Quantcast

Add proper AV1 and 7.1 audio support, please

When playing files using the built-in media player on the LG C1, webOS 6, the support for AV1 and any kind of 7.1 audio is really lackluster:

In particular, when playing AV1 videos encoded using aomenc (the official AOM encoder) with the setting --enable-keyframe-filtering=2, there is a 10-15 second video freeze when starting playback and when seeking. The audio plays immediately from the moment where the video will eventually un-freeze and sync up. This encoder settings does universally mess with seeking, to some extent, particularly limiting seeking to each keyframe/GOP, but to mess up playback THAT much is not seen in any other mobile, desktop, or TV media player. This seriously needs fixing.

And another similarly atrocious flaw of the player, is that files with 7.1 audio do not play at all. I do not have a surround system, but it is expected that surround audio files are downmixed to your current audio setup, which does happen with 5.1 audio, but for whatever reason, if there is any 7.1 track in the file - it simply will not play. Which, again, is a behavior I have not seen on any other TV media player.
Lastly, PGS subtitle format is not supported by the media player, and such subtitles will not show up in the list. Which again just seems like laziness, though it's not as major of an issue.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

if anyone maybe knows a idea to resolve this, please share, thanx..

in Turkey.. oled55c1 media player can not play english audio track in the m2ts movie file from usb.. it will sound funny but, it seems like WebOs or its built-in Media Player is against english.. : (( it plays the m2TS audio track within the file with russian, spanish or italian but wierdly not english.. ¿¿?? when you go to audio tracks list setting there are no language titles.. the list only shows "song languages" or something like that.. and under that menu there are listings as 1, 2, 3..   it should list language audio tracks formally as it should be..            1: English   2: Russian   3: Spanish    or whatever listed in the file..   this is not only one-file problem.. As far as I know this issue exists in every 2021 and 2022 LG oled smartTVs WEBOS models and built-in media players for every m2TS file movies... 

if anyone would ask; for these movie files on PC windows OS there's no problem at all.. english audio track is there.. and plus; Samsung plays this file with english audio track without any problems.. : ((((

what about installing mpc-hc on WebOs? would that resolve this issue ? possible someday ?

hope this issue will be resolved with updates soon..

oha, your problem is most likely that the english track is using a lossless codec like TrueHD or the DTS equivalent. These are proprietary paid codecs and LG did not pay to have them supported on the C1 media player. You would have to transcode that audio track to FLAC or a lossy codec (for example Opus) for it to work. It's a very burdensome workaround, but that is the reality - LG doesn't care.

And if you ever have a 7.1 surround track, you have to convert it to 5.1 or stereo for the file to play at all. Although that is not the problem you're experiencing right now.