Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Sign in to follow this  
pivotCE

[pivotCE] Remembering our Friend: OldSkoolVWLover

oldskoolJosh on the right and his wife, Sarah on the left

A little over a week ago, the Mobile Nations community lost a long-time forum member and moderator known to us as OldSkoolVWLover. His real name was Josh. He passed away on the 7th of December, 2014 at the all too early age of 33.

Those of us that interacted with him via either Crackberry or webOS Nation know that he was patient, helpful, and insightful. The quality of a web-forum, populated by far-flung and semi-anonymous commenters, can reasonably be said to be indicative of the efforts of its moderators. The forums of webOS Nation and Crackberry have been noted for their friendly welcome and expertise. We owe many thanks to Josh’s contributions over the years.

joshIt was his love of PalmOS devices and their webOS successors that brought him to eventually moderate the forums of webOS Nation. After the webOS platform began to rock from the decisions made at HP, Josh moved on to Blackberry devices and across the Mobile Nations to moderate at Crackberry. Both forums have threads paying tribute to him. Feel free to pay your respects at webOS Nation and/or Crackberry.

Josh leaves behind his lovely wife Sarah and beloved dogs. A few months ago he posted to his Instagram:

“Life could be so much worse, if I die tomorrow I hope my family and friends know I got to live it to the fullest!”

Josh’s car will go on display at the California Automobile Museum on Sunday, Dec 21 as part of a celebration of his life from 2pm-6pm. Anyone may attend the event.

Friends are invited to donate on Josh’s behalf to Recycled Pets NorCal.

pivotCE would like send our deepest condolences to his family. webOS Nation forums user, Remy X, said it best:

“It’s hard to believe when [this type of thing] happens, takes a little while for it to sink in. […] Just like that, a life can be taken away, a reminder […] we should do more to make our time worthwhile, to share kindness, common sense and make good memories, not grudges.

Life is fragile…

@OldSkoolVWLover,

Rest in peace, my friend. We’ll miss you.”

Top photo: Josh’s Instagram

View the full article from pivotCE

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Forum Topics

• Question: Netflix unable to cast through mobile App

I just got an LG 55" smart TV with WebOS 3.0 was able to setup everything including network.

Installed and updated Netflix. But when i try using my Phone (Note8) Netflix and cast to the TV it only opens the netflix on the TV. Doesnt stream or open any movies that I select in my phone Netflix app. On my phone Its showing  that it is casting but doesnt play on the TV

Anyone encountered this issue? And fix you can recommend please?

Youtube is perfectly working with casting through the phone YouTube app

By Hellows, in LG webOS Smart TV App Questions

• Awaiting best answer
      • 0 votes
      • 0 answers
    • Question: Hot Star live videos are not displayed on tv screen when I cast from my mobile.

Hi LG, When I am sharing my mobile screen with the TV it is working fine. I am able to see videos, photos etc. But when I am sharing my screen for HotStar app to watch live match, the screen does not display the cricket, I can only hear the sound. And when try to open the HotStar via browser, it is displaying a message, hot star is not available in your location(hyderabad). Can you please help me out with this.

By vinod12, in LG webOS Smart TV App Questions

• Awaiting best answer
      • 0 votes
      • 0 answers
    • Question: "Mobile TV On" doesn't work

Any idea how to make this work? I have paired various apps including the LG Tv Plus app and I have also got "Mobile TV On" set to on. TV is connected via WiFi and also ethernet cable. However when I turn off the TV via any of the apps the tv then also disappears from the network thus I cannot access it to turn it on. I have tried to use Mobile TV On with just Wifi turned on or with just Ethernet Cable turned on as well as both but no luck either way. Any ideas what Im doing wrong here? Many thanks. My TV is on software 04.70.20 and its model number is 55UJ634V-ZD. Many thanks.

By Cestmoi, in LG webOS Smart TV Questions

• Awaiting best answer
      • 0 votes
      • 1 answer
    • [pivotCE]A webOS user’s story and why the webOS community is the best

KarenIf you’re an active member of the webOS community these days, you’ll know we’re a small, tight-knit group of friendly folks. Our three subgroups tend to be mostly free-time developers, advanced users, and those that are hanging on to the form factor/mobile OS despite its limited services and with little regard for the do-it-all-for-you modern devices. The forums on webOS Nation continue to be the primary source for communication and provide the venue for meeting the occasional “newcomer” to our little slice of the web. This is the story of one such friend of webOS. Meet Karen… …a complete stranger swimming in the sea of internet anonymity like us all. I met Karen via twitter. To read her full backstory check out her first post on the forums but I’ll summarize:  she had 3 Sprint Pres since 2009 which all died slow deaths physically, she bought a Veer with intent to switch to a GSM carrier but the setup steps were a bit daunting, so she reached out to the community for help. You may notice the time gap between her post and the tweet above. The Veer sat in the box for about a year and in the meantime she had been using a semi-crippled Sprint Pre and an unnamed Android device to get through her work and home life. She needed assistance with the Veer and I offered to help. But Karen’s story does not end with sending me the Veer nor is this a tale of getting a webOS user back up and running. What I learned from helping her was two-fold because while Karen is a specific person, she represents something bigger. Karen is “every man”…well, as it relates to the quiet masses of unnamed people out there still using webOS. There are more people still using webOS than we in the community realize. The forum may number in the 100s but there are likely 5-10x that still out there plugging away with that tacky keyboard and brittle slider. These folks will find us eventually on the forums. We must be ready and willing to assist. webOS is still impacting people’s lives in the original ways Palm strived to achieve. Connecting everything via synergy, fast task switching, and everything accessible via a “Just type” search among others. But this only encapsulates the “what” in webOS’ draw. I’ll let Karen tell you the “why” in the words she shared upon receiving the Veer back from me (emphasis added). “I’d been telling myself it’s ‘just a phone’ but…using it today, I know that webOS is so much more for me. I powered [the Veer] this morning and, I just don’t have words. It’s that July day back in 2009, all over again. Except…back then I was meeting a new friend, who, I thought, might help me live my life on my terms. The Pre was the first device I carried ubiquitously. Today, though, flipping through cards, running apps, it’s a long lost friend and partner, returning to my life. I hadn’t realized how it had been slipping away, one function at a time, with the Pre. You never know what you have until you’ve lost it. I can’t even express what this means to me. …I drive so hard in life, and depend on a few tools and people to enable my work. Years ago, when I was playing cello professionally, my daughter broke my cello, [I thought] permanently. It was in the shop for over a month, and while I had an exquisite loaner to use, it wasn’t the cello I had used every day for 25 years. Everything was just a tiny bit….off. Everything […] required extra thought, extra awareness. I finally got my cello back, restored. I didn’t have words then either. This feels exactly the same. Having a phone that is intuitive allows me to focus on the big stuff! I will put it succinctly:  webOS is a superlative tool that allows me to focus on work and do great good. My contributions to this world would be diminished without it.” Well said, Karen. webOS itself was quite the contribution to the world. And our little community, however small, still makes a big impact not in the market but in the lives of its users. It’s awesome to give back to those that make our little community great especially during the season of giving. Thanks webOS Nation! #webOSforever Related posts: UPDATE: Special Investigations Unit asks webOS Users for Help in Murder Case LuneOS Is All About Users View the full article

By pivotCE, in pivotCE News

• 0 replies
    • [pivotCE]LuneOS December Stable Release: Cappuccino

Merry Christmas! And we’re finally back with a new release called “Cappuccino”, just in time for Christmas and the New Year. We have been focusing on improving the underlying system stability, adding new features and upgrading various system components. The release is a bit later compared to what you’re used to this which is due to a combination of some technical, logistical and personnel issues. We have worked hard to make the OS even more stable and smooth. We have been focusing on some of the back-end bits for Instant Messaging. Instant Messages aren’t working yet fully in our Enyo 2 rewrite of Messaging, but things start to look better with each change. We have also updated various IM plugins for Skype & Yahoo. We have also reworked the handling of the notifications to become a bit more snappier and we brought back some more features from LunaCE like “Card Zoom Gestures“. We have also re-worked the handling of the icons in the launcher a bit. We now have a Calendar icon showing the correct day for example. We have also started the work to migrate our Nexus 4 (Mako) build from Android 4.2.2 (CM 10.1) based to Android 5.1 (CM 12.1) based. The image for this is working, we’re now looking to integrate this into our build environment, which is scheduled for just after the holidays. This will also make new ports of more modern targets like the newer Nexus  and OnePlus targets a lot easier. At the same time we’re also looking at updating our Yocto release from Krogoth to Morty, however we ran into some roadblocks there, so we’ll revisit that after we have completed our CM 12.1 build integration. Many other small items have been fixed as well, see below for more details of all the changes! Known issues: Node-SQLite3 is currently not working. Components using Node-SQLite3 have switched to an alternative storage method for now. Focus bug on input fields. You can work around this by hiding the virtual keyboard and pressing the input again. Changelog Applications: Contacts (org.webosports.app.contacts): Allow searching in Favorites, as in webOS 1.x and 2.x, cleanup of un-needed controls, width of search field is limited to about 14 characters, Tweaks visuals, increase targetWidth or search field. Added Enyo 2.5 People Pick from Messaging for future use. FirstUse (org.webosports.app-firstuse): Various graphic improvements 2, use #4db2ff as link color. Preware (org.webosinternals.preware):  Refactors global functions & vars into local, removes unused code & generally cleans up. Messaging: org.webosports.app.messaging: Fix empty PalmSystem.launchParams, Use 13 digit Javascript timestamp to be legacy compatible, Fix JSON syntax errors & add contacts mock data, ThreadView.js: Fix Uncaught TypeError, Refactors and removes unused files, in preparation for Enyo 2.7. Preware (org.webosinternals.preware): Add systemd service file. User Interface: luna-next-cardshell: LaunchBar: Let Phone app depend on Settings.tabletUi instead, fix arrangement of icons like legaycy, CardView Correctly center the current card/group in the screen, CardView: take spread value from card group model, CardView: fix some issues when maximizing a card from a stack, CardView: Implement pinch-to-zoom on a single card, Notifications: Use the same swiping logics as for cards, LaunchBar: Dynamically populate icons & update application JSON files, LaunchBar: Have usefull apps for desktop testing, LaunchBar: Use a common ApplicationModel instance for all the launchers, CardView: avoid artefacts after card swiped out, LaunchBar.qml: Don’t use asc: true since it’s invalid, fix default-app-icon.png artifacts. System Level: build: Corrected upload path for builds. qtwebengine-chromium: add missing include, fix detection of MSVC 2015 Express, fix accessibility crash on view destruction, when a popup is open. webos-telephonyd: com.palm.mmsmessage:1 db kind & permissions for com.palm.& apps. qtwebengine: Update to latest from upstream 5.6 (22-Nov-2016). messaging-accounts: Update Yahoo template for new plugin, removed unneeded logging, removed MySpaceIM template. jenkins-job.sh: Show number of openssl archives before and after sstate-cache-management.sh, add few more extra archs to sstate cleanup. luna-sysmgr: Add default-dock-positions for filling QuickLaunch Bar. luna-webappmanager: BluetoothManager: Add paringDone function. qtsensors-sensorfw-plugin: Update to latest QT 5.6.2 code. luneos-components: Return locale as well while subscribing, add missing apps to test data, Test apps list: fix icon paths and ids to get correct launchers. meta-webos-ports: mojomail: drop patches and move to own fork, qt5-qpa-hwcomposer-plugin: switch to upstream and add rotation patch, sensorfw: Update to latest upstream (30-Oct-16), nemo-qml-plugin-dbus: Switch to mer git and bump SRCREV, mobile-broadband-providers-info: update to latest from upstream (02-Nov-2016), lxc: Update to 2.0.5, libhyrbis: update to latest from upstream (02-nov-16), https-everywhere: update to latest from upstream, hunspell-dictionaries: update to latest, hunspell: Update to 1.4.1, python-tz-native: Update to 2016.7, uriparser: Update to 0.8.4, Update Preware feed for Feedspider and use secure URL, purple-skypeweb: Update to latest from upstream (19-Dec-16), funyahoo-plusplus: Add recipe, More robust building & cleaner logging of enyo-dev apps, imaccountvalidator: Add new Yahoo plugin & remove old ones, imlibpurpleservice: Add new Yahoo plugin & remove old ones, The usual 1. Sign up for the bug tracker 2. Get involved and 3. Join the mailing list Download and Install Feel free to download the updated builds to get started. Tenderloin and Mako remain our focus for now, but the emulator, Maguro & Grouper work too. Installation instructions for TouchPad (Tenderloin), Galaxy Nexus (Maguro), Nexus 4 (Mako), Emulator, and Nexus7 (Grouper) are on the wiki. And remember we don’t do timelines. Don’t forget to contact us with any questions and feel free to join the discussion on the webOS Nation forums. Catch us on Twitter @webosports on IRC: Freenode:#webos-ports or email [email protected] There will be a major upgrade of our build infrastructure over Christmas and New Year, so we’ll need some time to make sure everything is working properly during January, so there won’t be a release in January. We will see you in February with a new release! Related posts: LuneOS December Stable Release: Caffè Marocchino LuneOS June Stable Release: Caffè Tobio LuneOS May Stable Release: Café mocha View the full article

By pivotCE, in pivotCE News

• 0 replies