Quantcast

HDMI-CEC (SIMPLINK) "Auto Power Sync" works only during configuration

Dear All,

I'm new here hoping to find a solution to my problem, after now trying around for almost two days without any result.

My set-up:
- LG OLED55C97LA OLED TV
- Nubert nuPro X-3000 (Pair of active speakers)

The active speakers are connected to the TV via HDMI-ARC on both sides. I'm aware that my configuration might be a bit unique, however I have the feeling that it is the TV / webOS which is messing arround with me.

After connecting my speakers to the HDMI-ARC, changing the TVs output to the HDMI 2 (ARC) is started the device configuration. I was glad, as typing in "Nubert" into the device selection of both "Home cinema system" or "Bluetooth / Soundbar", the webOS brought up a configuration to select.

During the "try-out" phase of the configuration process, turn on and off the power of the speakers works perfectly - even very fast! After configuration, sound comes through the speakers very well and I can adjust the volume. However, when I turn of the TV the speakers will remain on. Same vice versa when trying to turn everything on by only starting the TV.

Does anyone face a similar problem and might have a workaround for this? It is very frustrating and annoying, as it works perfectly in the configuration - but not later on.

Thanks for your help!

Sebastian 

@JetForce  You might want to check via the smartphone app, that the auto on/off setting is set to active, so it has some "Staying power" as the TV might not be able to control this setting. Also read the notes:

(seen under the ADVANCED section)
– auto power
The nuPro’s electronics have an automatic standby function that automatically
switches the loudspeaker into power-saving mode when
it is not needed - and also switches it back on again automatically. If
the menu item off is selected here, this is automatically deactivated.
Note: For more information on the stand-by automatic function, see
page 6 in the Design and Engineering section (you need to email the company to get this I think).

However, as the HDMI/ARC adaptor goes into the USB socket on the speaker, see this section:
"Auto-on function
The automatic switch-off/switch-on reacts differently depending
on the pre-selected input. If no signal is present at the analog signal
inputs, an automatic switch-off takes place within 20 minutes.
Switching on is reversed as soon as a music signal is detected. At
the other inputs, the activity of the connected source device is monitored
and therefore immediately switched off or on. At the inputs
Spdif, Optical, Port, AES the presence of the digital data stream is
evaluated, while at the USB input the presence of the USB supply
voltage is considered.
Note: Modern computers often have USB sockets with a voltage
applied even when the computer is switched off (e.g. for charging
a mobile phone). If you want to use the auto-on function of your
nuPro active loudspeakers in conjunction with the USB input, you
must select a USB connector that does not have continuous voltage."

Edited by td47
typo

@td47: Good morning, thanks for your input here. I checked already out that function before and the function Auto On / Off was always activated. It also works for all other inputs, besides for the "Port"-input. Apparently, here happens exactly what's quoted in the description you copied. The HDMI-ARC adapter seems to get always power from it's USB plug and therefore the Auto On / Off function of the speakers is not working.

However, this goes a bit in a different direction that I was heading to. In my setup, I don't want to rely on the Auto On / Off function of the speakers themselves- I wanted to use the "Magic Remote" and HDMI ARC abilities of my LG TV. There, I would have expected that the TV sends a "Turn Off"-signal via HDMI ARC to the speakers and tell them to shut down too. Same when turning on the TV. And what's still mysterious to me, that it does work during the configuration mode. I can turn on and off the speakers by pressing a button on the TV during the test out phase of the HDMI ARC configuration. However, after completing that configuration, the only function which functions is adjusting the speakers volume with the Magic Remote. Unfortunately, the synchronization of the Power (even with the function activated) remains unfunctional.

Looking forward to any other suggestion.

@JetForce This is an interesting (but complex) issue. I assume that the HDMI CEC channel control (like anynet turn on/off stuff) is done by the LG TV device configurator software/firmware, but it is odd that it only works during the setup and test phase, but fails during normal working. This would suggest that this is either a firmware bug at the TV end, or some complex incompatibility, where a CEC standard has not been fully adhered to on one side (TV or your speakers). My suggestion would be to raise a call ticket with your speaker manufacturer, giving them as much detail as possible, to see if they have any new firmware  in test that might fix your issue. Depending on what they say, you could then push the issue back to LG, with the extra "knowledge" gained from NUBERT, as it could still be an LG firmware bug.

In the meantime, you might want to review the 2 links here, so you can add to your case technically if you need to, and rebutt any BS that either side comes back with:

See this interesting article about ARC, eARC and sound compatibility:

link hidden, please login to view

If you need to get very deep into the inner workings of the HDMI Interface, this YouTube video is very good:

• 1 month later...

@td47 Thank you for your detailed answers and participation in that problem! For now, I contacted Nubert describing the problem. The really looked into it coming up with the fact, that it is probably a firmware bug in the WebOS. They also mentioned the Auto-On-Off function of the speakers themselves as you already did, and that it also necessary to have connected the HDMI cable to a socket which is not always powered. However, this is a different pair of shoes.

I now opened up a ticket LG support, hoping for them to really have a look into it. I also took a video describing my problem.

Let's see if it helps anything.