Quantcast

Unlocking hardware gamut, is it possible?

Hale

Question

I have an old LG55UB8500. It is 4K, but not HDR itself. If I am not mistaken, top models were HDR capable.

Anyway, recently I tried checking it with X-rite calibrator, and discovered that the RGB colorant points have EXACTLY the sRGB CIE values, which is actually an amazing thing. Most PC monitors have significant deviations from sRGB or any other colorants, even between the panel revisions. I guess, that is because the panel gamut is software-restricted in order to conform the standard exactly, ensuring the correct multimedia representation, and separating it from HDR market.

But since I use it generally with PC, and have a calibrator, there is a question. Is it possible to remove the sRGB restriction, and use the full range of the panel primaries?

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Low Grade
      hi, 
      i just need to listen to the audio of certain Youtube videos so is it possible to turn off the screen ?.............this is possible for Live TV though............😀
    • By News Reporter
      LG remains steadfast in its commitment to actively nurture ideas with the potential to fuel the company’s future growth. By fostering a corporate culture that not only encourages challenges but also embraces failures as stepping stones to success, LG aims to embody the principles that have been at the heart of CEO William Cho’s leadership philosophy since his tenure began. CEO Cho consistently champions the ‘Brave Optimist’ mindset, inspiring everyone to boldly undertake challenges and relentlessly innovate, anchored in the belief that the customer is always the key to unlocking solutions.

A prime embodiment of this ethos is ‘STUDIO341,’ an initiative launched by LG last year. This program is designed to identify and cultivate in-house ventures that encapsulate the spirit of challenge and innovation, a mindset that has been instrumental in propelling LG from its humble beginnings as Goldstar in 1958 to its current status as a global leader in home appliances. The ‘341’ in ‘STUDIO341’ serves as a poignant reminder for LG’s ‘Brave Optimists’ to stay true to the company’s roots, symbolizing the original street address of Goldstar in Busan, Korea’s second-largest city.
      The initiative welcomed anyone with a creative idea that can solve a problem worth solving and provide a new experience to customers. The response was impressive, with over 100 internal submissions received.

In the previous year, LG shortlisted the top thirteen ideas – one more than the originally intended twelve – which were further narrowed down to six during an internal IR event. This process involved evaluating the ideas based on their potential to provide unique customer experiences. The selection criteria encompassed business value, feasibility, potential impact and team capabilities.
      The chosen teams were relocated to an external office to be able to fully immerse themselves in developing their in-house venture ideas. By March 2024, the top six teams had the opportunity to present their business proposals at the ‘STUDIO341 Demo Day’ in Seoul, in front of LG executives and potential investors.

After thorough deliberation, the top five teams selected for spinoff were unveiled: ‘MASKIT,’ a mobile ticketing and admission service for performing arts that removes the necessity for queuing; ‘FreshGo,’ an original cold chain transportation solution that leverages individual refrigeration technology; ‘Cucumber,’ a platform focused on local food pickup services; ‘Found Objet,’ a digital transaction platform for recycled plastic materials; and ‘X-UP,’ a solution for diagnosing and maintaining golf courses using robots and heat mapping technology.

Meanwhile, LG partnered with Bluepoint, a partnership-driven Korean startup accelerator, to leverage their ability to objectively assess the teams’ capabilities and provide more effective support. This approach has helped streamline the whole process to a year, with six months for selection and six months for development. During the process, each team will receive a joint investment from LG and Bluepoint up to a maximum of KRW 400 million.

In parallel, LG is intensifying its collaboration with global startups, as exemplified by its partnership with Amwell, a U.S. telemedicine company, to provide remote medical treatment solutions across North America. The company also aims to evaluate the viability of services in prevention, diagnosis, post-management and recovery, among others.
      LG NOVA, LG’s North America Center for Innovation, launched its “Mission For the Future” by presenting the Eureka Park showcase at CES 2024 in Las Vegas. It also leveraged its influence to introduce startups operating in the digital healthcare field, such as XR Health, Mindset Medical and C.Light Technologies.
      Stay tuned to
      link hidden, please login to view to see how else the company is revolutionizing the customer experience for all. # # #

• By News Reporter
      With digital transformation (DX) powered by the cloud, Internet of Things (IoT), artificial intelligence (AI) and big data now on the minds of many, more and more businesses have been going through ‘digitalization’ to stay ahead of the game – or not be left behind. For automotive companies, this could not be more vital to their evolution.

The cars of tomorrow will be controlled by high-performance computing, system on chips and software platforms, which means carmakers will have to start spending more time and money on analysis, design, development, verification and maintenance. To carry out these processes in the most efficient way, firms require a powerful strategy that goes beyond the capabilities of analog methods. This is where DX comes in to change the way we handle data.
      Let’s examine a few of the countless ways DX is ready to shape future mobility.
      DX of Automotive Parts Development Process

As a major provider of vehicle components, LG is integrating DX into its development process in an effort to improve product quality and accelerate growth. From last year, LG’s researchers even started planning an AI validation platform developed with Altair, a U.S. company that has specialized in information technology based on software and cloud solutions for simulation, computing and AI technologies since 1985. This platform standardizes data measured at certain times and uses AI technology to clearly visualizes results.
      Through this platform, LG can develop enhanced reliable automotive parts by predicting the performance of every stage of development. In addition, the platform can automate performance validation and systematically manage the vast amount of simulation data generated during the development process to speed up development. For example, if a customer requests a new requirement, engineers can access the AI platform to virtually predict performance and give several options for them to choose from.
      Data accumulated during verification are continuously learned to hone prediction accuracy. This data can then be applied to various processes from planning and mass production to the improvement of each product’s quality and performance.
      DX of Global Premium Automakers

So, how are global automakers applying DX in development? A leading North American electric vehicle (EV) company has been applying over-the-air (OTA) to all its vehicles since 2014, which has allowed it to gradually accumulate data from the road and on the performance of components and batteries.
      All of this is possible thanks to a vast amount of collected data that gives carmakers the ability to quickly and accurately learn how to change battery combinations, integrate parts and remove unnecessary specifications. As vehicles can be developed more efficiently and necessary resources can be continuously reduced, the use of vehicle data has become essential across the sector.
      DX More Important for Contactless Car Management Services

DX isn’t limited to the early stages of development. With the expansion of contact-free services in sales, management and after-sales service, another aspect of DX is emerging. A prime example of this is the ability to compare care quotes, reserve maintenance and make payments all at once via a smartphone app. Comparing price, quality and options as well as searching for reviews are also being done online, so consumers only need to look online when deciding which car to buy. With the rise in contact-free services since the pandemic changed the world in 2020, digitalization is expected to accelerate across industries.

Automakers and suppliers are leveraging DX to achieve greater efficiency and reduce costs. As more people use cars and more data becomes available, digitalization has the potential to increase the size of the pie for various stakeholders, including car manufacturers and service providers.
      With DX paving the way forward in the automotive space, make sure to watch this space and be the first to discover the immense features and power of the cars on the horizon.
      # # #

link hidden, please login to view
    • By PoeyYong Wong
      I would like to play MP4 video file from my NAS, is this possible from LG Smart TV? I tried on the TV and did not see how I could do this, I also did not see any App that could help me in this area.

My LG TV is connected to my home network so has direct access to my NAS.
    • By paulp
      Is it possible to install IPTV apps on webos 6 or indeed sideload apps ? Any help will be appreciated