Quantcast

PreCentral: Phoenix teams up with OpenMobile to Kickstart the ACL for TouchPad

News Reporter

Phoenix teams up with OpenMobile to Kickstarter ACL for TouchPad

Way back in 2012 we were introduced to OpenMobile, a company working to build what they called an "" for running Android apps on Open webOS. They've demonstrated it running in the webOS emulator, but what about on a real live functioning device? That's been elusive. And at CES 2013 we stopped by OpenMobile's booth, only to find no sign of the webOS ACL. Despite the dreams and wishes of many, we wrote off the ACL as not coming back. and and that could run those Android apps looking less likely, why bother with the investment to finish the work?

But in 2013 we're looking a strange confluence of sites and services and people. The webOS movement hasn't died, and thanks groups like Phoenix International Communications there's even the possibility it could see a resurgence. And while they're working on , they're not stopping there. Today Phoenix announced that they've paired up with OpenMobile to resurrect the ACL for the TouchPad.

In a four-minute video on Kickstarter (also after the break) they lay out the case for the ACL on TouchPad. In short: because they want to and they think you want to as well. Thus the Kickstarter campaign. In addition, the video shows off the ACL in action on a TouchPad. Essentially it allows the installation of Android apps as discrete apps on on webOS, including individual apps. There's certainly a bit of OS shock in that Android apps running under the ACL are in essence running a window of Android, complete with back/home/menu buttons at the bottom of the screen and the Android keyboard. The set-up actually is quite similar to what OpenMobile is doing for the , down to the Android 2.3 core to the ACL.

Phoenix has turned to Kickstarter to needed to finish the ACL for webOS. They're seeking $35,000 by 23 May 2013, with a touch over $1500 having already been pledged at publish time. As this is on Kickstarter, Phoenix won't get any of the money unless the $35,000 goal is reached by the deadline - if they can't reach it, they get none of the pledged funding. And, as this is Kickstarter, there are several levels of backer rewards, from a copy of the ACL for a $30 pledge to beta testing access for $250 to a trip to New York City for dinner with the leadership of Phoenix for a $5000 commitment (along with the ACL on a CD, a certificate of appreciation, two Phoenix t-shirts, and an LED flashlight keychain).

If Phoenix is able to reach that funding goal, they're anticipating having the OpenMobile ACL complete and available by July. Seeing how the ACL is running its current state on the TouchPad, that goal might not be too ambitious.

mf.gif

a2t.imgwoBC4LDkJK0

link hidden, please login to view

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Bevb
      I have a NANO91ANA LG TV connected via HDMI to a Yamaha RX-V677 Receiver. Normally when I turn the TV on it also turns the receiver on and I can control volume via the LG remote, whether it is an app on the TV or from another device connected to my receiver (Apple TV or cable box). Now the receiver is not turning on and ARC audio is not working. I think there may have been a software update the other day, but I'm not sure. However, everything was working properly until last night. The last time this happened it seemed to correct itself (it seems to be kind of sporadic), but this time it did not. I do not know what to do to correct this, but it is a major pain as I'm now having to deal with 4 remotes, plus I can't get sound out of my surround speakers when using an app on the TV.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    • By News Reporter
      LG Continues to Push the Limits of Future Mobility with Advanced ADAS Technology

SEOUL, Nov. 25, 2021 — LG Electronics (LG) and Mercedes-Benz AG were named joint winners this week at the annual AutoSens Awards, a global celebration of autonomous driving and advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS).
      Every year the AutoSens conference recognizes companies for innovations in six categories of which LG was nominated in two: 2020 Vision Award and Hardware Development of the Year. The 2020 Vision Award was bestowed to LG and Mercedes-Benz in recognition of their influence, sustainability, contribution to the industry and inspiration to future technologies. The Hardware Development of the Year award was given to LG for successfully commercializing its front multipurpose camera technology beyond the concept stage. LG and Mercedes-Benz have been on ADAS camera technology for the past seven years, seeing the fruits of their labor commercialized in the new sedan which launched last month.
      First started in 2015, the AutoSens Awards celebrates the best innovations and innovators in ADAS and autonomous vehicle technology. Every year, representatives from automakers, suppliers, research labs and academia take part in AutoSens online communities, conferences and training modules, exhibition events and workshops to better understand the fast-growing autonomous vehicle industry, which could not exist without ADAS technology.
      Dr. Park Young-kyung, a Vision AI expert at LG, and Dr. Benjamin Marx of Mercedes-Benz’ multi-purpose camera team accepted the award and delivered a speech where they described the rewarding experience of working together for many years to develop a camera solution that improved real-life safety and met the strict European NCAP safety requirements. The state-of-the-art technology developed by the two companies is capable of taking advantage of deep learning and multi radar sensors to deliver significantly more environmental data to the central processing unit for analysis. More data results in better analysis and greater safety.
      “Demonstration value to our automotive customers is the ultimate reward for LG,” said Dr. Kim Jin-yong, president of the LG Vehicle component Solutions Company. “Being honored together with Mercedes-Benz is very meaningful to LG as we strive to contribute toward innovation in future mobility.”
      # # #

link hidden, please login to view
    • By Anurag Rathi
      When I am trying to play premium content on hotstar, it is showing me the playback error. Please resolve this. In other devices it is working perfectly. I have raised this to hotstar they asked me to raise it to TV manufacturer. Attach is the screenshot of the issue.

• By Spoll
      It would be great if I didn't need to use an Amazon fire stick on my awesome oled tv to get the apps I want.
      Please update the webos to at least 4.0 on modelsOLED65B6PB6

• By Ted W
      Hi
      I've got an LG Smart TV 43UM  7400PLB and am looking to buy an external hard drive so I can pause live TV and record programs. I'm currently using a much smaller capacity USB which can't pause live TV and will soon be full. 
      I've read on various forums that certain hard drives won't work or that I'll need to buy a certain connecting cable. 
      I was thinking of buying a Seagate 2TB drive, (STGX2000400) which is around £55.
      Can anyone recommend one or confirm that the Seagate one will be okay.
      Thanks.