Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Sign in to follow this  
NewsDummy

PreCentral: HP Q1 2012 earnings down 38% from last year

HPThe past year has been a tumultuous one for HP, and though things are starting to settle down in Palo Alto, the company's Q1 2012 earnings report doesn't bode well. HP brought in $30 billion of revenue (down 7% from the same quarter last year), from which they netted a profit of $1.5 billion (down a staggering 38%). The computer-producing Personal Systems Group (which also previously built webOS devices) saw a 15% decline in revenue, with desktops and notebooks dropping 18% and 18%. Imaging and Printing also isn't looking good, with a 15% drop for HP's typically reliable revenue and profit center.

It's brutal, but at least HP managed to bring in some profit and meet their own projections, and they're taking steps to do better going forward. Said CEO Meg Whitman, "We are taking the necessary steps to improve execution, increase effectiveness and capitalize on emerging opportunities to reassert HP's technology leadership." How webOS will factor into that strategy, well, even Whitman admits that will take years to play out.

Press release and full financial statement is after the break.

read more

mf.gif
emailthis2.gif bookmark.gif

a2.imga2t.imgYgvXFxuWw_8

View the full article

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Forum Topics

• Network connection issues. LG Content store doesn't connect.

I did a refresh of my LG TV 3 days ago. Sold the old LG 47" 3D LED TV and bought new 55" LG Super UltraHD TV with WebOS. I believe, the biggest con of this new TV is WebOS. Its totally frustrating. Sorry for WebOS fans. It isn't that smart and functional they way it looks. The problem I having since 3 days and being a network engineer, I am unable to solve a network issue myself which is even more frustrating for me. Ok, let me explain the issue. The TV when installed was connected to LAN cable to my router which has direct internet connection. The TV works and none of the apps were working. Basically TV wasn't able to connect to internet via apps. If i open web browser, it was working fine with all webpages showing correctly. I'll skip the part of contacting LG support which was useless. All troubleshooting steps like resetting, formatting, changing time zone, location, region was done but no luck. Finally I connected the TV via mobile hotspot and it just worked which gave me the clue that some ports are being blocked by my ISP or router. My internet setup is this way. Internet cable from ISP -> ISP Modem (can do NAT and work as router) - WiFi Router (NAT, DHCP, etc) -> all LAN clients. I put my LG TV in DMZ, opened all ports, etc but no luck. Then I converted my ISP modem as router and connected the LG TV directly to it and it started working..!!! My WiFi Router is TP-Link Archer C7 and I was using stock firmware. Thought it was creating issues and I installed DD-WRT, Open-WRT but no luck at all. The apps which were installed in TV when TV was connected directly to modem are still working fine. Youtube, Plex, Netflix, etc all are working but when I open LG Content Store, it just refuses to load. I am not sure what wrong my TP-Link router is doing. There is something wrong with the LG TV content store. If it requires to open ports, then I would like to know which ones. Sorry for the long port, may be my frustration of 3 days with no luck.!!  

By akhil7j, in LG webOS Smart TV Discussion

• 3 replies
    • Amazon App doesn't render in HDR

While the OLED c7p WebOS app for Netflix will render in HDR (Dolby Vision), the tagged content from the Amazon Prime app will only render in 1080p without HDR.  Amazon says that the Bosch series should stream in SUHD + HDR.  Is there something I need to set somewhere specific to Amazon on WebOS?

By dwsteele41, in LG webOS Smart TV Discussion

• 1 reply
    • The Webos keyboard on Deezer doesn't have &

Yesterday i tried to connect on Deezer and sadly i am not be able to enter my password (and i don't want to change it just for a TV) Is there any way that it can be fixed ? beacuse in the youtube app it was there, but not on the Deezer app, so maybe i should contact the app maker directly?    

By Lkdesu, in LG webOS Smart TV Discussion

• 1 reply
    • [pivotCE]Open Source webOS now brought to you by LG

Yo! We heard you like open sourced webOS so LG open sourced the open source of webOS! Ok, so that’s not entirely accurate since LG purchased the closed source webOS code from HP after they open sourced…well…bits and pieces of it back in 2012. So no, you’re not stuck in a Doctor Strange time loop. webOS has been open sourced before but not by LG.  This news comes as a shock to the current legacy webOS community still rocking Pre 3s and waiting for LuneOS to reach “driver” status.  The community hasn’t poured through the code as of yet but it immediately begs certain questions: Will the work on LuneOS be helped or hindered by additional LG open source code which LG had already been committing too for some time (though they have missed some of their promised bits for a while)? What hardware limitations are there for use of the software? Still looking for that webOS toaster… How flexible (read: portable) is it? How complete is it?  HP’s open source webOS was decidedly incomplete… We’ll keep you updated on the developments on this as they become available.  For now, the conversation has started on the forums so feel free to chime in. #webOSforever Related posts: Enyo Team Open Sources Mochi UI, Feels like webOS 3.1 Open webOS Running on a WiFi Router Open Letter to LG #1 View the full article

By pivotCE, in pivotCE News

• 0 replies
    • Question: apps doesn't work plss help

guys help me may lg smart tv 43uf7700  apps doesn't work it said  'a secure connection(ssl) cannot be made this may occur when the time set on your tv is different from the current time.....  but i already set the time and date.. what should i do plss help!!!

By Roberto Jr Lopez Tiomico, in LG webOS Smart TV Questions

• Awaiting best answer
      • 0 votes
      • 1 answer