Quantcast

PreCentral: Phoenix's Open webOS-on-Android project gets past the lock screen

News Reporter

Phoenix's Open webOS-on-Android project gets past the lock screen

While upstart

link hidden, please login to view
hopes to someday put out their own hardware running our favored mobile operating system (we'll give you one guess as to what that operating system is), in the meantime they're focusing on a more-attainable project: , without having to make modifications to the Android device itself.

Where the is working on as a separate operating system, Phoenix wants to run Open webOS on top of Android, giving users the option to run both operating systems simultaneously instead of booting into one or the other. There are advantages to both approaches, so we're happy to have the potential for choices to be offered.

Several weeks ago we brought you the first look at what Phoneix was cooking up, showing off webOS opening as an app on Android. There was a problem, though: they couldn't get past the lockscreen, and attempting to do so crashed the OS/app. So at that point in mid-October, it was more of a proof-of-concept and work-in-progress than anything else. Fast-forward to today and the Phoenix team has made progress, as shown in the video after the break.

Not only can they now get past the lock screen, but webOS actually runs on their test Samsung Nexus S. It's not perfect - there's still a lot of work to be done - as the stuttering and sluggishness driven by the lack of working hardware acceleration shows, but it's progress. Phoenix says that the project is still in "pre-alpha" status; like the WebOS Ports port, it has to be launched via Terminal commands, though eventually Phoenix does plan to implement a launcher icon for the Android side of things. Phoenix has also borrowed some elements from the open source work of the WebOS Ports team, including .

Phoenix right now is entirely volunteer-driven, and as always they're looking for people willing to contribute their skills. Specifically, they're in need of people experienced with working on the Linux Kernel and operating system (), Android itself, and the GNU toolchain. If you're so inclined, go ahead and hit up the source link below.

mf.gif

a2t.img0VR1GosPZZU

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Devaraj
      Whenever I debug the application with VSCode extention with latest version of WebOS_CLI, always devtools.html has been opened..., why? Even I edit the URL is also not working (devtools.html to inspect.html)
      URL: link hidden, please login to view
      Please help me, how to I rectify it.

• By hjetschko
      Hi, I have a feature request for the sound out setting. I often connect my Bluetooth headphones to the TV. We don't use the internal speaker of the TV, we use the optical sound out setting whenever I don't use Bluetooth. It would make our lives a lot easier if the TV can remember the last sound out setting before connecting to Bluetooth and default back to this setting when the Bluetooth device gets disconnected. At the moment, each time I disconnect the headphones I have to go back into settings and change the sound out setting from internal speaker to optical again. 
      Thanks and regards
      Hubert
    • By LG user1
      I can't open settings on my LG B9 55" either from the remote (results in black screen) or from menu system (same). Also, when I click on any streaming app, nothing happens although the buttons on the remote otherwise work. I would like to try a factory reset, but can't do this without accessing the system menu. If you know how to factory reset without the menu or otherwise know a fix, please let me know!
    • By tim p
      I have two LG C2 tv's both running OS 03.21.30. Attempts to update the OS state that this is the current version as of 12/2022.  Amazon Music won't open on either of them, the splash screen appears and that's it, for hours.  It opens fine on other devices in the house, Sony TV, PC's, and droid phones. Other streaming apps work fine with no buffering or glitches.
      The solutions offered online list instructions for clearing app caches using a series of menus that aren't even remotely close to the menus available on these TV's.  I've checked every available menu and there's absolutely nothing offering the ability to clear app caches. App Manager offers exactly two options: Launch or Delete. Others insist that you need to clear the cache from within the app but of course the app won't open so that's a dead end.  I did clear the browser cache but it had no effect this AMZN Music problem.
      So far I've also:
      Deleted and re-installed the app multiple times; Left the TV's unplugged 24+ hours; Full reboot of the router multiple times; Factory Reset of the TV's. If anyone has a solution that doesn't involve buying a fire stick I'm very interested - thanks
      (edit) one of these tv's is five feet from the router.  Distance isn't the issue.
    • By News Reporter
      Receiving Certification for ISO/IEC DIS 18974 Compliance, Company
      Aims to Strengthen Competitiveness of Its Software-Based Businesses

SEOUL, April 28, 2023 — LG Electronics (LG) recently earned industry-first recognition for its software supply chain security management system, receiving ISO/IEC DIS 18974 certification – the international standard for open source software (OSS) security management systems established by the Linux Foundation’s OpenChain Project. Comprised of a global network of companies, the OpenChain Project is a voluntary consultative body focused on building trust in the OSS supply chain.
      LG’s software supply chain security management system meets over thirty of the requirements stipulated by the OpenChain Project, including the establishment of internal policies related to OSS security, the periodic updating of security policies and the use of various tools for software security testing.
      The first global manufacturer to obtain the ISO/IEC DIS 18974 certification, LG continues to demonstrate its advanced capabilities and a strong commitment to responding to security vulnerabilities in the software supply chain.
      As part of the company’s strategy to upgrade its business portfolio, the company is accelerating its advancement into non-hardware business areas, such as platforms, solutions as well as content and services, by leveraging its accumulated software capabilities and expertise in diverse segments including home appliances, TVs, electric vehicle components and B2B solutions. Additionally, by securing global competitiveness in terms of OSS supply chain security and stability, LG expects to further strengthen overall business competitiveness.
      With the heavy reliance on software systems in today’s business environment, the importance of OSS security cannot be overstated. According to the
      link hidden, please login to view released by global security company, Synopsys, about 81 percent of OSS used in software development has security vulnerabilities. OSS is distributed with its source code, making it publicly available for use, modification and distribution by anyone at any time. It can reduce the time and cost of software development and is advantageous in terms of ecosystem expansion, leading to its wide use across service and platform development.
      In 2019, LG became the first Korean company to conform to ISO/IEC 5230, the International Standard for open source license compliance. In 2014, the company developed the OSS management tool ‘FOSSLight’ (Free and Open Source Software Light), which has been available to external developers, contributing to the revitalization of the global OSS ecosystem since 2021.
      “LG will further enhance its capabilities for security for products and services by continuously upgrading its open source software security management system,” said Park In-sung, head of the Software Center at LG Electronics.
      For those interested in learning more about the OpenChain Project, please visit the .
      # # #