Quantcast

REINVENTING THE WASHING MACHINE

If necessity is the mother of invention, then innovation could be viewed as the father of the patent. As of the end of 2020, LG Electronics was one of the world’s top patent holders with more than 87,000 patents to its name, many of them related to steam technology found throughout the company’s lineup of premium household appliances. Two successful products that rely on steam for their effectiveness are LG Styler and LG TWINWash™, appliances that in themselves are the result of years of research, development and tinkering.

Washing-Machine-01-600x304.jpg

In fact, the Styler debuted in 2011, nine years after the idea of the steam-based wardrobe management product was given the green light to begin development. Without a patent system to protect the hundreds of thousands of hours and hundreds of millions of dollars invested to develop products like LG Styler, there would be little incentive for companies to innovate.

Washing-Machine-02-600x337.jpg

In fact, the Styler is a compilation of more than 180 LG patents covering features such as the Moving Hanger to shake bacteria and allergens* out of suits and dresses to the tune of 200 vibrations per minute and Gentle Dry to draw moisture out of clothes without shrinking or damaging delicate fabrics. The patented TrueSteam™ in conjunction with Pants Crease Care deliver wrinkle-free trousers with sharp creases, all without an ironing board.

Washing-Machine-03-600x400.jpg

While the innovation inherent to LG Styler launched a whole new category in home appliances, LG TWINWash was a game changer in its own way. The engineers and designers behind LG TWINWash took a look at a mature product that hadn’t seen much innovation in decades and got to work on solving the age-old problem. With TWINWash, not only can one launder a pair of pants and some socks without feeling guilty about wasting water and electricity, frazzled parents can wash heavily soiled baby clothes separately from adult clothes… simultaneously. One of the patented core technologies that made TWINWash possible is LG’s Direct Drive™, which could deliver more reliable, more effective and quicker results than competing technologies.

Washing-Machine-04.png

One of the many people responsible for LG’s innovation leadership is Dong-won Kim, Ph.D. Laboratory Leader of Living Appliance R&D Lab at LG who is responsible for over 1,000 patents during his 25 years as a researcher at LG. In 2019 he was honored with the Invention King of the Year Award by the Korean Intellectual Property Office.

Fundamentally, a home appliance should be able to minimize the effort needed to complete one or more household chores but it has to be convenient and easy to use as well,” Kim explained.” When developing a new product, it is essential to constantly ask oneself, ‘Is this bringing value to the customer?’ At LG, we believe this should be the basis for all good product design.”

Washing-Machine-05-600x338.jpg

Kim gets his ideas for his inventions from listening to LG customers and everyday people. “LG Styler came from a conversation I had with the wife of a colleague who told me she removed wrinkles from clothes by hanging them in a steam-filled bathroom,” Kim recalled. “The Styler takes this basic concept and expands on it with a combination of user-friendly design and a number of other unique technologies.”

“The idea for LG TWINWash came after a survey we conducted in 2007 in which 60 percent of the responders said that they wished their washing machines could wash separate loads at the same time,” Kim said. “I’m sure other washing machine makers had heard this complaint before but a two-drum washing machine is no simple matter, which may explain why TWINWash still has no equal even after six years.”

Like all of LG’s products, LG TWINWash and Styler are products based on innovation and creativity fueled by the need to make consumers’ lives more convenient. But innovating can be a laborious and expensive process and this is where the patent system can help drive technological advancement. For inventors like Kim Dong-won, the assurance that his intellectual property will be protected is incentive to keep creating and improving consumers’ lives.

# # #

* Certified by the British Allergy Foundation (BAF) for reducing 99.9 percent of house dust mite allergens and Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus bacteria. Certified as an asthma and allergy friendly® appliance by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA).

link hidden, please login to view

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By imadous
      Hi everyone, 
      I wish LG would consider updating their Codecs list or at least give us a way of installing this codecs in our TV manually. i know my TV is capable of playing a lot of stuff but i'm always stuck with "not supported" for most of the media i have. 
      One of the most wished stuff i'd love to see is 
      Added support for H.264 10bit (still very popular and used a lot) 
      as well as Opus codecs (its a Free codec and its getting a lot use recently especially with H.265 MKV videos) 
      Like i said, please add this codecs and more or at least give us a way of doing it ourselves. i know there might be legal issues and some codecs are payed, so just let us install it ourselves instead. 
      Thanks. 

• By News Reporter
      Unseen, unheralded and often underappreciated, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) solutions are the unsung heroes of modern life that provide physical comfort and fresh air in all kinds of environments. Working unobtrusively in the background, HVAC is what keeps our homes, offices, hospitals, hotels, shopping malls and every indoor setting imaginable blissfully cool in the summer and delightfully warm in the winter while delivering fresh and healthy air all year around.

For more than half a century, LG Electronics has been a leading innovator in the commercial HVAC solution space, supporting its customers to thrive and grow with its technologically advanced products. With an innovative product portfolio, solid R&D foundation and more than 50 educational academies around the world preparing highly skilled experts, LG has been strengthening its industrial leadership by offering a full range of optimal solutions for nearly every sector and setting imaginable.

To showcase the value it brings to businesses worldwide and to share its vision for a more sustainable future, LG recently produced a brand video entitled “Ahead of the Expected.” Set to a dynamic beat, the uplifting video introduces the audience to the outstanding value offered by LG HVAC solutions, highlighting how LG is empowering its customers by providing an unrivalled level of “Integration, Commitment and Expertise.”

The company’s integrated solutions leverage the latest technologies to deliver powerful performance and greater operational efficiency, ensuring a reduction in the total cost of ownership. LG’s commitment to its customers is also evident in the wealth of services it offers, from installation to system engineering to maintenance; all carried out by highly-skilled professionals. LG’s devotion to creating a sustainable future through environmentally responsible HVAC products is matched only by its drive and ability to maximize value for its clients today, and anticipate what they’ll need tomorrow.

Thanks to its considerable expertise and know-how, LG can meet the unique demands of every business, providing solutions that guarantee fresh, clean indoor air tailored to the specific requirements of each building or facility.
      Although they may be out of sight and mind, LG HVAC solutions are right there next to us every day, doing what they’ve always done – making our lives more comfortable whether we’re sleeping, eating, working, shopping or just relaxing and having fun.

Check out LG’s new “Ahead of the Expected” video .
      # # #

• By ironmonkey
      Just bought an LGLED-65UJ630 65INCH TV. Right away I started to get the message "This app will now restart to free up more memory". After searching the internet and forums, I now understand that this problem is huge, it has been going on for years now and it is right across many models of LG TV's.
      I have tried everything to fix this problem. It has the latest firmware. I did the factory reset and that lasted 4 hours before I got the message back. I turn off the TV and leave it for 10 minutes, maybe one hour later I get the message. I delete browsing history, maybe 10 minutes and I get the message..... you get the message.
      As I understand it, the problem is that LG TV's don't have enough internal memory, but they have shipped a ton of their "smart" TV's with this problem.
      My question is, has anybody heard anything from anybody, anywhere about a solution to this problem. I really want to keep this TV, but it is not fit for purpose in this state.     
    • By Marcelo
      I'm watching a movie (mkv) that has 10 built-in link hidden, please login to view, but webOs only shows 8 options and the one I want to select is the ninth option. My TV is LG 55 OLED B6. Is there a way to make this selection?  
    • By News Reporter
      With home still the place to be in early 2021, many consumers are investing in ways to make their living environments more comfortable, convenient, healthy and even a little bit more stylish. So much in fact that high-end home categories including premium household appliances, premium furniture and designer interiors are seeing across the board growth this year.

In a recent survey conducted by the Luxury Institute’s Global Luxury Expert Network (GLEN), 56 percent of respondents agreed that high-end home appliances will see a jump in sales throughout 2021, while 68 percent felt the same about the home furnishings market and 96 percent expressed confidence in the continuing growth of the health and wellness sector.1

With more time spent at home, consumers are fueling a boom in the home furnishings market as they find more time to curate their own living spaces. It might be argued that this trend is long overdue since who wouldn’t agree that homes should be designed by the people who are going to spend the most time in them? And premium furniture brands seem more than happy to embrace innovation while still adhering to their brand heritage and design identity.
      Pairing timeless beauty with exclusive technical and design innovations, Italian luxury furniture maker Molteni provides the customization options – and style – that discerning consumers demand. A great example of this is Molteni’s tailored wardrobe system which offers a range of material and design choices, including doors with 180-degree hinges, exposed aluminum frames inlaid with four-millimeter-thick crystals and handles made from pewter or clad in eco skin.2

Interior design can reflect current aesthetic trends and the technology as well as the individual tastes and lifestyles of a home’s occupants. Since the arrival of the pandemic, many people are choosing materials, fixtures and products for the home not only for reasons of lifestyle-fit, but because they create a more sanitary environment.
      Several brands including Kohler and Marazzi have introduced solutions for a healthier, more hygienic living space to meet growing consumer demand. Kohler introduced a collection of touchless and voice-activated kitchen faucets compatible with Alexa and Google and toilets with hands-free flushing, to reduce the chances of spreading germs.3 Italian tile manufacturer Marazzi introduced antibacterial Carácter tiles with antibacterial properties.

LG is also seeing strong interest in its luxury lifestyle products under the LG SIGNATURE brand. A perfect example is LG SIGNATURE Wine Cellar with InstaViewTM technology. With wine sales up during the pandemic, this might just be the perfect home furnishing for vino lovers to store different wine varieties in precisely-controlled, customizable climate zones for their viewing pleasure without opening the door – which would disturb the consistent temperature – with a simple knock.

LG SIGNATURE honors the essence of each product it makes, elevating both functionality and aesthetics with state-of-the-art technology and distinctive, minimalist design. Cue LG SIGNATURE OLED R, the world’s first rollable TV that movie lovers will want to choose over the cinema. The TV’s 65-inch flexible OLED display delivers supreme picture quality and creates new design possibilities and spatial freedom by disappearing from view when not in use. LG’s revolutionary TV offers three compelling modes – Full View, Line View and Zero View – where the amount of visible screen changes to suit the content or the situation.
      Empowered with advanced technology, stylish design, and hygiene-promoting features, the today’s luxury products represent innovation at its finest. The new wave of home-living solutions, like those from LG SIGNATURE, are making life infinitely more comfortable and elegant in the stay-at-home era.
      # # #
      1 , PR Newswire, Oct. 1, 2020.
      2 .
      3 , PR Newswire, Jan. 11, 2021.