Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Sign in to follow this  
NewsDummy

PreCentral: Steve Jobs tried to protect HP and Mark Hurd to prevent everything that happened

Steve Jobs tried to protect HP and Mark Hurd to prevent everything that happened

The story of what happened to HP is a complicated and at times a depressing narrative. Things were going okay until 2010, when CEO Mark Hurd was forced out of his leadership position due to sexytime-driven accounting improprieties. That kicked off the era of Leo Apotheker, a disaster on all fronts for HP and webOS.

It's been known for a while that late Apple founder and CEO Steve Jobs was a fan of HP as a Silicon Valley institution, and today Businessweek published an extensive piece on HP's fall from grace that included a fascinating nugget: despite HP being a competitor on many fronts with Apple, Jobs personally urged Hurd to reconcile with HP. Jobs went so far as to personally email Hurd within a few days of his departure, asking if he "needed someone to talk to" (Jobs had gone through a similar ouster, though with less sexytimes, from Apple decades earlier).

"Hurd met Jobs at his home in Palo Alto, according to people who know both men but did not wish to be identified, compromising a personal confidence. The pair spent more than two hours together, Jobs taking Hurd on his customary walk around the tree-lined neighborhood. At numerous points during their conversation, Jobs pleaded with Hurd to do whatever it took to set things right with the board so that Hurd could return. Jobs even offered to write a letter to HP’s directors and to call them up one by one."

Of course, Jobs's motives in talking to Hurd and attempting to smooth the ruffled feathers of HP's board wasn't entirely personal. Jobs believed that a healthy HP was "essential to a healthy Silicon Valley," with HP essentially standing as the founding company of California's technology hotbed. Of course, Jobs was not able to bring Hurd and HP's board back together, and in things unraveled very quickly with the questionable selection of former SAP CEO Leo Apotheker as HP's new chief executive. How different things would have been under Hurd is hard to say, but it's all but certain that webOS would have been given the time and the money it needed to succeed.

mf.gif
emailthis2.gif bookmark.gif

a2.imga2t.imgwBXDgTLgKHg

View the full article

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Forum Topics

• LG Web OS 5.0 Smart TV? What happened to 4.0?

I'm not sure if this is real but saw this article published where they claim they have webos 5.0 on their LG TV.  See below.   Note : You can’t directly go from WebOS 3.5 to WebOS 5.3 . My experience after using LG LH 604 T Full HD Version review after using it for 4 months. What did we checked before switching or buying this Television ? The picture quality, price, Miracast to mirror my laptop screen and ability to stream 1080p  video without any problem. Is there a non FHD version ? Yes and the price is lower and all the specs same as that of FHD version. Every thing in short after my 4 months of experience. Pros Super sharp display (FHD, IPS Panel) and viewing angles Cheaper than other bands Dust won’t settle on your screen, but on other parts dust may settle if you are living a dusty region WebOS frequently updated with patches Eye comfort mode Good sound quality Supports almost all video and audio formats like MKV, AVI, DiviX, AAC etc Inbuilt apps for Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video and some country specific apps Support for Miracast or screen sharing or Inter WiDi. Note WiDi is used only in old laptops models Screen can be turned off, when playing only music. Remote with pointer mouse, so you can type songs or movie names quickly in YouTube, Netflix etc on the on screen keyboard. Also when you connect or mirror your laptop screen to this TV, remote pointer can be used as mouse and there is scroller on the remote. But only double click supported, no right nor left clicks Subtitles in the video is supported 2 Years LG warranty (Note this is country specific, so do ask your seller about this) Very less power consumption, screen consumes 4% of power, speakers consumes (20 Watt) 3% of total power input Cons TV lags Sound mode can’t be changed quickly like picture mode No support for wireless headphones Web browser closes after we viewed around 15 1080p YouTube videos, it says out of memory and during restart of the browser the crashed web page is shown for us to continue playing videos In built YouTube app settings has no option to set resolution of video to play only 1080p videos Universal remote costs around $75 if you need to buy a new one, note : till now there are no probs with my universal which I clubbed with my set top box (CISCO one) and all functions are supported During Miracast laptop mouse lags and still now I don’t know how to solve this issue. Documents like docx,PDF can’t be opened from flash drive or hard drive, but from Miracast its possible. Does it support USB mode of android mobiles ? My Sony Xperia USB mode supported but my lenovo USB mode not supported and this is weird! Final Thought For this price and with this much features loaded, we say its a good go one. If you need any info or clarify any doubts about this model, just drop a comment and I will answer that for you in a working day. Source article: https://www.techwibe.com/lg-full-hd-tv-webos/

By ajmboy, in LG webOS Smart TV Discussion

• 5 replies
    • [pivotCE]A webOS user’s story and why the webOS community is the best

KarenIf you’re an active member of the webOS community these days, you’ll know we’re a small, tight-knit group of friendly folks. Our three subgroups tend to be mostly free-time developers, advanced users, and those that are hanging on to the form factor/mobile OS despite its limited services and with little regard for the do-it-all-for-you modern devices. The forums on webOS Nation continue to be the primary source for communication and provide the venue for meeting the occasional “newcomer” to our little slice of the web. This is the story of one such friend of webOS. Meet Karen… …a complete stranger swimming in the sea of internet anonymity like us all. I met Karen via twitter. To read her full backstory check out her first post on the forums but I’ll summarize:  she had 3 Sprint Pres since 2009 which all died slow deaths physically, she bought a Veer with intent to switch to a GSM carrier but the setup steps were a bit daunting, so she reached out to the community for help. You may notice the time gap between her post and the tweet above. The Veer sat in the box for about a year and in the meantime she had been using a semi-crippled Sprint Pre and an unnamed Android device to get through her work and home life. She needed assistance with the Veer and I offered to help. But Karen’s story does not end with sending me the Veer nor is this a tale of getting a webOS user back up and running. What I learned from helping her was two-fold because while Karen is a specific person, she represents something bigger. Karen is “every man”…well, as it relates to the quiet masses of unnamed people out there still using webOS. There are more people still using webOS than we in the community realize. The forum may number in the 100s but there are likely 5-10x that still out there plugging away with that tacky keyboard and brittle slider. These folks will find us eventually on the forums. We must be ready and willing to assist. webOS is still impacting people’s lives in the original ways Palm strived to achieve. Connecting everything via synergy, fast task switching, and everything accessible via a “Just type” search among others. But this only encapsulates the “what” in webOS’ draw. I’ll let Karen tell you the “why” in the words she shared upon receiving the Veer back from me (emphasis added). “I’d been telling myself it’s ‘just a phone’ but…using it today, I know that webOS is so much more for me. I powered [the Veer] this morning and, I just don’t have words. It’s that July day back in 2009, all over again. Except…back then I was meeting a new friend, who, I thought, might help me live my life on my terms. The Pre was the first device I carried ubiquitously. Today, though, flipping through cards, running apps, it’s a long lost friend and partner, returning to my life. I hadn’t realized how it had been slipping away, one function at a time, with the Pre. You never know what you have until you’ve lost it. I can’t even express what this means to me. …I drive so hard in life, and depend on a few tools and people to enable my work. Years ago, when I was playing cello professionally, my daughter broke my cello, [I thought] permanently. It was in the shop for over a month, and while I had an exquisite loaner to use, it wasn’t the cello I had used every day for 25 years. Everything was just a tiny bit….off. Everything […] required extra thought, extra awareness. I finally got my cello back, restored. I didn’t have words then either. This feels exactly the same. Having a phone that is intuitive allows me to focus on the big stuff! I will put it succinctly:  webOS is a superlative tool that allows me to focus on work and do great good. My contributions to this world would be diminished without it.” Well said, Karen. webOS itself was quite the contribution to the world. And our little community, however small, still makes a big impact not in the market but in the lives of its users. It’s awesome to give back to those that make our little community great especially during the season of giving. Thanks webOS Nation! #webOSforever Related posts: UPDATE: Special Investigations Unit asks webOS Users for Help in Murder Case LuneOS Is All About Users View the full article

By pivotCE, in pivotCE News

• 0 replies
    • 55lb6500 - sound drop out many times

Since tree days ago my sound is dropping out when i see the tv after 1 hour. The sound is dropping out/disabling with cable tv, netflix or youtbue. With cable tv i need change the input and return to the sound come back. In the netflix or you tube  i need come back to menu and after go to video again with sound. It happens after about one hour of tv on. aftr it, many times in about 5 minutes. I think is something with the web os or app tv because i did many things to solve it: 1- set to default patterns of tv 2- turn off de remote control 3- unplug the hdmi connections or others    

By Rodrigo Cassini, in LG webOS Smart TV Discussion

• 0 replies
    • LG 43LH570V missing main things!!!

So then...i buy a smart tv and when i arrive at home i realise it is not smart tv...it misses web browser,can't connect keyboard with touchpad...so annoying pls add support software for keyboard and a web browser...it could be any browser...if u wanna keep clients then u should add browser to all the ,,smart tv,,-s because without it it's only a normal tv with built-in wifi

By isti1991, in LG webOS Wish List

• 1 reply