Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Sign in to follow this  
NewsDummy

PreCentral: The webOS Wish List: Gmail labels support

The webOS Wish List: Gmail labels support

There are two things that really make Gmail Gmail: threaded conversations and labels. For the uninitiated, Gmail's labels are the result of a rethink of folders, instead of filing a message away in one folder, you can attach multiple labels (tags) to an email and have it appear under each of those labels, while still hanging out in your inbox or archive or even the trash. While some might loath threaded emails, it's hard to hate on labels.

Except that nobody seems to have been able to pull off a good implementation of Gmail labels in any mobile email client. Amusingly, Google even has separate apps for Android for regular email and Gmail, as if they couldn't figure out how to make emails that support folders and emails that support labels happily coexist. Nobody else seemed to have taken the plunge into full and proper Gmail support, to the point where we just started to assume that Google was holding back the secret sauce for themselves.

It turns out we were wrong. Google's sauce isn't so secret and there is in fact a Gmail Labels API. It was just recently implemented on a new iPhone email client called Sparrow (which while looking like a very nice suffers from the fundamental flaw of not being able to run in the background - Apple's Palm OS-style multitasking bites again!). With webOS going all open source, why not stop treating Gmail like it's just some other mail service and give it the special treatment it deserves.

For those that use Gmail as more than just another mail provider, labels are fundamental. The IMAP implementation of Gmail tries to mimic labels as folders, and it's just not good. It works, but it's not good. With an available API, splicing labels support into the webOS email app is actually a possibility. Of course, how that's displayed is another question - we'd argue for just adding a labels button to the row at the bottom of the message view and maybe putting small colored label tags in the list view. But that's it - the rest of the "treat it like folders" implementation would still work just fine.

Yeah, we're Gmail junkies here. We've gotta have our labels, man! Have your own thoughts on this webOS Wish List entry? Of course you do - the comments await. Without a doubt you have your own ideas as to what ought be on the webOS wish list, and so we've created a forum thread just for that - and an awesome discussion it has proven to be.

mf.gif
emailthis2.gif bookmark.gif

a2.imga2t.imgZjJgay8bE7M

View the full article

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Forum Topics

• channel guide sync between multiple TV's

I have 3 LG TV's in the house. Would be nice to have apps, channel list, etc. sync between the TV's such that it's a seamless operation between them.

By al_wilson, in LG webOS Wish List

• 0 replies
    • Question: DirecTV RVU "This Location not Authorized" message on LG DirecTV Ready TV

I have a LG OLED65C6P TV which is a listed as a DirecTV 4k Ready TV. It currently has SW File Version 05.30.02 and the DirecTV Ready app version 2.2.14. My home network is wired for full Gigabit and I will used a wired connection over wireless whenever possible. I have DirecTV with a Genie Gen 2 (HR44-700).  The DirecTV app on the LG OLED65C6P was activated last February and everything was working without any problems until recently.  Everything is hooked up using DirecTV's "official" setup for RVU client viewing using DECAs where required. About 3 weeks ago, the TV started displaying the message "This location is not authorized" after attempting to connect to the Genie receiver.  The only thing that changed is that DirecTV updated my Genie with Software 0x80d.    It seems that I am not the only person experiencing this problem.  I was hoping that someone over here at LG's support community may be able provide some help. There are posts by people on the AT&T Community Forums on this issue.  Here is a link to that thread...
      https://forums.att.com/t5/Watching-DIRECTV/quot-Location-not-Authorized-quot-error-message-on-LG-OLED-with/td-p/5248047 There are some posts by people on the DBSTalk Forums on this issue as well.  Here is a link to that thread...
      https://www.dbstalk.com/community/index.php?threads/0x80d-rvu-issues.225230/ Does LG need to update the DirecTV (RVU) app on my TV?  Do they need to update the LG webOS software or does the TV Firmware need an update? If so, how long will this take?  How do I get LG to do this?  

By adutchman, in LG webOS Smart TV App Questions

• Awaiting best answer

• 1 vote
      • 5 answers
    • Question: HDMI 1 pop up message

Why do I constantly keep getting a box appearing on the screen warning that HDMI port one is disconnected, I have a HUMAX HDR‑1100S connected to this port which when turned off keeps displaying this message box, tv is LG OLED55E7N WEBOS 3.5

By fynotfi, in LG webOS Smart TV Questions

• Awaiting best answer
      • 0 votes
      • 8 answers
    • Question: Showing folder JPGs ?

Hi, I just got a Synology 918+ NAS. I'm trying various options to show all my movies on TV shows on it. Basically, I'd like to have the old-style Windows Media Server  interface, e.g.. I have all my films sorted carefully in different folders and would like to navigate using these folders. Simp0lified example:
      Movies folder
        Folder.jpg (indicating movies)
        Comedy folder
          Folder.jpg (indicating Comedy)
          Comedy Movie 1.avi 
          Comedy Movie 1.jpg  
          Comedy Movie 2.avi 
          Comedy Movie 2.jpg     Action folder
          Folder.jpg (indicating action)
          Action Movie 1.avi 
          Action Movie 1.jpg  
          Action Movie 2.avi 
          Action Movie 2.jpg   I have the latest WebOS installed. When I try to use the built-in video-photos DLNA player it doesn't show the folder.jpg for each folder, the folders just have a generic icon. Then the film icons (e.g. "action movie 1.jpg") are truncated at the top & bottom,with  pretty poor quality. But at least I can navigate by folder. My next try  was to use Plex. It shows each films icon beautifully and some info from the internet (nice to have, but I don't really need). But it doesn't show the folder icons, in fact it doesn't show folders at all, everything seems to be lumped into one big pile. I tried various profiles in the Synology DSM Media Server for the TVs. Can anyone recommend some media server that behaves like to old Windows Media Server? Seems Kodi isn't running on WebOS.      

By pmugghc, in LG webOS Smart TV Questions

• Awaiting best answer

• 0 votes
      • 7 answers
    • Question: LG TV 32LH604v model keepgetting message “this app now close free up memory”

I keep getting the message “This app will now close restart to free up more memory” i have tried deleting some apps on it, I also deleted some of my saved programs on my external hard drive! I tried turning it on and off after each of these processes any ideas it’s driving me crazy am unwell just want to snuggle in front tv and watch favourite programs on my favourite apps! please, please help!

By DuchessLoula, in LG webOS Smart TV Questions

• Awaiting best answer

• 3 votes
      • 3 answers