Quantcast

It's Official Palm Is Back!

Alex

Palm makes a comeback! TCL to 're-create' the brand - The Chinese consumer-electronics company wants to resurrect a once-beloved smartphone brand.

LAS VEGAS -- The Palm name, once a leader in the smartphone world, gets another chance at life thanks to Chinese consumer-electronics company TCL.

TCL said on Tuesday that it had acquired the rights to the Palm name and would "re-create" a new company based in Silicon Valley. The company added that it would use input from Palm's fan base, touting that it would be the largest crowd-sourced project in the industry.

TCL has been attempting to build up its brand and awareness in the US. The company is largely known for selling low-cost televisions, but it also has a mobile-device division, which uses the Alcatel OneTouch name. By utilizing the Palm name, which has a long history in the mobile world with the original Treo and Pilot handhelds, and later the WebOS-powered Pre, TCL is attempting to make a splash.

TCL's deal follows Lenovo's much splashier acquisition of another storied mobile company, Motorola, as a way to break into more-developed markets like the US. Palm, however, has been an inactive brand while Motorola was still selling phones before the deal. Still, there may be some nostalgia factor left that could help with TCL's profile.

"Palm has always carried a lot of affect and emotions," the company said in a statement.

The company said it would provide more details and a timeline of the project at a later date.

TCL acquired the name from Hewlett-Packard, which acquired Palm in 2010 with the grand vision of utilizing its WebOS mobile operating system across many products. HP ultimately mothballed its consumer mobile ambitions.

TCL isn't likely to use WebOS. In 2013, LG purchased the WebOS platform, which now powers its smart televisions.

TCL intends to use the Palm name for smartphones, but it's unclear how the company will juggle the Palm name with Alcatel OneTouch, which is making its own push to increase its visibility in the US.

Source:

link hidden, please login to view

So here is the question....what Palm gadgets will we see and what OS will they use? Will it be Open webOS, LuneOS, some form of open source webOS, Android? We'll have to wait and see, but for all you palm webOS fans and die hard webOS original adopters, this may bring back some nostalgia. I myself owned 2 pixis, a pre and pre2, and also still have my Touchpad!

• 2 years later...

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By News Reporter
      LG’s Cinematic Ode to the Possibilities of Life
      Showcases the Vision of Tomorrow’s Creative Artists

SEOUL, Aug. 27, 2021 — The Life’s Good Film, helmed by the up-and-coming director with support from LG Electronics (LG), debuts today on LG’s YouTube channel. Woven together from videos submitted by hundreds of young filmmakers from around the world, the Tisi-produced work delivers a beautiful and touching meditation on life as interpreted by young creatives.
      A key component of LG’s Life’s Good campaign which kicked off in May, the Life’s Good Film Project invited 531 young auteurs from 33 countries to share their creative submissions with Jackson. Using the best footage, Tisi produced a 20-minute story showcasing the world’s budding visual storytellers’ distinctive voices, fresh perspectives and undeniable talent. The project generated considerable interest online, garnering over 140 million impressions and more than 44 million total views of related posts on social media platforms during the production process.
      “I wanted to share the emotions we all have and feel in life no matter what corner of the world we come from,” explained Tisi. “Empathy is the key to communication with one another, especially when we’re getting through tough days.” At previews earlier this month, Tisi’s short was praised for its uplifting message and Tisi’s unique vision.
      “An exploration through many eyes around the world, Life’s Good, is a truly singular experiment,” said Diva Vélez of New York Film Critics Online. “The film demonstrates the beautiful differences of the human diaspora and our various environments, while also revealing how completely tied in soul and spirit we are and have further become due to the global COVID-19 pandemic.”
      The 20-minute short explores different aspects of a good life in six chapters: Life’s Beautiful, Life’s Community, Life’s Lonely, Life’s In Motion, Life’s an Adventure and Life’s Good. The first five chapters visualize a wide range of subject matter, from the beauty of nature, the vitality of physical movement, personal growth nurtured in times of solitude to the togetherness and warmth of a close-knit community. The final chapter depicts today’s young generation united in celebration of life, eloquently bringing the film to a close.
      LG will screen the trailer of Life’s Good Film on LG’s digital billboards in Times Square in New York City and Piccadilly Circus in London beginning from today. The short will make an appearance at select film festivals as well in the weeks ahead. The Life’s Good Film is now available for viewing on the channel. Additional information on LG’s 2021 Life’s Good campaign can be found here on .
      # # #

• By News Reporter
      Through its unending quest to bringing about innovations that better people’s lives, LG has won over the hearts of consumers all around the world, especially in India where the brand has been loved for more than two decades. Such loyalty was confirmed by research group TRA when it named LG India’s Most Trusted Brand for washing machines, refrigerators and TVs in 2020. This year, LG was elated to learn that Indian consumers had elevated their opinion of LG, naming it India’s Most Desired Brand in the TV, washing machine and refrigerator categories.

The 7th edition of the was developed by TRA Research, a brand intelligence and data insights firm dedicated to understanding and analyzing stakeholder behavior. The report includes the opinions of more than 2,000 consumer-influencers across 16 Indian cities who were asked about their favorite brands. The top 1,000 brands were ranked using four foundations of desire: aspirational appeal, rational appeal, emotional appeal and communication appeal.

In India, where LG has been operating for 24 years, the achievement is confirmation of LG’s long-standing commitment to putting customers first with services and products that deliver unmatched performance, quality and style. For example, LG India extended insurance coverage with purchases of LG home appliances as part of its COVID-19 Health Insurance Consumer Promotion to provide up to INR 50,000 to COVID-19 patients and INR 20,000 to customers affected by vector-borne diseases such as dengue and malaria. This effort was widely appreciated by Indian consumers during this critical time and reinforced LG’s reputation as a socially responsible and caring brand.

Another initiative that demonstrated LG’s commitment to Indians was its Life’s Good when we better it campaign featuring Bollywood movie star . The portrays’ India’s young creatives achieving their dreams and setting new benchmarks through advanced and smart technology most desired by this generation. And for tomorrow’s consumers, brands must be committed to running their businesses more sustainably and LG has been leading the market in e-waste management to ensure the responsible disposal of electronic wastes.

LG Electronics firmly believes that the consumer experience is just as important as the product itself, which is why LG is more committed than ever to running its business responsibly. And LG will keep supporting local communities and continuing to innovate for better lives around the world, including India.

Contributed by LG India
      # # #

• By Chalika
      Hi, I have a tv which purchased in Hong Kong, model is LG 65uf9500. But I have brought the TV to New Zealand and I cannot use lots of the features such as Netflix and Youtube, also lagging sometimes. Can I update the Firmware with New Zealand?
    • By News Reporter
      As the first social generation to have grown up with access to the internet and digital technology from an early age, members of Generation Z have become today’s cultural opinion leaders all over the world. To connect with this demographic audience, LG launched the 2021 Life’s Good global campaign in May and called on young aspiring musicians and filmmakers to share their thoughts on what makes life special.

The second year of the campaign recruited the help of singer/songwriter Charlie Puth to spearhead the Life’s Good Music Project and director Jackson Tisi to headline the Life’s Good Film Project. The two-month campaign provided a platform for young talent to showcase their personal take on LG’s familiar theme and generated more than 100 million total views on various social media platforms. In total, the music and film campaigns attracted submissions from more than 1,600 entries from 48 countries, all conveying a sense of hope and optimism for the future.
      Clockwise from top left: Sade Whittier, Dani Kim, Stacey Capers, Stacey Ryan 
      The Music Project alone showcased the unique artistic sensibilities of over a thousand participants from 36 countries. From this diverse group of creative talents, four lucky artists from different backgrounds united by their passion for music were chosen to represent the 2021 Life’s Good Music Project in collaboration with Charlie Puth: Stacey Capers and Sade Whittier of the USA, Stacey Ryan of Canada and Dani Kim of South Korea. The selected winners will get the opportunity to complete and perform the song in a music video with Puth as well as receive OLED TVs along with other LG products.

“In the collaborative process of bringing a song to life, it’s always beautiful to touch on the shared experience despite any differences in our personal experiences, history, culture, or where we grew up,” said Puth. “We can come together through the universal language of music and our shared belief that Life’s Good.”

Hundreds of burgeoning video auteurs from 33 countries captured the footage of their own diverse and inspiring Life’s Good moments and submitted their works to the Film Project. The submissions showed how places, spaces and happy moments held special meanings in their lives and in the lives of their loved ones. Related posts on social media have garnered over 44 million views total to date, reaching a truly global audience.

LG’s 2021 Life’s Good global campaign reminds us of the limitless possibilities we have to create our own lives as we wish. With inspiring submissions embodying the immense talent and enthusiasm of the next generation of artists, LG hopes to share the message of hope and togetherness with the world.
      The inaugural 2021 Life’s Good Film will be unveiled on August 27 while the song and music video will drop next month. For more on the 2021 Life’s Good global campaign, stay tuned to LG’s and .
      # # #

• By Jayanth
      Hi All,
      I have purchased LGTV Model 55LM7600 . When I purchased I used to view Youtube, Netflix , Web Browser etc.  To my surprise
      1. I am unable to View anything using web browser  When i open any content I get a message  "  Not suffiencient memory and  Need to restart yes or no" Message
      2. Also I dont find apps like Youtube and Primevideo etc. When I factory reset the apps are shown but when I connect to Internet the apps disapear. 
      Pls give me a solution for the same. Without these apps and Web browser my TV is DUMB . I have spent more than 1.5 lakhs for the TV and Cant ignore the same. Pls  Provide a solution immediately. If required pls update the OS ASAP.
      Regards
      Jayanth
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Alex
      Unfortunately not running our beloved webOS, but Android, FCC documents show a new Palm phone in the works. If you recall, the Palm brand was purchased by TLC with the promise of releasing new Palm branded phones.....

First spotted by , new filings show a device called the Palm PVG100 has passed through the  and . Yes, a Palm smartphone submitted by the  just showed up in 2018.
      Not much is known about the device, but it is an Android 8.1 Oreo smartphone with WiFi 2.4GHz and quad-band LTE support. If you went "huh" after reading 2.4GHz, you are correct with that reaction as this device will not support the faster 5GHz band, common in most devices now, by the looks of this filing. ....

Palm PVG100 Escapes Smartphone Purgatory Running Android Oreo
      Read more at
    • By ajmboy
      Some time ago, palm.com was redirecting to mynewpalm.com and at one point there was splash page with the old palm logo. Checking today, palm.com still redirects to mynewpalm.com but instead of a page not found, it now takes you to:

Then to 

Question is, what is SQREEM? 
      Now that's in Google Chrome but in edge, mynewpalm.com comes up as:

TLC is supposed to revive the palm branded phones but with Android: 
    • By Alex
      has the Palm Pre 2 16GB Verizon CDMA Phone with webOS 2.0 for $99 if anyone is looking for one.

• By pfirmsto
      Support at least one of your existing smart phone handsets properly (eg a mid range model), build it and developers will come, allow it to share apps and communicate with TV's and other webOS devices wirelessly. Eg, share photo's, movies, music and application data.