Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Alex

New LG WebOS logo added to Wiki

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Question: Casting from iphone BT sports app to LG UF640V

I'm getting very frustrated. I can happily cast content from my Iphone 6 to my TV using websites etc. However, I can't from in an app (BT Sports for example). I've got Chromeast set up on a non smart TV and all works perfectly on that. Do I need a 2nd Chromecast? I was hoping a "smart TV" wouldn't need it? Help greatly appreciated Stephen French

By Stephen French, in LG webOS Smart TV Questions

• Awaiting best answer

• 0 votes
      • 1 answer
    • Question: How are apps added to the existing app display?

I want to add all available apps to my LG smart TV display.   There are some youtube videos describing methods that I've researched and tried, however they didn't quite work out the way I wanted.   Is there a concrete set of steps that will enable me to add apps?    

By swami, in LG webOS Smart TV App Questions

• Awaiting best answer

• 0 votes
      • 4 answers
    • [pivotCE]Video: iPhone X goes head to head with Palm Pre for some reason

Tech-tuber, Tim Schofield, dug out a Palm Pre today to do a comparison video of the iPhone X and the original Palm Pre with equal parts “Apple finally copied webOS” and “this weird device is old, lolz” sprinkled in. Perhaps the video is in response to claims from Qualcomm that Apple went too far in their borrowing (read:  theft) of elements that made webOS, well, webOS. He admits this isn’t a serious comparison, of course. I’m going to let the video speak for itself on this one. He had some help getting that Pre bypassed from our community, by the way (no shout-out in the video, Tim?!). And my favorite comment on the video has got to be this one! Yes. Yes, it does. #webOSforever Related posts: Qualcomm’s Palm Patents used in lawsuit against Apple over iPhone X ACL for webOS pre-release video appears Resurfaced HP Video Shows webOS Device Concepts View the full article

By pivotCE, in pivotCE News

• 0 replies
    • A failed 'iPhone killer' is Qualcomm's new weapon against Apple

The chipmaker owns several patents related to Palm and webOS, and is accusing the iPhone X of copying its user interface. The Palm Pre was one of many purported "iPhone killers" that never stuck. But it still has its fans.  Corinne Schulze/ CNET The legal battle between Apple and Qualcomm just went retro.   The same day that Apple filed a countersuit against Qualcomm, alleging that the chipmaker illegally used Apple battery management technology in Snapdragon processors that went into rival phones, Qualcomm filed three new complaints relating to 16 additional patents against Apple, including asking for the iPhone X to be banned.  But Qualcomm is bringing up a blast from the past in its complaint: the cult classic Palm Pre.  It turns out, Qualcomm in 2014 purchased several patents from Palm, including technology relating to its webOS operating system and user interface. While the Palm Pre, which debuted in 2009 as the purported "iPhone killer," never met the initial hype, Qualcomm is bringing it back as a weapon against Apple. Watch this: Qualcomm now seeks a ban on some Apple iPhone Xs 1:33  This is the latest wrinkle in the escalating fight between the two tech giants. Apple is one of the largest consumer technology companies in the world, with arguably the strongest brand in the industry, while Qualcomm is the world's largest supplier of mobile chips.  At the heart of this fight is a disagreement over how much Apple should pay Qualcomm for technology licenses. Apple believes the fee should be based on a percentage of the Qualcomm modem that goes into the iPhone, while the chipmaker believes the percentage should be based on the value of the entire phone.  Qualcomm alleges that the new iPhone X, which offers users the ability to bring up different windows of apps with a swipe, copies the interface used by the Pre. Qualcomm cites tech sites The Verge and TechCrunch's commentary that compares the iOS operating system to the Pre's "card-based multitasking system."  MORE APPLE VS. QUALCOMM Qualcomm seeks ban on sales of Intel-based iPhone X in US Apple fires back at Qualcomm in lawsuit over battery patents What the Apple-Qualcomm battle means for your next iPhone (FAQ) Other Palm patents involve the ability to autofocus the camera by touching the screen, a simplified single power button and the ability to answer a phone call with a text message. The fresh complaints support Qualcomm's argument that Apple uses more of its technology than just the modem and that other aspects of the iPhone are helped by Qualcomm innovations.  Qualcomm declined to comment beyond the filings.  An Apple spokesman declined to comment beyond its own countersuit. Palm has been on a curious journey to get to this point. The company was originally purchased by Hewlett-Packard, which failed to use webOS as a platform for its own consumer products. LG ended up with webOS as a platform for its televisions, while Chinese TV and phone maker TCL purchased the rights to use the Palm name. 

By Alex, in Palm Pre and Pre Plus

• 0 replies
    • [pivotCE]Qualcomm’s Palm Patents used in lawsuit against Apple over iPhone X

Qualcomm’s at it again.  Renowned for being a world-class patent troll, it’s once again suing Apple over…get this…using Palm Inc. patents it bought in 2014 in the iPhone X. Their big hangup is that the iPhone X borrowed Palm’s user interface or more specifically the interface found on webOS phones like the Palm Pre. Who hasn’t been saying the cards interface was stolen from webOS years ago when we first saw it popping up on Android devices? EVERYONE uses it. From Ubuntu Touch, iOS, Sailfish, BlackBerry 10, Windows Phone, and of course Android, they all use some styling of the cards for multitasking or rather task switching. Their demands? Ban the iPhone X in the US among other things. Yeah….right.  Good luck with that. #webOSforever Related posts: HP attempts to sell Palm patents – again. Forty Years of Tech Exhibit Showcases first Palm PDA HP is to Palm as Lenovo is to Motorola…Not Good View the full article

By pivotCE, in pivotCE News

• 0 replies