Quantcast

New SW installed, 05.80.15

• 2 weeks later...

I have a major issue with this firmware update. 

I updated the Australian software on my LG E7 OLED to 05.80.15 and now the colours are all washed out on my 4k set top box ! (Foxtel iq4 with HDMI deep true colour activated) When I set the resolution to 1080p it's ok, but when the resolution is set to 2160p I get washed out colours ... Reds are Orange etc. Before the update it was fine.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:12 AM, Kailem Jones said:

I have a major issue with this firmware update. 

I updated the Australian software on my LG E7 OLED to 05.80.15 and now the colours are all washed out on my 4k set top box ! (Foxtel iq4 with HDMI deep true colour activated) When I set the resolution to 1080p it's ok, but when the resolution is set to 2160p I get washed out colours ... Reds are Orange etc. Before the update it was fine.

Same issue here,  TV been updated  to 05.80.15 and 4k Xbone X  4K HDR is garbage it's all washed out, just does not look right. Prior to this it was fine, not tried PS4 pro 4k or 4K blu ray but we need a fix ASAP or I need to downgrade . What are the chance of LG fixing in the next couple of weeks?

On 1/9/2019 at 8:02 AM, ELP said:

Same issue here,  TV been updated  to 05.80.15 and 4k Xbone X  4K HDR is garbage it's all washed out, just does not look right. Prior to this it was fine, not tried PS4 pro 4k or 4K blu ray but we need a fix ASAP or I need to downgrade . What are the chance of LG fixing in the next couple of weeks?

No chance 

• 3 months later...

I’m in the same situation. When LG will fix this crap? 4000,00 € to watch washed up colors and orange instead of red? Now i’m watching tv in Pc mode but the quality is not the best possible due to the limited bandwidth via HDMI. I’m very disappointed. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Palmlu said:

Yes, as you can see, a lot of users has a serious issue with contents over hdmi in 4k hlg 50/60 hz. The chroma is completely unnatural. We are waiting for a new firmware that fix this crap.

Thanks for your answer. I only saw a few in this thread and a few in one other thread, so I thought the sample size was a bit small, so thats why I wondered if there are some problems that affects like thousands or more people due to this FW version. I haven't search around internet though, so maybe there are a ton of people having the same kind of issues with this firmware?

Okay so the chroma problem came with the 05.80.15 FW, why is it that every single one of these updates brings different kind of problems, actually they bring more bad things than good things. Doesn't LG do Beta testing before they release their damm updates? At least offer an easy approved way of downgrading.

Is there at least a way to disable the update question every time one turns on the TV?

The truth is, in my opinion, that this issue concerns only the HLG contents at 50/60 hz that, at moment, only a few of broadcasters are using. Watching by built in apps or blu ray Hdr or Apple TV the problem doesn’t exist. A lot of people, then, don’t know well what’s viewing. I read about someone which, non satisfied about the vision in 4k, switched in hd because is better! In my opinion all the oled lg 2017 are affected by this issue. Unfortunately there’s no way to downgrading, not approved way at least. 

14 hours ago, Palmlu said:

The truth is, in my opinion, that this issue concerns only the HLG contents at 50/60 hz that, at moment, only a few of broadcasters are using. Watching by built in apps or blu ray Hdr or Apple TV the problem doesn’t exist. A lot of people, then, don’t know well what’s viewing. I read about someone which, non satisfied about the vision in 4k, switched in hd because is better! In my opinion all the oled lg 2017 are affected by this issue. Unfortunately there’s no way to downgrading, not approved way at least. 

Yes no official approved way of downgrading, but downgrading is possible as far as I have understood, maybe a bit complicated but fully possible.

On 5/3/2019 at 9:09 AM, Palmlu said:

I prefer waiting for a official fix by LG, i have an extended warranty and i wouldn't want to invalidate it

Well this TV is a couple of years old now so i don't know if they will come out with anymore FW updates? I don't know how long time LG generally supports their TV´s with upgrades and fixes but I think its around 2 years. Maybe the latest FW upgrade was the last one for the 2017 OLED TV´s ?

I hope no! The washed out colors in 4k hdr 50hz are a serious issue. In Europe we watch tv at 50hz,  and, in my opinion a tv that doesn’t work correctly is a tv  defective . Not only watching sky q in 4k but also with Apple TV in 4k hdr 50hz it’s the same. I’ll be waiting a little bit more and than i ask a replace directly at LG. The product with this firmware  it’s not compliant.

22 hours ago, Palmlu said:

I hope no! The washed out colors in 4k hdr 50hz are a serious issue. In Europe we watch tv at 50hz,  and, in my opinion a tv that doesn’t work correctly is a tv  defective . Not only watching sky q in 4k but also with Apple TV in 4k hdr 50hz it’s the same. I’ll be waiting a little bit more and than i ask a replace directly at LG. The product with this firmware  it’s not compliant.

Okay so to be clear, has this problem come from the latest 05.80.15 firmware, or did it happen from any of the earlier firmware updates?

And yes definitely, if it is a known problem then LG needs to fix it, if they don't do that one should be entitled to a refund or replacement, at least in the EU, don't know if that works in real life though, I would really hope so.

I don't use Apple TV, i only use the TV with a set-top box with 4K capabilities to watch cable TV, and i´m in a 50 Hz country as well. I wonder if it would affect me if watching 4K channels through my set-top box?

Is it all the colors equally washed out, or does it only affect some particular colors, I guess it must be all colors, or?

The previous firmware doesn’t have this problem. I’m very disappointed and tired about this situation. 4000 € for a tv that shows in 4k hdr 50hz via HDMI washed out colors? Orange instead of red? Incredible! You can see the washed out color watching  via HDMI in 4k hdr 50 hz. If you watch in 4k sdr you don’t use the space color rec2020 and your tv works correctly. All the colors are washed out, the red is the most evident, become orange....

9 hours ago, Palmlu said:

The previous firmware doesn’t have this problem. I’m very disappointed and tired about this situation. 4000 € for a tv that shows in 4k hdr 50hz via HDMI washed out colors? Orange instead of red? Incredible! You can see the washed out color watching  via HDMI in 4k hdr 50 hz. If you watch in 4k sdr you don’t use the space color rec2020 and your tv works correctly. All the colors are washed out, the red is the most evident, become orange....

Oh that doesn't sound good at all, thats why i´m always afraid of these firmware updates, they often have some small fix but instead ruins very important things. So they break things instead of help.

Which TV model do you have? I wonder if all models are affected which uses this firmware version? The problem is that when you don´t do the firmware update you get a nagging update request message every single time you turn on the TV which you must choose yes or no too, even though you have auto updates turned off, thats very annoying.

If you live in a EU country I suppose there are some kind of consumer protection against these kind of things, we have paid to get fully working TV´s, not faulty TV´s, since thats what it is if the problem is not fixable by the end user and the manufacturer doesn't want to fix it.

I’m Italian, I signed up an extended warranty with LG and I want a tv fully working. I’ll wait a little longer and then i’ll write to LG for a solution.  I have a 65 e7v payed 4000 € on dicember 2017. It’s unthinkable that’s impossible watching in 4k hdr 50%