Quantcast

PreCentral: HP warns investors to expect a rocky 2013; stock tanks

News Reporter

HP, profit, stock

Maybe it's a good thing

link hidden, please login to view
, as the parent company is gearing up for a year that even has pessimistic analysts and investors caught off guard. HP today issued guidance for fiscal year 2013, expecting profits to come it at $3.40-$3.60 a share, which is well under the $4.16 average guesstimate given by the analysts that cover HP. Normally those analysts aren't far off, but a miss this big is cause for alarm - as indicated by the nearly 13% drop in HP's share price today.

The drop in earnings is expect to be a "broad-based profit decline", i.e. HP expects a drop in profit across their entire business ( in particular is expecting the coming year to have revenues lowered by 13% and profits at next to nothing). In a weird statement, according to Business Insider, HP CEO Meg Whitman told investors that the company will be "more contained" in 2013. Whatever that means. By 2016, HP expects their revenues "to be growing in line with gross domestic product" with profits growing faster than that, thanks to "industry-leading margins and disciplined capital allocation." In other words, HP wants to operate on a fiscal sense more like Apple (high margin, low cost), though for that to happen they'll have to continue to make significant changes to the way they do business, starting by making all of their products more desirable.

mf.gif

a2t.imgLrTi3q3Sao8

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Alex
      Trusted Reviews wrote an article that is a good read about what to expect ate CES 2015:
      One expectation is...

Google also announced at the time that it had reached agreements with Sony, Sharp, and Philips to include Android TV in their 2015 HDTV ranges. As such, we're expecting to see a whole bunch of top end TV sets running on Android TV at CES 2015.
      Don't expect Samsung and LG to join the Android TV party just yet though. Both Korean manufacturers are keen to push their own platforms. With Samsung known to be looking to reduce its reliance on Google, LG last year introduced its new webOS TV platform, the undoubted leader of the current group.
    • By richie007bond
      Any word if LG will update their 2013 range to webos, my la690v is screaming out for webos, gets me mad my tv seems obsolete less than a year after I bought it, give your customers the choice to upgrade, hell I wouldn't mind paying a fee for the update to webos but something tells me my shiny fairly new tv stuck in limbo.
    • By News Reporter
      ** TICKET UPDATE **
      We have maxed out our RSVP limit for today. Please come back to the site tomorrow at 12 Noon ET and we will be releasing a second wave of tickets. They're going fast, so if you missed out today be there tomorrow at 12 Noon ET. Can't wait to see you in NYC!
      Mobile Nations, iMore, and the entire network have just and while that's exciting, this might just be even more exciting -- we're throwing a giant launch party in New York City on Thursday June 6 and we want you to be there!
      This is it, Mobile Nations, it's meet up time! I'll be there along with Georgia, as well as Kevin, Phil, Daniel, Marcus and a bunch of other Mobile Nations luminaries, and our special guests Cali Lewis and John P of , and we want to see you there!
      will be supplying the music, and we'll be supplying an open bar (meaning this one's 21-and-up), snacks, and all the fun you can handle! Tickets are free, of course, but there is one catch...
      They're going to go fast. Super fast. So fast that if you want to come, you really need to RSVP now as in NOW! Seriously, you don't want to miss this!
      Not in the NYC area but still want to attend?
      If you're not in NYC, we have a contest happening right now where you and a guest can win a trip for two to NYC to attend the event. All you have to do is jump over to and enter your email address to sign up for updates. That's it. We need to get the winner booked this weekend, so the deadline for the contest is this Friday night at Midnight PT.

• By News Reporter
      Come June 3, we're changing the smartphone conversation
      Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Mobile Nations is proud to present
      link hidden, please login to view! Yes, the almighty #tm13 finally gets a name. And a few faces. And, more important, a voice. Several voices, in fact. Actually, millions of voices. Our voices. Your voices. We're going to do this together. Talk Mobile has been a long time coming, and for good reason. Just watch the trailer above, this post'll still be here when you're done.
      Born out of the old Smartphone Round Robin, in which we'd borrow each other's smartphones and write about our experiences, Talk Mobile expands on the principle that there's so much more beyond any one phone or tablet -- or beyond any one platform, for that matter. And so for the next several months, we're going to change the conversation a bit. You'll be hearing from the fine folks at our sister sites , , and . You'll be hearing from our peers, our colleagues, and other industry experts. 
      And, yes. We'll be hearing from you. Come next week -- June 3, actually -- when we roll out the first of the weekly discussions, you'll be as much a part of the conversation as we are. We've built a new commenting system for Talk Mobile that will span all of our sites and promote and recognize the best comments, so your voice will be heard across the entire Mobile Nations network.
      So stay tuned. Next week, it begins. Point your browser to any of our four sister sites for posts each day for great conversation on the things in mobile that really matter. Hint: it's not specs.
      And we're kicking things off with a launch party in New York City, open to the public, on June 6. Be sure to swing by to sign up, as we're giving away one trip to the Big Apple to hang with us for the night. (If you've already signed up, you're good to go.) And be sure to follow . And we've got a fancy if that's your thing.
      Let's get the conversation started!