Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

dsbdsb

screensaver activating while watching some freeview channels on B8 oled

Question

I have an issue with my otherwise great oled.

if i watch certain freeview channels - such as now 90s, essentially any of the freeview channels which are delivered as streaming rather than over the air, the screensaver activates after a few minutes even though i am seeing a moving image and hearing sound. seems the tv thinks it's showing a static image rather than an internet delivered tv channel. does this happen with all lg oled televisions? - anyone care to turn on a channel such as now 90s to confirm:? - during the portion of the day when the channel is broadcasting over the air all is fine.

thanks in advance.

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

On 11/19/2019 at 9:58 AM, dsbdsb said:

I have an issue with my otherwise great oled.

if i watch certain freeview channels - such as now 90s, essentially any of the freeview channels which are delivered as streaming rather than over the air, the screensaver activates after a few minutes even though i am seeing a moving image and hearing sound. seems the tv thinks it's showing a static image rather than an internet delivered tv channel. does this happen with all lg oled televisions? - anyone care to turn on a channel such as now 90s to confirm:? - during the portion of the day when the channel is broadcasting over the air all is fine.

thanks in advance.

Hi, I'm also in the UK and experience the exact same issue with my E8. I've tried resetting the TV (unplugging it whilst holding the power button for 15 seconds) but it has no effect. I suspect this is a general issue across all LG TVs, at least up to the 2018 models.  I've tested for the issue on all the Freeview IPTV streaming channels and it always occurs.

I've posted about it on the UK AVForums site and also on the American AVS forum but got no response. Either it's a very rare bug or nobody's interested in IPTV streaming. I could contact LG about it but I can't stand tech support call centres as they're all so clueless.

It's odd because when a streaming app such as iPlayer is used there's no such issue, so it's definitely related to how Freeview is deployed on the LG platform. I had a Samsung before this and there was no issue. 

Every time there's a firmware update I hope it includes a fix for this, but it never does. I'm not sure where we go from here. It's certainly put me off LG in the future because Freeview IPTV streaming has some good channels and we can't watch them. Please can anyone with a 2019 LG OLED test for the issue?

Edit: if you look at my profile you'll see that I've already posted about the issue in another thread on this forum, which I totally forgot about! Quite a few others have experienced the issue. Here's a link to the thread:

https://www.lgwebos.com/topic/2959-cant-turn-off-fireworks-screen-saver/

had a callback from lg today who took remote control of the tv.

they say they will elevate it to a senior technician -  we shall see.

• Like 1