Quantcast

PreCentral: Steve Jobs tried to protect HP and Mark Hurd to prevent everything that happened

News Reporter

Steve Jobs tried to protect HP and Mark Hurd to prevent everything that happened

The story of what happened to HP is a complicated and at times a depressing narrative. Things were going okay until 2010, when CEO Mark Hurd was forced out of his leadership position due to sexytime-driven accounting improprieties. That kicked off

link hidden, please login to view
, a for HP .

It's been known for a while that late Apple founder and CEO Steve Jobs was a fan of HP as a Silicon Valley institution, and today Businessweek published an extensive piece on HP's fall from grace that included a fascinating nugget: despite HP being a competitor on many fronts with Apple, Jobs personally urged Hurd to reconcile with HP. Jobs went so far as to personally email Hurd within a few days of his departure, asking if he "needed someone to talk to" (Jobs had gone through a similar ouster, though with less sexytimes, from Apple decades earlier).

"Hurd met Jobs at his home in Palo Alto, according to people who know both men but did not wish to be identified, compromising a personal confidence. The pair spent more than two hours together, Jobs taking Hurd on his customary walk around the tree-lined neighborhood. At numerous points during their conversation, Jobs pleaded with Hurd to do whatever it took to set things right with the board so that Hurd could return. Jobs even offered to write a letter to HP’s directors and to call them up one by one."

Of course, Jobs's motives in talking to Hurd and attempting to smooth the ruffled feathers of HP's board wasn't entirely personal. Jobs believed that a healthy HP was "essential to a healthy Silicon Valley," with HP essentially standing as the founding company of California's technology hotbed. Of course, Jobs was not able to bring Hurd and HP's board back together, and in with as HP's new chief executive. How different things would have been under Hurd is hard to say, but it's all but certain that and .

mf.gif

a2t.imgwBXDgTLgKHg

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Tanni
      My Lg TV which has the smart functions and magic remote is playing up. 
      I often use web browser or you tube or similar apps to watch videos etc. 
      Recently however, it keeps crashing and displays a message to the effect that the memory in the app is low or it need to close to free up more memory? 
      My TV is less then 2 years old and is doing this. I love the telly and the smart features especially the web browser function, however this recent issue is making me think about the longevity of such LG smart TVs and whether I should've spent a few hundred more and got another telly. 

Please can someone advise what I can do to fix this as it takes away the whole point of smart TV. 
      Thanks 
    • By News Reporter
      For a responsible corporate citizen, running a global business means not only providing quality products and services to customers worldwide, but also making a positive social impact around the planet. With an enduring vision to better customers’ lives, LG strives to pursue sustainable innovation in all areas of its diverse business operations.
      As the pressing problems of our environment and society accelerate with the changing times, corporations’ sustainable strategies must evolve accordingly. Recognizing this, LG has unveiled its
      link hidden, please login to view to achieve greater social impact.
      LG’s newly revealed sustainable vision aligns perfectly with the phrase, Better Life for All. While LG has consistently shown its commitment to providing a better lifestyle for customers through its innovative products and services, the catchphrase signifies yet another step forward for the company. Henceforth, LG is expanding the scope of its sustainable practices to not only create a better life for its customers, but for the environment, employees, suppliers and for one and all who call this planet home.
      With regard to sustainability, Better Life for All outlines LG’s new focus on creating a regenerative environment for the better well-being of all lives by establishing a circular economy – a term describing a production and consumption model that minimizes waste and the extraction of new resources.
      The company is ultimately moving on from aiming to do less environmental harm within the traditional linear economy – a system where materials are processed into products and then thrown away after use – to creating an altogether new business process that promotes the recirculation of finite resources. With the new initiative, LG is redirecting more of its environmental efforts to retrieving and recycling used products.

Better Life for All also embodies LG’s commitment to realizing a more inclusive and diverse society by embracing differences, and by forming close-knit circles of alliance with company employees, corporate partners and stakeholders.
      While LG has always endeavored to work closely with partners in its pursuit of sustainability, the company is further establishing guidelines to better collaborate with supply chain partners, nurture a more embracive corporate culture and introduce products that are accessible to all.
      The company’s efforts in ongoing business practice involve C-Level executives’ leadership and collaboration with corporate partners and other entities which share LG’s goal of Better Life for All.

As with its vision, the company’s specific sustainability goals and plans for implementing related practices have constantly evolved over the years. In 2021, LG established a comprehensive framework for its sustainable practices. Key initiatives were re-established and categorized according to a new ESG structure, and corporate ESG communication guidelines were instituted for the first time.
      This year, LG has further refined its far-reaching program of ESG initiatives in the recently announced ‘BETTER LIFE PLAN 2030.’ With ‘BETTER LIFE PLAN 2030’, LG is pursuing about a range of initiatives under the broad categories of ‘Environment’ and ‘Society’.
      Stay tuned to Beyond News for the next story, which will look at how LG is fostering a greener and cleaner environment through the first three ESG Initiatives. You can find the 2021-2022 LG Electronics ESG STORY BOOK and FACT BOOK .
      # # #

• By News Reporter
      (From left to right) Yimenu Weldeyes Adefris, technical support assistant with the LGEME Gulf SVC Team and
      Ryu Kwang-jin, Master of LGEME Tech Support & Training Team
      As a young boy growing up in Ethiopia, Yimenu Weldeyes Adefris always knew he wanted a career in technology. But with fierce competition and limited local opportunities to gain the required skills and knowledge, it seemed highly likely that he may never get the chance.

LG-KOICA Hope TVET College, located in the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa, was co-founded by LG Electronics and the Korean International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) to help give passionate and capable young Ethiopians, like Yimenu, the tools needed to succeed in the tech industry. A graduate of the school, Yimenu now works as a full-time technical support assistant with LG Electronics Middle East (LGEME).

Not only was he top of his class at LG-KOICA Hope TVET College for three consecutive years, Yimenu was also recognized by the school’s faculty as an “excellent student.” After completing his studies in 2018, he worked for two years as an intern at LGEME, earning selection to his current role of technical support assistant in 2020.
      “I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to attend LG-KOICA Hope TVET College and for the ongoing career opportunities and professional growth I’ve enjoyed since joining LG,” he remarked. “I thank the college and the company for helping to make my childhood dream a reality.”

“I applied to LG-KOICA Hope TVET College at my mother’s recommendation,” he continued. “At first, studying was very difficult because there was so much to take in and I was also working part-time,” he added. “But, the guidance I received from the instructors and advisors there really helped me to push through, giving me the confidence and the foundation of knowledge I needed to succeed professionally.”
      In addition to offering vocational training covering the repair and servicing of various electronics products, including home appliances, the college also offers comprehensive courses in information and communication technologies. Graduates of LG-KOICA have earned a reputation for being workforce-ready and for being innovative thinkers: a sought-after trait that LG actively fosters in all of its employees – and students – worldwide.

Although he learned much from and admired all of his instructors at the school, Yimenu formed a special bond with LG master technician, Ryu Kwang-jin. “Mr. Ryu definitely increased my passion for and understanding of technology and continues to be a role model and mentor for me,” Yimenu noted. “It’s because of him that I strive every day to become a better technician. One day, I hope to become a master technician, just like Mr. Ryu.”
      Yimenu gives much of the credit for being the top performer in his class to Ryu. Inspired by his mentor, he spent much of his time outside the classroom applying his growing skill-base at home. The budding technician dismantled (and put back together) the family TV, doing the same with his mother’s mobile phone and various other devices around the house. Seeing the young man’s enthusiasm and aptitude for technology, Ryu recommended Yimenu take advanced courses to help him accelerate and expand his competencies. Today, having learned how to repair practically every LG home appliance and B2B product, he is currently in charge of technical support for 12 countries, including the UAE, Bahrain and Qatar.

To further his understanding of LG’s latest technical services and support processes, Yimenu recently traveled to South Korea to visit the company’s home base. There, he was reunited with his teacher and mentor.
      “He is full of passion for technology,” said Ryu, recalling Yimenu as a shy but spirited student. “I wanted to help him fulfill his enormous potential and make his dreams come true. I believe he can become a great LG master technician. I am very proud to have taught him, but even more so to see his continued growth, both professionally and personally.”

For Ethiopian youngsters who dream of following in his footsteps and carving out a successful career in their chosen field, Yimenu has some advice of his own to impart: “Keep challenging yourselves to become better people, pursue your dreams and listen to those with the experience and wisdom to help guide you. When you work hard and believe, anything is possible.”
      # # #

• By News Reporter
      Company Continues to Perform Well in Highly Competitive Sector,
      Securing Orders Worth KRW 8 Trillion in the First Half of 2022

SEOUL, July 5, 2022 — LG Electronics (LG) continues to establish its position as a major force in the electric vehicle (EV) component solutions business, confirming it has secured orders valued at KRW 8 trillion in the first half of 2022 to deliver its in-vehicle experience to diverse global automakers.
      Expanding cooperation with major global car manufacturers including Mercedes-Benz AG, Groupe Renault and General Motors and supplying its P-OLED IVI systems to clients’ electric vehicles, LG is seeking to augment its comprehensive portfolio.
      LG’s EV component solutions business is rapidly growing based on its three core businesses sector: the LG Vehicle component Solutions (VS) Company, ZKW Group and LG Magna e-Powertrain.
      Acquired by LG in 2018, ZKW Group boasts market-leading vehicle headlamp technology, and a global clientele that includes BMW, Mercedes-Benz AG, Audi and Porsche. Meanwhile, LG Magna e-Powertrain is expanding its worldwide production base, adding a third manufacturing facility (Ramos Arizpe, Coahuila, Mexico) to its existing factories in Incheon, South Korea and Nanjing, China. Construction has already begun on the 25,000-square meter site, which is projected to open in 2023 and is slated to produce key components, such as motors and inverters, for General Motors’ next-generation of EVs.
      In the first half of this year, the value of orders for LG’s advanced EV component solutions surpassed the total accumulated value of all orders on hand as of 2021 (KRW 60 trillion) by a mark of 13 percent. The company expects that the accumulated orders placed with its EV components business by the end of 2022 will exceed KRW 65 trillion in value.
      Given the decrease in vehicle production due to the shortage of automotive semiconductors and other ongoing global supply issues, the performance is encouraging as the consolidated sales for LG’s EV component solutions business increased up to 24 percent compared to last year, reaching KRW 6.7 trillion.
      Based on a report from market research firm Strategy Analytics published in April 2022, LG is estimated to be already leading the global telematics market, boasting a 22.7 percent market share as of the first quarter of 2022 and recording a double-digit market share in the audio, video and navigation (AVN) market since last year.
      “Leveraging the advanced core technologies and the strong partnership with the global manufacturers, we will continue to provide differentiated value to our auto-industry customers,” said Eun Seok-hyun, president of the LG VS Company.
      # # #

• By Vincent Valot
      Hello,
      We are a company developing streaming apps for our customers. As-to enhance developer / tester / any other teams experience into LG universe, and be able to quickly test any environments we have (dev / staging / production), we'd like to be able to install apps that aren't removed after Developer Mode expires, or aren't visible/listed to the public store.
      We looked upon the idea to extend Developer Mode session with a Crontab with specific accounts for each TV, but some TVs are stopping the Developer Mode when being powered down, so it doesn't seem the most industrialised idea.
      Let me know what we can do to answer that issue !
      Thanks !