Quantcast

PreCentral: Meteroids is Missile Defense on interplanetary steroids

News Reporter

Meteroids is Missile Defense on interplanetary steroids

Back in the summer of 2011, Pixilabs Software released a fun, simple, and yet challenging game into the App Catalog called Tap-Tap Rockets. The concept was simple: take the classic missile defense game and wrap it around a rotating planet, and while Tap-Tap rockets was never a smash hit in the App Catalog, it did manage to garner overwhelmingly positive reviews from those who bought it. Fast-forward a year and a half to today, a time when many developers have abandoned webOS, and Pixilabs is back with a follow-up to Tap-Tap Rockets:

link hidden, please login to view

Operating on the same basic concept as Tap-Tap Rockets, Meteroids places you in command of a rotating planet armed with missiles that you must fire to shoot down approaching asteroids. It's much like the Missile Defense of yore, though more challenging in that you not only have to time your launches so they will intercept with the encroaching space rocks of doom, but you have to deal with the fact that your launch platform is spinning around as you do that. Your little planet is protected by shields, but they can only take so many hits before you die off.

For most games, if we told you that it only had nine levels, you'd laugh at the $3.99 asking price. Truth is, it's well worth the money. Meteroids requires some pretty serious coordination, timing, attention, and more than a bit of luck. It took us well over an hour to get a handle on things in order to survive long enough to rack up the one thousand points needed to advance to the second level, and honestly we're having trouble getting past there. We'll give it time. As you advance through the levels you're given more to work with and more to deal with - Meteroids will give you more planets to defend and more rockets to launch, but it'll also throw more at you by making the planets move or lobbing asteroids that take multiple hits to destroy.

There's an extra bonus to be considered in that $3.99 purchase if you're all-in on the webOS ecosystem. Unlike with Tap-Tap Rockets where Pixilabs created separate and , the webOS edition of Meteroids plays with one purchase on all webOS tablets and smartphones, even the lowly original Pre and Pixi running webOS 1.4.5. There's also the bonus of gloating - states that Meteroids will be coming to both iOS and Android, but right now it's only available on webOS. Hours upon hours of gameplay and first launch bragging rights? Suddenly that doesn't seem so bad.

mf.gif

a2t.img74_5JZZuYmQ

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By hjetschko
      Hi, I have a feature request for the sound out setting. I often connect my Bluetooth headphones to the TV. We don't use the internal speaker of the TV, we use the optical sound out setting whenever I don't use Bluetooth. It would make our lives a lot easier if the TV can remember the last sound out setting before connecting to Bluetooth and default back to this setting when the Bluetooth device gets disconnected. At the moment, each time I disconnect the headphones I have to go back into settings and change the sound out setting from internal speaker to optical again. 
      Thanks and regards
      Hubert
    • By manbboy
      Good evening all,
      Via WebOS, i have tried to download an .avi file but i got a message similar to "Downloading file is not supported" from the browser.
      I would like to find a way (via another app, via an external device or whatever) to download a media file into my TV or USB drive plugged-in. Then, I would like the TV to play that downloaded file.
      Any idea how to do this ?

In other words, today, what I do:
      - download a media file from the web with my computer (700mo)
      - copy the media into an USB drive
      - unplug the usb drive from my computer
      - plug the usb drive into my TV
      - play the media to watch it with my TV

I would like to avoid using my computer to watch my downloaded media on my TV.

Thanks,
      Manbboy
      My TV : OLED65C2

• By informatiko
      It would be amazing to be able to use the Philips HUE and synchronize the lights with the video and audio of the LG TV.
      Thanks
    • By News Reporter
      Trees are vital. There is no denying how trillions of trees around the world are central to all life on Earth. Not only do Mother Nature’s skyscrapers provide clean, fresh air and cozy habitats to thousands of living species, but they also help us combat climate change and preserve biodiversity for many decades to come.

In ensuring that this legacy can be passed onto future generations, LG Indonesia signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Conservation of Natural Resources Jakarta to celebrate their 32 years of operation in Indonesia. For this purpose, the company pledged to plant 32,000 trees across Jakarta, Kalimantan and Sumatra by April 2023.
      Jay Jang, director of marketing and relations at LG Electronics Indonesia,
      shaking hands with Abdul Kodir, head of the Conservation of Natural Resources Jakarta
      This initiative sheds light on LG’s commitment to environmental sustainability in Indonesia in the same fashion as the company’s eco-friendly solutions, products and technologies, including their energy-saving inverter technology, which helps customers achieve a more eco-conscious lifestyle by improving energy efficiency. Incorporated into a wide range of household appliances, such as refrigerators, washing machines and air conditioners, this cutting-edge inverter provides users with peace of mind as they are able to easily manage their ecological footprints.

However, LG’s efforts toward environmental sustainability extend well beyond the tree-planting initiative. The company’s technological interventions also complement its commitment to reach carbon neutrality by 2030, through the minimization of carbon emissions and footprints across the overall process, from production to disposal.

LG is endlessly passionate about raising global awareness of environmental sustainability, not only through its technological innovation and world-leading products but also by implementing various environmental interventions designed in order to make life better for people of all backgrounds and localities.

Contributed by LG Indonesia
      # # #

link hidden, please login to view
    • By Mindaugas Vaiciulis
      Hello,

my TV (UP80003LR) (with latest WebOS: 6.3.2-423 )works fine expect for one problem with HbbTV (Hybrid TV).
      While watching HbbTV there are periodical gaps of silence of durations ~0.5 sec. every ~10 sec, so It`s very difficult to watch TV.
      Earlier gaps occured once a minute so it was kinda bearable.

Internet is connected though LAN cable.
      Have tried tune sound options, but it didn`t helped, so have and reseted TV settings to initial, but it didn`t helped too.
      So now i am kinda desperate. 
      What can be sure of is that problem is local with TV, because there are no problems with TV picture and there are no problem on second TV (Samsung).

Thank for any ieads.