Quantcast

[ON THE JOB] WHEN DESIGN GOES BEYOND JUST PRODUCTS

In this episode of On the Job, we take a look at the pivotal role played by the LG’s unsung brand and packaging designers.

Product-Designers-01.png

In the consumer electronics industry, the term “design” usually conjures up images of gadgets and devices on a drawing board. Although the way a product looks is without a doubt a key factor to its popularity, so too are the way it’s packaged and branded. Done well, these two elements can go a long way toward creating a unique, instantly recognizable identity, one that resonates with consumers and communicates the core values of a product or lineup and the company that made them.

At LG, the responsibilities of brand and package design fall on the visual identity (VI) team at LG Corporate Design Center. When designing a logo or package for a new model or product range, the VI team considers a range of factors such as consumers’ needs, legibility and usability, never losing sight of their goal to establish a clear identity that creates a good first impression but also an instant understanding of what the brand stands for.

Product-Designers-02-600x285.jpg

A distinctive logo is at the heart of any good brand’s visual identity. LG’s VI team develops a symbol that embodies the essence of every product and effectively communicates their differentiated values. LG SIGNATURE, LG PuriCare, LG CordZero, LG OLED TV and LG UltraGear are just a handful of the globally recognized logos the team has created to date.

Able to enhance a product’s appeal and reinforce its overall aesthetic, packaging design gives the VI team another way to express the identity of each LG brand, in addition to affording adequate protection for the company’s diverse offerings.

Product-Designers-03.png

LG UltraGearTM gaming monitors have made a name for themselves among serious gamers worldwide by providing great picture quality and performance. Seeking to match the monitors’ strong reputation with an equally dynamic symbol, LG introduced a new UltraGear logo in 2020.  In order to convey that LG UltraGear is a key “weapon in the quest for gaming victory and glory,” the VI team set about researching the legendary weapons of mythical heroes and gods, such as the shield of Isis, King Arthur’s Excalibur, and the Harpe of Perseus. The team ultimately drew inspiration from the famous Greek sculpture known as the Winged Victory of Samothrace – also known as the Nike of Samothrace – representing action and triumph.

Product-Designers-04.jpg

The winged motif seemed like the perfect choice for the UltraGear emblem due to the prevalence and significance of wings throughout gaming history. Wings symbolize many things: aerial superiority over opponents, fast travel to new destinations, tactical advantage by surveying from above. The final version of the logo depicts Nike’s wings in the form of a stylized U and G in two versions, one flat and the other in 3D.

Product-Designers-05.jpg
From left: Seo Young-seok, Jun A-reum, Nam A-ran

“Creating and developing LG UltraGear’s emblem was a meaningful and rewarding process,” stated Seo Young-seok of LG’s VI team. “We feel that it successfully expresses the identity of our premium gaming monitor brand and how seriously LG takes the needs of the gaming community.”

Product-Designers-06.jpg

To increase consumer awareness and raise the profile of the new emblem at launch, LG hosted an art contest to involve fans in the creative process because there is nothing more powerful than visually communicating the value of a product through great design to grab the attention of consumers in a crowded market.

# # #

link hidden, please login to view

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By tobiasm
      I registered this account literally because I am frustrated with you LG. I need you to change because I'm tired of buying other devices to replace features you have promised and not delivered.

I really want to use your OS and apps on my TV but you make it too hard. The user experience for navigation and writing is terrible. This has to improve or I won't use it. I will not spend my time on this when it's much easier on other systems, but I want to use your system. Please help me and your other customers.

On any device, it should be very easy to type
      * a password to connect the TV to a wireless network
      * search terms when browsing apps on the app store and in other search engines on the device

To be clear, I really tried to figure this out on my own before coming here but found it too difficult to give them another chance.  I used the onscreen keyboard and ThingQ app.

The first problem is extreme. Absolutely extreme. Using the onboard keyboard to write in the wifi password is a nightmare. I have secure passwords that are long and which combine upper and lower case characters and special characters. I will NOT lower my security in order to make it easier to use your keyboard. The problem is on your end so you fix this.

There's something in this for you too, LG: Letting us connect by WiFi is undoubtedly going to be the most preferred option for most users, regardless of how technical they are, and it is definitely the biggest barrier to your app store having any chance of success. You won't get users if people can't connect and download apps. 

Right now my options are
      * suffer through this user experience of using the onscreen keyboard
      * making my wifi password less secure
      * using the Apple TV instead

I'm going for the Apple TV instead, and I bet your customers are doing the same. It's time to look into why they do this.

The second problem is also really serious. Typing in any search word using the onscreen password is in fact also too painful. Using the ThinQ app with the cursor did not make things easier. I honestly don't know why you chose to put a cursor in this app instead of letting me navigate with buttons like on a TV remote controller but it's unpleasant. Very unpleasant. I don't think of my TV as a computer and neither should you. The cursor is an unwanted and poor choice for navigation on a TV screen. Stick to navigation keys: up, down, left, right. User test it and see for yourself. People will NOT prefer the cursor over navigation keys.

Again, this also impacts usage of your other services, so if you want people to use them you need to make this easier. Please.

Here's how you stack up right now to the competition. My alternative device right now is an Apple TV and it makes this much easier. I reckon a Roku and Chromecast do similar magic, at least I recall Chromecast being wonderful on an older Android 4 device I had years ago.

When setting up the Apple TV I can choose to connect to it with my smartphone immediately using their apps. I don't know if it's on bluetooth or something else but it's not wifi and it works well. Once connected I can use my keyboard on the smartphone to write input for the TV and connect it to my WiFi and search within apps for my favourite TV shows, movies and the list goes on. 

This makes it much easier to search and of course to paste in passwords from my phone to the TV. 
      In my case I have a password bank called Bitwarden. Other users probably have at least the built-in password managers from Apple and Google.

You want me to be able to do the same on your LG TV but the aforementioned reasons are why that's never going to happen. Never. Until you change this I will not give your OS another chance. 

Here's my recommendation:
      Similar to Apple you should have an app for setting up the TV that connects over bluetooth. WiFi is not an option. Remember that we want to use our phones to type in the WiFi password since it is easier and it will let us copy paste in passwords from our phones.

What options are there for this? I bet bluetooth is an option amongst others. Please figure this out. 

My biggest hope is that you will actually do some user research: Make prototypes and test them with real people. Ask them to try to use your apps and listen to their feedback.  Ask them if they can connect to WiFi, why not if they can't, and listen to what they say. 

User research is cheap and it works. Please do it. 
    • By Sajith Thiwanka
      When I paly a video either YouTube or USB, lasted played video show as a shadow on  either YouTube or USB mode screen.
      Re created steps 
      1.Video play from USB drive (1.jpg)
      2.Stop video from USB
      3. Open YouTube and paly video 
      4. Exit from YouTube  
        Actual output 
      Show as shadow last played video from USB
      Images attached (2.jpg , 2_1.jpg , 2_3.jpg)
      Expected output 
      Without any shadow  (last played ) show clear screen 
      TV Information: - 
      [LG] webOS TV UK6320PTE
      Software Version:- 05.30.15  

• By News Reporter
      Utilizing VUNO’s AI Algorithm, LG’s X-ray Acquisition Software
      Reduces Analysis Time by Detecting Abnormalities in Images

SEOUL, June 22, 2021 — LG Electronics (LG) today unveiled an improved X-ray acquisition software for the company’s Digital X-Ray Detector (DXD) line of medical imaging device products. The DXD software, developed in collaboration with , is LG’s first healthcare solution to utilize artificial intelligence. Paired with LG DXD, the advanced software provides a more convenient, more time-efficient way to generate and analyze X-ray images.
      Designed for large hospitals as well as private clinics*, LG’s DXD with X-ray acquisition software leverages advanced AI to help busy medical staff swiftly spot abnormalities in chest X-rays, reducing reading time by automatically flagging suspicious readings on the displayed image. Featuring VUNO’s clinically proven AI algorithm, LG DXD enables medical professionals to view original X-rays and AI-analyzed images at the same time, ideal for diagnosing pulmonary diseases such as tuberculosis, pneumonia or lung cancer. LG DXD can analyze X-rays for interstitial opacity, consolidation, pneumothorax, pleural effusion and nodule/mass then inform the medical provider of any abnormalities and provide an abnormality score with a colored heat map or contour that marks any lesions detected.
      LG is enhancing its range of high-quality medical solutions with the debut of a 14 x 17-inch wireless DXD with oxide panel that delivers high-resolution, low-dose images. The implementation of oxide and thicker cesium-iodide (CsI) scintillator and improved software means greater detective quantum efficiency (DQE) resulting in approximately 50 percent less radiation dosage. And with an IP68 rating, the new DXD is safe to use in dusty or wet conditions, while the eight hour battery life means easy portability and long usage times.
      “LG Digital X-Ray Detector is now even more powerful with the integration of VUNO’s AI technology,” said Jang Ik-hwan, senior vice president and head of the IT business unit of LG Electronics Business Solutions Company. “Our improved diagnostic tool will enable medical facilities to reduce incidences of misdiagnosis, provide faster analysis and assist healthcare professionals in detecting thoracic diseases early.”
      LG’s latest DXD medical solutions will be available starting in North America, followed by key markets in Europe and Asia.
      # # #
      * Relevant medical device certifications pending in relevant markets.

• By News Reporter
      In this fourth episode of AI Experience, we deep dive into how UX is evolving to better address users’ needs. Go to to learn even more from AI experts and leaders in various fields such as design, anthropology, policy, consumer and employee advocacy. Developers and potential partners are encouraged to explore the ThinQ Platform at to experience what’s possible with LG.
      From smart homes to virtual assistants to the first-ever image of a black hole, recent advances in AI are changing how we live and expanding our understanding of the universe around us. And we’ve only just scratched the surface.

But for AI to scale the heights we think it will ultimately be capable of, it is important that those developing the technology today get the user experience right. Delivering enjoyable experiences through human-centric design, especially in the arena of consumer AI products and services, will create the necessary buy-in and help fuel the technology’s growth enroute to achieving its full potential.

The term user experience refers to the overall experience a device, system or piece of software provides its user. The easier, more intuitive and pleasing the experience, the more likely it is that the user will recommend the technology in question to others, which typically drives popularity and increases uptake. For AI, as for many other products and services, convenience and efficiency are the cornerstones of a quality user experience.

“For AI to be consumable, for it to be usable, for it to be something that consumers can trust, design is actually the deal maker in that process,” said Sri Shivananda, senior vice president and CTO of PayPal. “Good design makes the product convenient and makes the customer want to engage more, come back more and be loyal to the product as well.”
      Let’s take a look at five components that are material to the construction and provision of a better AI user experience: feedback and articulation, intuitive design, purpose, presence and interface.

Feedback and Articulation
      To create more and better AI features and functionalities, both passive data collection and active user feedback are required. One of the most recognizable forms of active user feedback is the “like” button found on Facebook, Instagram and other social media platforms. AI algorithms record this data and use it to discern users’ preferences – and customize their feed accordingly – and to determine what is popular and trending across the platform and to help the platforms’ developers create new features that are relevant to their user base.

“I think AI will be used to help aggregate many different inputs that a human might make into a vehicle for mobility,” said David Foster, head of Lyft Transit, Bikes and Scooters, highlighting the value of AI in collecting and analyzing a variety of feedback. “Combine those with inputs that the vehicle itself is sensing around road conditions and traffic hazards, and then turn those into meaningful outputs that either give feedback to the humans through a different piece of output technology or direct the vehicle or another vehicle to take a different action.”
      Intuitive Design
      In basic terms, an intuitive design is one that is easy to use, where the method of control and operation seems obvious and completely natural to the vast majority of users. Integrating AI into products and services presents designers with a relatively new challenge, especially given AI’s unique ability to learn and adapt. Providing the space to do just that, while still delivering convenience to the user at all times, requires a fine balance. Yet, consumers have shown an understanding that AI applications need time to learn. This, to some extent, affords designers the opportunity to work towards more intuitive designs without the burden of having to attain perfection at the outset.

According to Alexandra Zafiroglu, deputy director at Australia’s 3A Institute (3AI), the solutions that we build “do not have to be perfect the first time that we put them out, but they have to be learning over time and providing value over time like a puppy.”
      Purpose

A clearly defined purpose is essential to the success and effectiveness of any human-centric, commercial AI solution. And that purpose must be based on an in-depth understanding of customers’ needs and of the context within which those needs have arisen. Additionally, the transparent communication of purpose can be beneficial in building trust between the manufacturer or provider and the end user.
      By clarifying intention and offering some insight into the design process (such as the time and consideration given to possible unintended consequences) and the measures put in place to prevent misuse, companies can show consumers their commitment to protecting their data security and to the ethical development of AI.

Presence
      AI can provide value through active user engagement, such as voice-activated virtual assistants, and through passive means, such as the automation of smart home systems. Deciding which is the appropriate mode of control or management for each available feature or function is the cornerstone of successful AI design. But for every decision that developers have to make, there must first be a thorough examination of the potential consequences of their choices.

This decision-making process is a part of the broader human-centric design conversation, which demands that the consumer is viewed and valued as a complete person, rather than merely a source of revenue or data. Respect for the user as an individual must be factored into every decision, whether it is concerning the user experience or the very foundation of the technology itself.
      Helena Leurent, director general of Consumers International, suggests that companies invite experts from different fields to share their knowledge and viewpoints, as this will help them to not only build successful AI systems, but to foster trust that any choices made are in the users’ best interests.

Interface
      The interface of an AI product or service acts as a bridge between artificial and human intelligence, allowing the one to communicate with the other. Unsurprisingly, consumers have thus far shown a preference for AI that feels more natural and instinctive to use and interact with.
      This is by no means an easy feat for designers to achieve and involves many questions that must be answered, such as, is it better to employ a touch screen or physical buttons? Should an avatar or human voice be used to give personality to the technology? Does virtual or augmented reality provide the best conditions for relating to and engaging with AI? And of course, knowing and understanding people’s preferences and needs is also a crucial part of the equation.
      Whatever design decisions are made, an interface should ultimately feel as natural as possible to as many users as possible and be suitable for use within a diverse range of scenarios. It should also be engineered with an eye on potential future integrations as AI continues to evolve and gain new capabilities.

Following human-centric design means better AI user experiences for everyone – from the consumers who use and benefit from the technology on a daily basis to the developers seeking to improve and expand on their creations and the technical support teams charged with remedying any issues that might emerge. With its ability to learn and adapt to the needs of the user, AI is already ushering in an era of unprecedented personalization and unique value. The continued refinement of the user experience will help attract more and more consumers to AI solutions and assist in securing the long-term growth of the technology itself.
      # # #

• By News Reporter
      LG Selected to Lead Next G Alliance’s Applications Working Group

SEOUL, June 15, 2021 – LG Electronics (LG) announces the election of Dr. Lee Ki-dong, principal research engineer at the Research and Standards Lab in LG USA, as chairperson of the Applications Working Group of the Next G Alliance until 2023, the industry initiative of the Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions (ATIS) to advance mobile technology leadership in 6G for the next decade and beyond in North America.
      Setting the stage for the eventual commercialization of 6G, the Next G Alliance, a collaboration of about 50 leading information and communications companies all working toward the common objective of advancing 6G technology, will influence and encompass the full lifecycle of research and development, manufacturing, standardization and market readiness. Within the Next G Alliance, the Applications Working Group is responsible for identification, assessment and steering the landscape of 6G technology use case scenarios, coordinating with other Next G Alliance groups to advance the 6G roadmap in North America.
      Spearheading LG’s leadership in the Next G Alliance is Dr. Lee, who has been actively involved for over 20 years in research and standardization of mobile and satellite communications systems in various organizations, including IEEE and 3GPP. He previously served as Vice Chairman at as 3GPP System Architecture Working Group 1 from 2015 to 2019 and extended his specialty to the automotive industry. Dr. Lee received his Ph.D. in Operations Research, Industrial and Systems Engineering from the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST).
      “The work of the Next G Alliance is paving the way for 6G, and the Applications Working Group will play a key role in defining the future of telecommunications,” said Dr. Lee. “LG has a long and storied history as a leader in the wireless technology space and it’s an honor to be able to represent LG in this important initiative.”
      As a pioneer in vehicle-to-everything (V2X) innovations, LG sees the importance of 6G for the future of mobility. A mobile system that transmits information at high speed via ultra-responsive, ultra-reliable and ultra-low latency connection is essential to the success of next-generation autonomous vehicles. Low latency is critical when cars are travelling at high speeds and communication from vehicle to vehicle, vehicle to infrastructure or vehicle to pedestrian through 6G can help prevent accidents for a safer driving experience.
      LG Electronics has been active in 6G research for some time, launching the LG-KAIST 6G Research Center in South Korea in 2019 as well as partnering with the Korea Research Institute of Standards and Science to study emerging 6G technologies. Earlier this year, LG and KAIST brought on board Keysight Technologies Inc., a global manufacturer of wireless telecommunication testing and measuring equipment, to take the collaboration to the next level.
      # # #