Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Sign in to follow this  
NewsDummy

PreCentral: HP Q1 2012 earnings down 38% from last year

HPThe past year has been a tumultuous one for HP, and though things are starting to settle down in Palo Alto, the company's Q1 2012 earnings report doesn't bode well. HP brought in $30 billion of revenue (down 7% from the same quarter last year), from which they netted a profit of $1.5 billion (down a staggering 38%). The computer-producing Personal Systems Group (which also previously built webOS devices) saw a 15% decline in revenue, with desktops and notebooks dropping 18% and 18%. Imaging and Printing also isn't looking good, with a 15% drop for HP's typically reliable revenue and profit center.

It's brutal, but at least HP managed to bring in some profit and meet their own projections, and they're taking steps to do better going forward. Said CEO Meg Whitman, "We are taking the necessary steps to improve execution, increase effectiveness and capitalize on emerging opportunities to reassert HP's technology leadership." How webOS will factor into that strategy, well, even Whitman admits that will take years to play out.

Press release and full financial statement is after the break.

read more

mf.gif
emailthis2.gif bookmark.gif

a2.imga2t.imgYgvXFxuWw_8

View the full article

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Forum Topics

• [pivotCE]Open Source webOS now brought to you by LG

Yo! We heard you like open sourced webOS so LG open sourced the open source of webOS! Ok, so that’s not entirely accurate since LG purchased the closed source webOS code from HP after they open sourced…well…bits and pieces of it back in 2012. So no, you’re not stuck in a Doctor Strange time loop. webOS has been open sourced before but not by LG.  This news comes as a shock to the current legacy webOS community still rocking Pre 3s and waiting for LuneOS to reach “driver” status.  The community hasn’t poured through the code as of yet but it immediately begs certain questions: Will the work on LuneOS be helped or hindered by additional LG open source code which LG had already been committing too for some time (though they have missed some of their promised bits for a while)? What hardware limitations are there for use of the software? Still looking for that webOS toaster… How flexible (read: portable) is it? How complete is it?  HP’s open source webOS was decidedly incomplete… We’ll keep you updated on the developments on this as they become available.  For now, the conversation has started on the forums so feel free to chime in. #webOSforever Related posts: Enyo Team Open Sources Mochi UI, Feels like webOS 3.1 Open webOS Running on a WiFi Router Open Letter to LG #1 View the full article

in pivotCE News

• Question: screen mirroring doesnt work

Hi people I have lg lf 6500 smart 3d tv The screen mirroring worked just once since i bought the tv then no way to make it working

in LG webOS Smart TV Questions

• LG 43LH570V missing main things!!!

So then...i buy a smart tv and when i arrive at home i realise it is not smart tv...it misses web browser,can't connect keyboard with touchpad...so annoying pls add support software for keyboard and a web browser...it could be any browser...if u wanna keep clients then u should add browser to all the ,,smart tv,,-s because without it it's only a normal tv with built-in wifi

in LG webOS Wish List

• [pivotCE]Report: Bethesda Meetup

The traffic sucked all the way there but NDrive on Marc’s Pre3 got us there all the same. It took us through the city instead of around and it was a busy Saturday night so traffic was really bad. Pi Pizza was delicious as always. In the picture is Marc, then Gary, then Atif and I took the photo. I took the photo with my Yotaphone 2 mostly to show up the EPD screen and how it winks at you when it takes a picture but also to catalog the attendees. Gary wanted to know all of our Palm stories. Marc’s was the shortest with only coming over to webOS and the Veer. Gary’s and Atif’s were a bit more storied and mine I think is known at least to our readers. Marc passed around the Windsornot and a TS2. I passed around my 64GB Go and Palm branded Veer (which I was “driving” that day). The Windsornot was of course a highlight and a low point. Atif captured the mood well in his forum post. Marc sells a ton of Veers. He has quite the collection of Veer parts. He brought 4, “seen better days” Veers and gave them away as party gifts. Nice guy. Gary drove from New Jersey. Atif came from New York. Marc flew to visit me from Chicago and I planned the meetup since he was going to be here. That started the whole idea anyway. Related posts: webOS meetup, Bethesda, Maryland, November 5th St. Louis webOS Meetup Recap Chicago WebOS Meetup September 28th, 2014 View the full article

in pivotCE News

• Automate starting specific app with Harmony remote?

Has anyone worked out a way to use a Harmony remote to automate starting a specific app? I'd like to automate an activity to start the smart share DLNA client on the TV to watch videos I have stored on my PC. Is there some "favorites" customizable list I could use to make it possible for a series of remote codes to always get to the app the same way every time? 

in LG webOS Smart TV Discussion