and the internet was working. I went on a 3 day trip and came back and it now says 'Check Network Connection'
      The internet works fine on my laptop and other devices. When I go into the WiFi options, it shows a loading indicator by my network.
      I click on another internet connection, then go back (so it doesn't show the loading indicator) and I enter the password correctly and click 'Connect' and it says this:
      Unknown issue has occurred.
      Please check the status and try again.

I can't do anything (like watch YouTube, browse the web, etc)
      I sometimes leave it on the loading indicator for 5-10 min and it doesn't do anything. Please help..

Error Code: -137