Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Sign in to follow this  
NewsDummy

PreCentral: HP considering sale of underperforming units

HP considering sale of underperforming units

As with any struggling company, HP's looking at ways to streamline their business and raise some cash in the process. Late last month HP send a 10-K filing to the US Securities and Exchange Commission that the company will "continue to evaluate the potential disposition of assets and businesses that may no longer help us meet our objectives."

In plain talk: if you're a part of HP but aren't helping out the bottom line as much as HP would like, you might not be part of HP for much longer. Of course, the ideal method for getting rid of those not-helping-HP units is for HP to sell them. You know, stop losing money by making money.

This isn't the first time HP's looked at selling parts of the company. In fact, a lot of HP's problems over the past year can be traced back to efforts to dispense with large parts of the company. It was the plan of then CEO Leo Apotheker and still-Chairman Ray Lane to split HP into two distinctly separate companies, with one focusing on enterprise software and the other built around the declining PC business. That plan kicked off a firestorm in Palo Alto and Wall Street, ending with the ouster of Apotheker. HP also tried and failed to find a buyer for webOS and/or the webOS Global Business Unit at a favorable price, eventually opting instead to commit webOS to open source and spin off the GBU as a standalone company.

Or at least, that was the plan months ago. Gram, that standalone company, has yet to launch, and since HP's decision to open source webOS a year ago the mobile landscape has dramatically changed. Could HP be weighing giving a sale of webOS and it's GBU another go? Not likely, considering how much they've invested in spinning off Gram so far, but… crazier things have happened.

mf.gif
emailthis2.gif bookmark.gif

a2.imga2t.imguZY58rcCQlw

View the full article

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Forum Topics

• Question: App submission process

Hi all,   We are about to submit an app to the Web OS TV store. The process seems to be quiet straightforward however I have some trouble understanding the actual submission process.    - What happens after a successful submission. is my app published automatically or do I have to publish it myself. If it is published automatically am I able to stop it from going live? We want to submit our app for review but publish it at a later date to coincide with our PR campaign.    Best Wishes, Gideon van Dijk  

By gideonvd, in LG webOS Smart TV Questions

• Awaiting best answer
      • 0 votes
      • 0 answers
    • [pivotCE] Putting a Touchstone in My Car: A Walk Through My Process

I finally put a touchstone in my car. For those counting at home (minus my almost two year departure from webOS to Android), it took me 3 years to work up the chutzpah to try the install. But I did it. What took me so long? I’m glad you asked. Why now? You’ve seen it done a lot I’m sure. And so have I. But something always bothered me about the installs I’d seen. There were too many wires, the Touchstone was glued or stuck onto the dash using adhesive, and I always thought using the cigarette lighter (12V socket), or worse, a 3-prong power inverter was ugly (and kinda lazy). What kept me from installing one in my car was that I told myself if I was ever going to do it, it had to follow 3 rules: 1. No wires! It had to be clean.
      2. It had to be modular. I might want to sell the car but keep the Touchstone set-up.
      3. It must be powered from the car’s battery or fuse box. The problem was, I didn’t know where to begin. The research I knew adding power to the car was possible from stuff I’d read online. But everyone made it look so simple and I’m a car-wiring n00b. So I did what every online-savvy I-want-to-learn-something-new person does, YouTube. This video will teach you the fundamentals of installing an Add-A-Fuse or Expandable Circuit as it’s called in the video. The other important thing to know in all of this is how to splice cables. With my time as a musician and tech hobbyist, splicing cables is pretty standard stuff. I did have to read up on splicing the USB cable that I wanted to use to ensure I could hide the cable. Google was my friend. What I used to do it The parts I ordered: Bussmann BP/HHH ATM Add-A-Fuse Hardwire Barewire Power Micro USB Cable StarTech.com 0.5m 1m M/M Micro USB Cable Cord 5 Pack 5 Amp Automotive Mini Blade Fuse (I actually got these from AutoZone, link for example only) SCOSCHE IUH3R Mobile Grip-IT Swivel Mount Kit (the item here now looks a little different than it did when I bought it) The tools I used: Solder/Soldering Iron Wire cutter/stripper Ratchet set Heat shrink Trouble spots I ordered the Add-A-Fuse twice. I also ordered the Hardwire Barewire twice. Why? Because I never truly had it all grounded properly to begin with and I thought my parts were broken. I ordered new parts. And unsurprisingly, those didn’t work either. Until I tried a different spot for the ground that followed the instructions for bare metal in the video. Tada! Power. I originally used electrical tape, the crimp joint that comes on the Add-A-Fuse, and left the ground wire bare. These are all areas that are recipes for disaster in a vibrating car. To overcome those areas, I opted to solder each splice and add heat shrink over it. I even coated the bare ground wire in solder to get a better connection behind the bare metal bolt. Getting the USB cable through the holder was a pain. I tried carving with a knife, using a small dremel cutting wheel, and then finally opted to melt my way in there with the soldering iron. Don’t judge me. It worked. Super quick summary on how I got power Cut USB ends off Barewire and USB angled cable, soldered and heat shrinked together Stripped loose wire end of Barewire back, snipped off crimp connector and stripped Add-A-Fuse wire back, soldered and heat shrinked positive leads (red wires) together Added solder to ground wire from Barewire and secured it to the bare metal bolt Found a switchable fuse port in the fuse box of my car and bare metal bolt for ground Popped out the fuse, installed that fuse into the Add-A-Fuse, installed a 5 amp fuse into the second port of the Add-A-Fuse and plugged it into the port in my fuse box Plugged the USB cable into my touchstone and started my car. IT’S ALIVE! Photo Gallery Each photo has my notes as well. Enjoy. Talk about it! #webosforever

View the full article from pivotCE

By pivotCE, in pivotCE News

• 0 replies
    • PreCentral: Mobile Nations Fitness Month final winners announcement!

Fitness Month is over here at Mobile Nations for another year. Health and fitness should be a year-round commitment, and it's never too late to start so if you missed out during February be sure to check back through the blogs and forums for content you may have missed. Hopefully you found some apps or tips to help you meet your fitness goals, or maybe even found some moral support in the community to help keep you motivated. All throughout the month each site was giving away prizes for participation. We announced some winners mid-month, and below are the final results from the remaining contests from across Mobile Nations. If you were participating in the forums or on the blog contests, be sure to look below and see if you're a winner! read more

View the full article

By NewsDummy, in webOS News

• 0 replies
    • PreCentral: ZEN & TECH 53: Fitness month balance special

Georgia and Rene finish up Mobile Nations Fitness Month by talking about balance. Exercise, nutrition, and sleep are great, but how do you fit them into your hectic work, school, and family life? Find out!
      type="audio/mpeg"> Subscribe via RSS: Audio | Video Subscribe via iTunes: Audio | Video Download Directly: Audio | Video read more

View the full article

By NewsDummy, in webOS News

• 0 replies
      • 0 replies