Quantcast

PreCentral: Adjust messaging vibrate length/pattern with SMS Vibrate patch

News Reporter

Tweaks - MessagingWhen your webOS device is set to vibrate-only and a notification comes in, be it a text message, email, or app alert, there is usually no way to distinguish what that alert is for unless you physically look at your phone. There have been patches in the past that changed the length of the messaging vibration alert to a longer preset length, but now you can install a

link hidden, please login to view
-enabled patch that not only allows you to not only set the length of the vibration, but you can also set a vibration pattern.

Once you install the "SMS Vibrate" patch by webOS forum member nickpl, just load up Tweaks and go to the Messaging section. There should be a new VIBRATE section with two options.

• PERIOD: This sets the vibration pattern. The length of time you enter here will be the repeating period between vibrations. If this is set to 1, you get one long vibration
  • DURATION: The total duration time of the vibration pattern.

These options use milliseconds to set the length of time. So a value of 1000 is the same a 1 second, 2000 equals 2 seconds, etc. Regardless of your selections, you will still get your standard vibration alert, but it will then be followed by the pattern you assigned above. So if you want a short vibration every second for 5 seconds, you would set Period = 1000 and Duration = 5000. If you want 10 short bursts over the course of 1 second, you would set Period = 100 and Duration = 1000.  If you want a single long vibration that lasts a second and a half, you would set Period = 1 and Duration = 1500.  Got it?  Also, note that unlike many other Tweaks, this does not require a to take affect. Just make your changes, wait until your next text message/IM to come in, and then adjust the settings until you find something you like

Note that this patch has only been tested on webOS 2.2.4 and may not be available on earlier versions.

Source:

mf.gif

a2t.imgCaEgSKR6cQU

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Low Grade
      i just started using a new LG 43UR7550 (cheapest model from them).......1st time using a LG as well as a Smart TV too.......and so far having a hard time adjusting the picture and sound (never had such problems with previous TVs)😒

1) sound is worse than i thought since the speakers are down-firing (my previous TV had front-firing speakers)...........it has the AI Sound Tuning - so after it had tuned the sound - do i set the Sound Mode to ''AI'' or should i use ''Custom Settings'' to use the equalizer ??😬

2) the TV has many different settings like Noise Reduction, TruMotion, etc.......so how to calibrate for best picture since i read that people say it's best to turn them all off ?😬

3) i can turn off the screen when watching free-to-air broadcast channels.........but can i turn off the screen if i'm using Youtube app on the TV..........?..........what if i use a HDMI cable from my PC to the TV - can i turn off the screen ?🤒

many thanks in advance😃
    • By peppeve
      Is possible to have the correct code to set in AREA CODE from the ezadjust menu for my tv? I have an imported EU 60lb730v my actual code is 3122 but i need ITALIAN AREA CODE for set on the MHP function. Thank's
    • By OLED 65
      I have a  series 6 oled 65 inch it is  1.5 years old.  It has experienced burn in from the news baners that CBS uses.   This is true even though I simply watch the evening news.  That is bad enough but now it has a growing green patch that is not burn in.  See the lower right quadrant of the screen near the tail of the y.   This is a know problem with series  6 pannels.   I am 6 month out of warranty so lg say too bad.  In short, lg manufactured a faulty pannel, which it has since replaced, but won't aknowledge or stand by its customers.  $3,500 wasted.

• By OLED 65
      I am getting a green patch, which is growing, on my series 6 65" oled
    • By pivotCE
      The time has come; HP has finally shut off the App Catalog payment service. This means that as of November 1, you can no longer purchase new paid apps from the App Catalog. However, you can still download apps that you have previously purchased and can acquire new free apps until January 15th. After that point, the App Catalog will be gone for good (at least the official one will…) and you’ll have no way to restore your apps. So, you’ll want to make sure that you’ve backed them up. This guide will walk you through the primary app backup method: saving IPKs when you download and update apps.

There are several ways to backup in webOS. Since this is just one of them, expect subsequent howto articles on other methods.
      What is an IPK?
      Named for their file extension (.ipk), an IPK is a package that contains all of the bits that make up an app, as well as all of the information necessary to successfully install the app on a webOS device. Its name includes the company’s name, the app name, the version of the app and the device architecture (ie. the IPK file for the latest version of the phone Facebook app is named com.palm.app.facebook_1.5.62_all.ipk). “com.palm.app” represents the company (Palm/HP), facebook represents the app name, 1.5.62 is the version of the app, and all of it means that this is a package that will run on all architectures that webOS will support.
      When you download an app (either paid or free) from the App Catalog, your device will download the IPK from HP’s servers, install the app, and then remove the IPK so that it doesn’t take up extra space.
      Why this method of backup?
      This method is the preferred method because it allows you to take a backup of the “cleanest” version of the app – the package issued directly from the manufacturer. Other methods will attempt to rebuild the IPKs using data from an already installed app, so you run the risk of it not working quite right, especially if the app does something quirky as part of its setup process. So, they should only be relied upon if the IPK is not available from the App Catalog, or if you will lose critical data and do not have another device that you can download the IPK to.
      Let’s Get Started
      This guide assumes that you have followed the instructions in
      link hidden, please login to view, and that your device is ready for patching. Please note that we will be using webOS Quick Install for this process as Preware does not support installing patches that don’t come from an official feed. Here’s what you have to do:
      Download and install the nodeleteipk patch. Check App Availability. Delete Apps. Re-download Apps. Save downloaded IPKs. Step 1: Get the nodeleteipk patch
      Typically, after installing an app, the App Catalog will delete the IPK that it came from. However, early last year, forum user GMMan learned that there was a configuration file option that would tell your device not to delete the IPK, allowing you to keep it for backup. He put together some detailed instructions, and also built a patch to make things nice and easy.

To install this patch:
      Download the patch from the first post of  and save it to a place that you can access. Plug your device into your computer and when asked if you want “USB Mode” or “Just Charge”, pick “Just Charge”. Launch webOS Quick Install. Make sure that your device shows up in the upper right hand corner. If this is your first time running the tool you may be asked to install novacom drivers. These are what the tool uses to communicate with your phone. In that case, just follow the prompts. Click on the green plus icon on the right hand side of the window, navigate to the file that you downloaded, and hit select. Click the “Install” button and wait for the tool to install the package. When it is done, the list of files to install will be empty, and you’ll be good to go. Step 2: Check App Availability
      In the meantime since you originally purchased the app, it may have been pulled from the App Catalog. Open the App Catalog app on your device and run a search for each app that you plan to back up. If the search comes up empty, the app has been pulled for some reason and is no longer available. DO NOT DELETE IT FROM YOUR DEVICE. There are other methods of backing up these apps, which will be covered in a later guide.
      If you do find it, you are good to proceed.
      Step 3: Delete Apps
      NOTE: Deleting an app will remove all of it’s data from your device. This means that you will lose data such as game progress, logins, settings and other data when you remove it. Make sure that the application’s data is backed up before you delete it. If you do not have a way to back up the application data, there are other methods of backing up these apps, which will be covered in a later guide. As a start check out .
      For each app that you plan to re-download, delete it. This can be done by:
      Opening the “Software Manager” application Scrolling to the application that you wish to delete Swiping right to delete Confirming that you would actually like to delete the app from the dialog.
      On a phone you can also hold down the Opt key and touch the app you want to delete. A confirmation pop-up will appear. TouchPad users can also delete applications by holding their finger down on the application icon until a little “x” appears. They can then tap the “x” and confirm that they want to delete the app.
      Step 4: Re-download apps

Open up the App Catalog app, search for any apps that you would like to re-download, and tap the download button beside them (on TouchPad) or open up the app’s details page and tap download (other devices). This will trigger the app to start downloading and installing, while saving the IPK.
      Step 5: Save Downloaded IPKs
      At this point, you should have a collection of IPKs stored on your device representing all of the apps that you wanted to save.

Plug your device into your computer, and when asked if you want “USB Mode” or “Just Charge”, pick “USB Mode”. The USB Mode icon will appear on your device’s screen, and a new drive with your device’s model name will appear where your USB drives normally do. (Desktop for Mac users, My Computer for Windows users).
      Open up this drive and navigate to the “downloads” directory. This is where everything that your device downloads, including IPKs, gets stored. Copy any file that ends in IPK to your computer as a backup, and I also recommend copying them to an additional place, such as a CD/DVD, flash drive, or cloud storage drive, as a further backup.

At this point, you’re done. You’ve successfully backed up your apps, and can delete the IPKs from your device to clear up some storage space. Just make sure that they’re kept in a safe place in case you ever need them.
      What’s Next?
      Preware and webOS Quick Install allow you to take IPKs that you backed up from the App Catalog or downloaded from other sources (such as homebrew) and install them on your device, meaning that you will be able to reinstall your apps after the App Catalog shuts down.
      In the meantime, you have two and a half months to get anything that is both free and interesting from the App Catalog. Download and back up whatever you can.
      While will continue to be available through the , for most of these apps, when January 15th rolls around, they will be gone for good. Save them while you can.