Quantcast

Glitchy recordings from USB disk

vinnieb

Question

Hi,

I've recently purchased a LG 43UK6300PLB, which by and large has been excellent! But I'm having problems with recording to USB. So far I've tried a 500GB drive I had spare, but its probably 7-8 years old, and I've tried an SSD as well. Tried the 500GB in an older USB2 external caddy and in a more recent USB3, and the SSD in the USB3. Both were formatted to NTFS.

When I come to watch the recording, I get what looks like signal breakup where I might lose a second or so of the recording. Its not constant either, there might be a 10 second period where the quality is really bad and broken, and then maybe a minute of it being OK.

I've tried the USB3 caddy with external 5V power added in too, 2A supply.

Same problem happens if I pause live TV, and then unpause it a little later.

Normal TV picture quality is fine, I've got good signal here and never see this on normal viewing.

Wondered if anyone had suggestions? Is it worth trying a USB stick instead? Running out of ideas with this one.

Thanks

2 answers to this question

On 10/15/2018 at 8:55 PM, vinnieb said:

Hi,

I've recently purchased a LG 43UK6300PLB, which by and large has been excellent! But I'm having problems with recording to USB. So far I've tried a 500GB drive I had spare, but its probably 7-8 years old, and I've tried an SSD as well. Tried the 500GB in an older USB2 external caddy and in a more recent USB3, and the SSD in the USB3. Both were formatted to NTFS.

When I come to watch the recording, I get what looks like signal breakup where I might lose a second or so of the recording. Its not constant either, there might be a 10 second period where the quality is really bad and broken, and then maybe a minute of it being OK.

I've tried the USB3 caddy with external 5V power added in too, 2A supply.

Same problem happens if I pause live TV, and then unpause it a little later.

Normal TV picture quality is fine, I've got good signal here and never see this on normal viewing.

Wondered if anyone had suggestions? Is it worth trying a USB stick instead? Running out of ideas with this one.

Thanks

I get exactly the same issue on a 6470 normal viewing is fine and never breaks up. But recordings via USB (I have tried 3 different disks including a SSD) are always glitchy. I have recorded a live broadcast and watched it with no glitches and then played back the recording and it contains glitches. Happens on both Freesat and Freeview.

If anyone has an ideas please let me know.

I followed up with LG tech support a couple of times, they suggested it was because the signal strength (if I remember right) was too high - they wanted it to be something like 75% to 85%. So, I got this down to 80% but made no difference for me, but maybe worth checking.

It's strange as I guess it must work for most other people, but I tried a bunch of difference devices, and even benchmarked them on a PC, finding the IO performance to be way better than what HD recordings should need. Having said that, did seem worse for HD channels than SD, which made me wonder if was data rate.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.