Quantcast

[pivotCE]Dianbao: A Telegram client for webOS and a judgement call

pivotCE

m6BFtJQW_400x400.png?resize=300%2C300&ss

Instant messaging on webOS has just about been reduced to Google Chat (2.x and up) and SMS here in 2017. Trying to solve the “what to use for instant messaging” question, developer Gan Theng Hwee, ported an app he wrote for BlackBerry 10 to webOS.  The app is Dianbao for Telegram and (duh) is a Telegram client.

Gan actually

link hidden, please login to view
for his work on porting the Telegram desktop client to BlackBerry 10.

We actually talked about Dianbao for webOS when it was released in our but the app was updated a couple times after that and developed what can best be described as a necessity to make a judgement call.

A judgement call

The judgement call stems from the app source code.  The Telegram desktop client is based on GPL source code which is open source software.  Since Gan wrote the BlackBerry 10 app from that source code he can’t distribute it without releasing the source code upon request. Unfortunately, he also wrote a significant portion of the app in proprietary code that he does not wish to share.  The result is he pulled the app from but left it in Preware. So…if you want it, .

This dilemma was pointed out by pcworld on the forums.  pcworld went on later to divulge he had begun reverse engineering the application to convert it to open source code. But like all side projects, real life tends to get in the way so until it’s completed to a state pcworld is comfortable with, you can feel free to make the judgement call.

How well does the app work?

Pretty well actually IF you have a Pre 3 or a TouchPad with a bluetooth keyboard attached. The Veer tries its little heart out to work but you just can’t see anything on that tiny screen thanks to the app not scaling well. The app will not function at all on a Pre 2 or earlier device even with webOS 2.2.4.

I was able to setup an account using my Pre 3 and get started chatting right away. Check out the gallery below.

You can read about it and discuss it

#webOSforever

Related posts:

• Similar Topics

• By Roy Brown
      webOS updated, I think to 2023, on my C2 a couple of days ago. Since then the News option on the Sky News app no longer works, instead timing out. The Weather and Climate options still work, though.
      I have deleted and reloaded the Sky News app, but the problem remains.
      Does anybody have any suggestions of what I might try to get this working again, or is this something for LG, or Sky, to fix?
    • By quentar82
      In the specifications of this LaserTV it is shown that WebOS 6.0 should be installed on this device.
      The latest Device Firmware Version is 3.01.02 and i am missing the RTL+ App (Germany) which should be available with WebOS 6.0 
      So any info when there will be a "real" WebOS 6.0 available on the Cinebeam HU915EQE?

• By nkat
      Hello Team,
      I'm unable to play any video  any video on LG TV WebOS browswer. 
      I've tried to play
      link hidden, please login to viewm also, but no luck. I've toggled (on and off) the 'Adpative Javascript video stream' settings in browser but no luck.
      Can any one help on this .?
    • By pivotCE
      link hidden, please login to view hold a number of events. This year’s will be of interest to fans of webOS phones, tablets and other computing devices of the past. The festival is held at the and runs over three days from the 12th to 14th of April. The festival includes three elements:
      – some with modifications to function in the modern environment. and . . For readers of this blog, representation of webOS devices will be in two of those areas. Jon W of the is attending over the weekend and will give a 50 minute talk at 900am on Saturday the 13th. The consignment shop will have a small selection of webOS devices for those who are interested.
      So if you are in the area, why not go along?
      If you can’t make it, you can follow along via the and TouchPads are available remotely at
      Discussion is at the . You can read more .
      Picture Credit: .
      The post first appeared on . Related posts:

• By tomatowarden
      Hey everyone, I've been using my LG WebOS TV for some time now, and there's a small but impactful change I'd love to see. Currently, when the TV is turned on without an HDMI input, it defaults to displaying a wallpaper. It's not aesthetically pleasing, it's a bit of an inconvenience for users like me who primarily use the TV's smart features.My suggestion is to include an option that allows the TV to boot directly into the Home screen, displaying all the available apps and streaming options right away. This would streamline the user experience, making it faster and easier to access the services we use most.Would love to hear the community's thoughts on this. Cheers!