Quantcast

Add proper AV1 and 7.1 audio support, please

When playing files using the built-in media player on the LG C1, webOS 6, the support for AV1 and any kind of 7.1 audio is really lackluster:

In particular, when playing AV1 videos encoded using aomenc (the official AOM encoder) with the setting --enable-keyframe-filtering=2, there is a 10-15 second video freeze when starting playback and when seeking. The audio plays immediately from the moment where the video will eventually un-freeze and sync up. This encoder settings does universally mess with seeking, to some extent, particularly limiting seeking to each keyframe/GOP, but to mess up playback THAT much is not seen in any other mobile, desktop, or TV media player. This seriously needs fixing.

And another similarly atrocious flaw of the player, is that files with 7.1 audio do not play at all. I do not have a surround system, but it is expected that surround audio files are downmixed to your current audio setup, which does happen with 5.1 audio, but for whatever reason, if there is any 7.1 track in the file - it simply will not play. Which, again, is a behavior I have not seen on any other TV media player.
Lastly, PGS subtitle format is not supported by the media player, and such subtitles will not show up in the list. Which again just seems like laziness, though it's not as major of an issue.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

if anyone maybe knows a idea to resolve this, please share, thanx..

in Turkey.. oled55c1 media player can not play english audio track in the m2ts movie file from usb.. it will sound funny but, it seems like WebOs or its built-in Media Player is against english.. : (( it plays the m2TS audio track within the file with russian, spanish or italian but wierdly not english.. ¿¿?? when you go to audio tracks list setting there are no language titles.. the list only shows "song languages" or something like that.. and under that menu there are listings as 1, 2, 3..   it should list language audio tracks formally as it should be..            1: English   2: Russian   3: Spanish    or whatever listed in the file..   this is not only one-file problem.. As far as I know this issue exists in every 2021 and 2022 LG oled smartTVs WEBOS models and built-in media players for every m2TS file movies... 

if anyone would ask; for these movie files on PC windows OS there's no problem at all.. english audio track is there.. and plus; Samsung plays this file with english audio track without any problems.. : ((((

what about installing mpc-hc on WebOs? would that resolve this issue ? possible someday ?

hope this issue will be resolved with updates soon..

oha, your problem is most likely that the english track is using a lossless codec like TrueHD or the DTS equivalent. These are proprietary paid codecs and LG did not pay to have them supported on the C1 media player. You would have to transcode that audio track to FLAC or a lossy codec (for example Opus) for it to work. It's a very burdensome workaround, but that is the reality - LG doesn't care.

And if you ever have a 7.1 surround track, you have to convert it to 5.1 or stereo for the file to play at all. Although that is not the problem you're experiencing right now.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By herebedragons69
      I purchased an LG 86" UT8050 4K UHD LED Smart TV (2024) from JBHIFI in Australia. The TV was wall-mounted and set up by a local installer. I discovered that my TV has Chromecast built-in. I tried casting music from Roon, but Chrome immediately crashed and the TV shutdown. I tried again and the audio was distorted. I shut down and tried again and the audio stuttered. I tried Chromecasting with Qobuz and Plex and got the same result on audio playing out to my Yamaha RX-V6A and the TV speakers. I then tried to play audio from the Plex App in the LG WebOS. That played fine, without any distortion.
      Thinking this might have been a result of a hurried setup (the installer did this job "on the run" I reset the TV to factory defaults and set it up again. Everything went smoothly. But the problem with Chromecast persists. First time launching Chromecast the app crashed and the TV shutdown. 2nd try I got distorted audio to the receiver and to the TV speakers. Audio and Video are fine on all other apps. I can see no other faults.
      I've been Googling this and not seeing much info other than a few threads where people are saying that the LG built-in Chromecast feature does not work. I saw that one person returned his TV and the replacement had the same issue with built-in Chromecast. Most discussions on this issue are hijacked by people using a Chromecast streamer or dongle as opposed to the built-in Chromecast. They often talk about turning off this or that specific Chromecast setting, settings that are not accessible with a TV with built in Chromecast
      In the WebOs when I look at connected source devices Chromecast is there with a "Chromecast Settings" option. The settings have only one option and that is opt-in on sending crash data to Google. Apparently, Google is not monitoring the issue very closely.
      I listen to mostly Hi-Res audio. I wonder if the issue is caused by the bitrate of 24-bit Hi Res flac files. I did notice that when I cast audio that was CD quality (16-bit), the distortion did not occur. This is weird though because in the past I have been able to cast 24-bit audio to Chromecast-enabled devices without any problems.
      My TV says my firmware is up to date. I did not see a prompt to install a firmware update during setup. I've set software and app updates to be automatic.
      Appreciate any help or even a "Hey, it's not just you, this is a known issue, I've got this problem too".

• By u84six
      I haven't searched this forum, but there has to be others who find that tv remote pointer to be extremely annoying. I'm actually surprised that we still can't turn that feature off. Having the cursor/pointer feature isn't even close to the importance of being able to shut off. I mean, how hard is to put one checkbox in the ui to toggle the feature on or off? It seems like a no-brainer, big bang for the buck change that many users would appreciate
    • By DW1
      Hello,

I recently purchased an LG C2 65" with WebOS and I find that sometimes I want to use multiview picture-in-picture to play a video game from an HDMI input, then watch youtube in a small window. It would be nice if I could also listen to the game audio along with the youtube audio. I am thinking it would be enough to have both audio sources combined and I could adjust the volume from the HDMI device. Ideally, it would have its own mixer to set the volumes of each but that is not needed initially. Also, I wish there were move options for moving the screen around. I really like how Firefox has their picture-in-picture mode where you can move it around the screen so dynamically and change the size by dragging the window. It is nice that it can be moved around the screen, and made smaller. And probably good to have those as default movements but maybe have an option to unlock full moving of the screen.
    • By Ajothen
      I wish a nice screesaver with timing settings and types. 
    • By MaheshD
      What is the latest LG web os support for TV model 49UJ752T-TB. Currently in this model of my LG tv showing 3.9.2, also neither I am not getting automatic updates not manual. Because of this certain apps are not available to my smart tv. Some of these apps are sony liv, jio, tata binge etc. 
      I req to plz help me how I can update lg web os for my TV model and which is the latest supported currently.