Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Sign in to follow this  
NewsDummy

PreCentral: Sprint's totally cool with you using your old Pre on one of their MVNOs

Sprint's totally cool with you using your old Pre on one of their MVNOs

Got an old Sprint Palm Pre or Pixi or FrankenPre sitting around that you'd like to put to work on another network? Turns out that even though, according to the Librarian of Congress' interpretation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act the unlocking of cellphones is illegal without carrier approval, Sprint is totally on the side of giving you said approval.

Sprint announced today in a press release that they have no problem with you using your old Sprint phone on another network - so long as it's one of Sprint's own MVNOs (Mobile Virtual Network Operator). In essence, you can use your old Sprint phone on any network, so long as it's Sprint. The list of MVNOs that ride on Sprint's network is actually more than twenty operators long and includes popular names like Virgin, Boost, and Republic. Sprint's touting the option to use your old Sprint smartphone as the "Bring Your Own Sprint Device" program, taking the initiative to lower "the number of inactive phones in the market, diverting phones from landfills." Also, Sprint gets another paying customer without having to deal with the costs of subsidizing a new phone. A growing portion of the customers on Sprint's networks are on these MVNOs, which typically are of the pre-paid no-contract variety as opposed to the traditional post-paid contract system on which Sprint's network was built.

It's worth noting that Bring Your Own Sprint Device, as the name says, only applies to Sprint devices. And that's not just because Sprint hates that Verizon Pre Plus you happen to have sitting in a drawer. While it might be technically possible given the right proprietary bits to reprogram a Verizon phone to work on Sprint or vice versa (we may or may not have be done so with regularity back in the heady day of the Palm Treo), it's a much more difficult endeavour these days. Besides, Sprint wants you to use their phones.

mf.gif
emailthis2.gif bookmark.gif

a2.imga2t.imgeZrdj4XRSGU

View the full article

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Forum Topics

• Recording on the network share

If I understand correctly, currently (WebOS 4.0), it's possible to record TV shows on the flash drive only. Could you implement recording on the network share (Windows share, samba or similar)? I have small NAS so it would be great if I could use it's storage for this purpose. Regards, Jaroslav

in LG webOS Wish List

• Question: Pop up messages on TV:wired LAN disconnected, then Network connected

For the past few months I am getting intermittent pop up messages on my TV. 1st one says Wired LAN disconnected, then another message pops up and says Network connected. I have been calling my cable carrier Spectrum and Techs have been here and can't find problem. Also I went to check my wifi on my TV and my user name and connections aren't showing up all of a sudden. This TV was just purchased May 2017. What is going on and how to resolve!!

in LG webOS Smart TV App Questions

• Question: TV turns itself on / What keyboard?

I have on several occasions turned my TV off,  upon leaving the house and returning to it blaring away on some random channel on YouTube! What would be the cause of this? Is there a way to turn it "OFF" off and not just standby mode? Second question: What type of keyboard could I use for my TV and how does one install it so the TV picks it up? I hate using the on-screen unit! 

in LG webOS Smart TV Questions

• Palm is Back with a New Palm Phone Companion

If you are webOS enthusiast, you remember Palm as the brand that brought you webOS 1.0 on a smart phone before it was sold to HP fro Touchpads and then LG for Smart TVs. Today, we have webOS off to LG and the Palm brand off to TCL Communications. We have been waiting to see what was to come with palm and today we have a new website that's up and a cool gadget, dubbed a "companion". Below is information from https://www.palm.com "We found partners who were as passionate about celebrating the choice to stay connected and be present with Palm, a vision that brings people out of technology and back into their lives. We’re working with TCL Communication to manufacture Palm and exclusively launching with Verizon Wireless in the United States, establishing the new ultra-mobile category." History of Palm Palm was one of the first companies to put mobile devices into consumers’ hands. Palm changed the mobile game when they introduced the popular PalmPilot in 1996—ushering in the handheld mobile era. Palm is back and ready to change the game again. The original PalmPilot made your computer mobile, now we’re making smartphones truly mobile again. We have embraced Palm’s innovative spirit and created a new ultra-mobile device that keeps you connected and present at the same time. The new Palm is an ultra-mobile product that’s about the size of a credit card with smart features and quick actions, so you can instantly access everything you need and nothing you don’t—even when your smartphone is nowhere to be seen. Palm syncs with your Android or iOS device so you’ll never miss a thing, even if your smartphone is at home.  Features Size of a Credit Card Syncs with Android and iOS Stunning HD Display Water and Dust Resistant Two Cameras 12MP and 8MP Runs on Android with Google Assistant Facial Recognition Gesture Pad Quick Actions   Specs Processor    Qualcomm® 435 processor. Octa-core CPU Display    3.3” HD Display - 445 ppi high pixel density LCD Glass    Impact resistant front and rear Corning Gorilla Glass Cameras    12MP rear camera with flash + 8MP front camera Construction    Crafted billet aluminum mid-frame Durability    IP68 water and dust resistant Memory    3 GB RAM / 32 GB Storage Battery    800mAh non-removable battery,All-day battery life*, 3+ day standby time Audio    Dual-purpose speaker Sensors    G-Sensor, Glonass GPS, Proximity, E-compass, Gyro Connectivity    4G LTE, Bluetooth 4.2 low energy WLAN 802.11 b/g/n (2.4GHz) Non-removable nano SIM  OS    Android 8.1 Security    Face unlock Dimensions    50.6 x 96.6 x 7.4mm Weight    62.5 grams Colors    Available in titanium and gold Visit https://www.palm.com for more information  

in Palm Pre and Pre Plus

• Question: LG UHD TV digital sound out popping noise problem

Dear Readers,

I've a strange issue that I've been struggling for a week. I bought an LG43UJ634V UHD TV and an LG LHB645N Home Theater in a Box system.
      I use HDMI ARC to connect the audio from the TV to receiver. LG has an option to chose between PCM or Auto at the Digital output settings.

If I use the PCM option everything sounds great, but I don't have 5.1, only 2.1.
      And here comes the problem. When I choose Auto, 5.1 is on, sounds great but I have occasional popping noise (like when play something on an old LP player) it happens random, but for example during a film, it is very annoying. It happens with YouTube, Netflix, DLNA streaming, external devices, so the content doesn't matter. I think I've tried everything. I tested it with different HDMI cables, optical cable, but still have the problem. I tested it with a sound bar as well, the problem is the same.
      When I play content from the receiver, there is no problem, the sound is wonderful, no popping. Also, the TVs speakers are okay.

I don't think it is a hardware issue, because the TV's sound is OK, the home theater's sound is OK, the problem only happens when I want to use the digital output of the TV (either HDMI ARC or Optical) with auto setting.
      I called LG as well, the rep. said the she will pass this info to the technical team.

Do you have any idea, that it can be solved, or I need to wait for a software update?

in LG webOS Smart TV Questions