Quantcast

[pivotCE]Bing Maps Patched for webOS

pivotCE

Capture.png?resize=800%2C574

Bing Maps has been patched for their latest API change for webOS.  webOS Nation forums user, Misj’, has developed two patches to cover both the Pre and TouchPad bases.

Microsoft has switched over to v8 of the maps API and left our old v7 in the dust. Misj’ discovered the issue and wrote a simple patch to change the URL the app points to.

link hidden, please login to view
Before and after on a Pre.

It’s not 100% perfect since this change doesn’t fix a couple things:
– Birds-eye view does not work any more and results in a blank screen.
– Even though the locale is set to PalmSystem.locale, you may have to add your country to your search criteria to make sure you don’t get a random country result.

Before and after on a TouchPad.

There’s also a little bit of confusion about which patch to use since some have reported that the TouchPad version of the patch doesn’t work on all TouchPads.  For some reason, some TouchPads have the Pre version of Bing Maps or so it would seem. Basically, if you try to install the TouchPad patch and it fails, try the Pre3 version and you should be fine.

You can get the patches and talk about it .

Personally I use Google Maps by 72ka which generally speaking works perfectly. But I’m always happy when a developer takes the time to restore functionality to webOS. Thanks Misj’!

#webOSforever

Related posts:

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

• Similar Topics

• By Nick Payne
      I can stream ABC content using either the iView app on our LG G1 65" OLED, or via the iView Android TV app that is installed on a Chromecast with Google TV that is plugged into one of the G1 HDMI ports. If I stream content using the app on the TV, every few minutes there's a momentary (fraction of a second) interruption to both sound and video. If I stream the same content using the app on the Chromecast, I get no such interruptions. Both TV and Chromecast are using wired Ethernet connections to the same switch, so I can't see that these interruptions are due to a network problem, or I'd see them on both devices. It would seem to be a problem with the app provided on the TV. Other streaming services that we access via apps on the TV (Netflix, Stan, Amazon Prime, etc) do not show the same problem.
    • By majorusa
      Please post here firmware number for your WebOS set including your country or the country where you downloaded the firmware and the model of your tv set:
      - 3.23.24 - Romania- 47LB730v
      - 3.23.34 - Romania -47LB730v - 21.08.2014 by USB
      - 4.30.09 - Romania - 47LB730v - 29.08.2014 - OTA
    • By Alex
      Build Your First App for webOS TV
      Web apps are written using HTML with copious amounts of CSS and JavaScript for style and functionality. Any modern Web browser can deliver this type of apps to the user.  With webOS TV, web apps are elevated to the lofty title of a first class citizen - web apps on webOS TV are given access to the same hardware, and OS features that typically available to native apps.

Web apps built for webOS TV are very similar to standard web apps. Like the standard web applications, you can create web apps for webOS TV using standards based web technologies like HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Anyone with experience in building web applications can easily start developing web apps for webOS TV.

Now, just create your app using the CLI.
      Run the webOS TV CLI.

Create new app with Enyo bootplate.
      ares-generate -t moonstone-2014 first-app Now you can continue developing and testing your app.

Edit ./first-app/appinfo.json file. Update "id" and "title" properties in appinfo.json file with text editor as below.
      {
          "id": "com.yourdomain.app.firstapp",
          "version": "0.0.1",
          "vendor": "My Company",
          "type": "web",
          "main": "index.html",
          "title": "singlepane",
          "icon": "icon.png",
      }

Package your app from app directory. If app is packaged successfully, you can see the created .ipk file.
      ares-package first-app  
      Run the webOS TV Emulator.

Install your app to emulator. Be sure to use the correct file name for your package.
      ares-install com.yourdomain.app.firstapp_0.0.1_all.ipk  
      Launch your app on emulator.
      ares-launch com.yourdomain.app.firstapp
    • By Bella Lee
      With the Amazon Music app, LG smart TV owners who also happen to be Prime members can finally access two million songs on their TVs. But there is a more convenient approach for you to play Amazon Music on LG smart TV. With an link hidden, please login to view or Mac, you are able to and them play them directly on your smart TV without the Amazon Music app. And you don't worry that your smart TV is not compatible with LG smart TV.
    • By SimonW
      WebOS 05.20.15
      DNS over TLS active on router (Cloudfare), all apps (like Netflix, Prime Video & HBO Max etc) are working fine, but the Apple TV app times out (no network)
      Removed the app, installed it again, but still not network. Turned DNS over TLS off, Apple TV works fine.
      According to Apple it's a LG (WebOS) issue, the only requirements, they say, are "active internet connection" and "no VPN".
      Also tested with Apple TV on a Fire TV Stick (on same network) and there it's working fine wiht DoT.  Unfortunately Fire Stick is not 4K, so app on TV is preferred.
      Look to me issue is with the Apple TV app itselfs, but Apple says it's LG.
      Anyone got some suggestions?