Quantcast

MAKING A DIFFERENCE ONE LAUNDRY LOAD AT A TIME

Members of LG Greece and non-profit organization Ithaca with their van that holds two LG washers and dryers to help homeless individuals with their personal hygiene.

Homelessness is a serious issue that continues to exist in almost every society exasperated by the unique circumstances of 2020, rendering more people unable to provide shelter for themselves and their loved ones. Thankfully, there are organizations and individuals who selflessly dedicate their time, skills and resources to help. In Athens alone where 18,500 people are without a fixed abode, the Greece office of LG teamed up with a local not-for-profit to make a positive difference.

Ithaca's van contains two washing machines and dryers donated by LG,  where the homeless can visit and have their laundry done fast.

As part of its Life Is Good When You Participate platform which encompasses a broad range of community-focused initiatives, LG supports the good work of Ithaca, an Athens-based organization that assists homeless individuals maintain their personal hygiene. LG has supported Ithaca since its establishment in 2016, donating washing machines and dryers for the organization’s mobile laundry van.

Ithaca’s van contains two washing machines and two dryers that operate simultaneously with all water and electricity expenses covered by Ithaca’s corporate and private sponsors. Individuals in need of the service can simply bring their clothes to one of the van’s scheduled stops in the Attica and Piraeus areas then return to pick them up at a scheduled time. Carefully tending to the laundry and always ready to offer a friendly smile and words of comfort, Ithaca’s employees and community volunteers are warmly welcomed wherever they go.

The washers and dryers donated by LG Greece to the Multipurpose Homeless Center which shorten the time spent on doing laundry thanks to advanced features.

In December, LG Greece extended its homeless assistance program with a donation of five washers and five dryers to the Multipurpose Homeless Center of the Municipality of Athens. Created during the pandemic to afford protection to the city’s growing homeless population, the center can accommodate up to 150 residents and is expected to become a permanent shelter after the pandemic ends.

The advanced appliances with their efficient and reduced wash cycle times enable the center to provide all its guests with the physical and emotional benefits of hygienically-clean, fresh-looking clothes. Ithaca applauded the partnership of LG, noting that its involvement is a much-needed boost for the well-being of the homeless community.

A man from Ithaca using an LG washing machine donated by LG Greece.

“LG shares our vision and desire to assist the homeless and was the first company to put its hand up to help,” said Dimitra Kountourioti, Ithaca’s director of operations. “Thanks to its contribution we’ve managed to carry out important initiatives and reach more people in need. We are very happy for LG’s support and cooperation, which continues to enhance our efforts and the lives of those we strive to help.”

Dimitra Kountourioti, Ithaca’s director of operations, and Georgia Stavropoulou, senior marketing manager at LG Greece, pose for a photo in front of Ithaca's mobile laundry van.

“It is important that we in the corporate community participate in and give back to society,” said Georgia Stavropoulou, senior marketing manager at LG Greece. “We are proud to play our part and hope that our efforts will raise awareness of this important issue and inspire others to get involved.”

Members of Ithaca, who are making a big difference to those in need, pose next to their van that holds LG washers and dryers with the support of LG Greece.

With assistance from LG’s appliances, Ithaca has so far helped more than 6,400 individuals in need and washed approximately 83,000 kilograms of clothes over the course of some 16,000 wash cycles. Ithaca’s tireless work has also created two new jobs, both filled by Athenians who had previously benefited from Ithaca’s service.

Showing that a little help can make a big difference in the lives of those who are struggling, LG in Greece continues to support worthy causes and lend a hand when needed.

By LG Greece Staff

# # #

link hidden, please login to view

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic