Quantcast

Different quality in webOS app vs HDMI input

Bdo Bdo

Question

Hi,

I use Plex Media Server to stream content around the house. I have noticed the following:

- Using the Plex app on my Roku 3 (connected via HDMI) and playing 1080p content (Roku 3 is a 1080p device) the picture is okay

- Using the Plex app on webOS (i.e. streaming directly to the TV), and playing the same 1080p content, the picture is noticeably better, crisper, as if the upscaling is working much better when streaming directly to the TV

Problem is, Plex app for webOS is not very good and results in buffering (where there is no buffering when playing exactly same files on Roku3). Both Roku 3 and the TV are connected via a wired Ethernet connection, with fixed IP addresses allocated.

Any idea why the picture quality is different? I would be very happy if I could get the same picture from the Roku 3 as I do from the TV Plex app.

2 answers to this question

Aplogies if you have already tried this, and I am not absolving the APP, BUT have you checked the the HDMI cable is a recent spec one (1.4A at least). If not, replace it with a better one, AND if the Roku is NOT using HDMI1 (usually the ARC one), try that as well. I had all sorts of weird issues when i first started using my smart LG TV, because of ONE down-spec cable.

Apologies again, I should have looked at the supported status of your ROKU 3 box. It came out in 2013, and is no longer being manufactured. It seems that: "Roku is Ending Support for Older Models"

link hidden, please login to view

ALSO NOTE the note for your model: *** Supports 60fps at 720p. Supports 30fps at 1080p. [max seems to be 1080p so some of your source might only be going out at 720p, that might not be upscaleable by your TV]

HOWEVER: your Roku 3 (which is their model 4200X, internal name Mustang) IS UPDATEABLE, so do go to  
Settings > System update > Check now    to see if you have the latest updates.

INFO FROM:

It is also worth ensuring that the LG TV PLEX app is fully up to date too, but note "the app version you see on the LG store is like a boot loader. Once it runs on your TV it downloads the latest updated version of the “actual” client direct from Plex. update servers". LATEST I SEE IS: Version : 4.15.0
Platform(s) : LG webOS (2+ UHD)