Quantcast

PreCentral: Messenger Mega Mix mixes in smartphone messaging improvements

News Reporter

Messenger Mega Mix mixes in smartphone messaging improvements

It's been excluisvely up to the

link hidden, please login to view
for over a year to make improvements to the existing crop of webOS devices. Smartphones like the Pre3 aren't going to get a software update from HP, just like the TouchPad isn't going to receive new official software. But that hasn't stopped the homebrew community, from the organized grand project groups like and to individual developers, from making improvements on their own. One of the latest improvements comes to use in the form of a combination patch: .

Coded up by webOS Nation Forums member michel_ng and recently added to , the Messenger Mega Mix patch makes a number of improvements to the built-in Messaging app for webOS 2.2.x smartphones, including some very enhancements. There are the improvements like adding a character counter (seriously, how did Palm and HP never get around to adding something so simple and yet so imminently useful to an app that deals with a character-limited service?) and putting the date and time of the sent and received messages into the conversation.

Messenger Mega Mix also wipes out the on-screen send/attach button, opting to instead have you attach media with a Gesture+P shortcut (or the app menu, which hasn't been changed here) and sending is accomplished with a forward swipe on the gesture area. As in, sending it to your friend with a swipe of the thumb. Magic.

We're digging a lot of the changes made by Messenger Mega Mix, though it's worth noting that by adding so much it could conflict with other patches (in particular the ) and not install alongside. The patch also isn't , though we'd like to think that's something that could be added in so we can turn on or off the one alteration made by Messenger Mega Mix that might not go over well with everybody: the Enter key switches to adding a new line in the composed message instead of sending said message.

Even with those caveats, michel_ng's Messenger Mega Mix is still an interesting patch. The gesture area is one of the most unique aspects of webOS smartphones, and is so beloved by webOS fans that even with it not explicitly needed in the WebOS Ports process of they . So we're quite pleased to see homebrew developers like michel_ng finding new and different ways to make use of the feature.

mf.gif

a2t.imgPO80cBDPv5o

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By ajmboy
      So LG has put webOS on TVs, projectors, and now cars with webos auto. Does anyone thing LG will ever produce a webos powered smartphone or tablet? I know samsung has tried with tizen and it was only with the palm pre 2 and touchpad from HP that we saw webos on these types of devices. Just curious on what everyone thingks. Here's what webos used to look like..

HP Touchpad

• By MichlG
      Hi, Concerning Smart TV 55ub850V. I like that there are regulary updates of the Firmware/WebOS. I would appreciate if LG would supply a list of major alterations and bugfixes. It is very hard to find out improvements of a new release. I would appreciate such list i.e. in the online manual.  I am sure that with this lack many potential customers do not by this product because there are many wrong/old information on many fora.
    • By twin3
      Hello,

I'm really impressed with WebOS, though I have noticed a few bugs.
      However, the Smart Share feature really needs work. Here are some suggestions, covering the most important areas:
      Easy access to content!  This is the worst part right now and I can see a couple of ways to fix it: Add Smart Share shortcuts to the Launcher Bar.  These could include one or more of these options: DLNA server, folder & view type DLNA server, folder DLNA server Alternatively, completely redo the top-level of Smart Share Start with list of DLNA/content servers Allow users to create shortcuts to specific servers, folders with/without view type Retain view-type selection! Right now, this defaults to "list view" after you power-cycle, etc. Better use of screen area at the top It shows the current folder in big text, how about showing (in a different text color but still large text) the select folder underneath that Make it more clear that the tab on the left is a tab/button that goes back to the previous device or folder Fast-forward and rewind I think the scrubber works but I don't see why these are greyed out? Thanks!
    • By 3dfx4ever
      Hello,

I'm using a LG smart TV with webos (and previuosly a Netcast TV) and I think there are some simple changes to do that can improve a lot the overall TV esperience (not Smart capabilities).
      Please add your thoughts or your suggestion in order to have a complete list of simple improvements.
      I'll add them in this first post to have a complete list of changes.

1) When using remote command numbers, the reaction of the TV seems very slow. It needs to be improved.
      I think it is related to the searching of most recent channels that starts with pressed number/s. If this is the reason,
      ---> I suggest an option to enable/disable that search (when a number is pressed on remote command) to improve response time.

2) Settings menu is very attrative, but it is damn slow, above all at first opening. It can be right for some settings rarely used, but there are settings that needs to be very fast to use, as "aspect ratio".
      In Netcast environment, there was a button to modify aspect ratio directly.
      ---> I suggest an option to associate a shortcut to a color button (if needed, an option in menu to enable/disable this shortcut).
      ---> A more general suggestion is the possibility to associate custom function to color buttons  choosen by user: this'd be the best.

3) One of the most confortable thing of Netcast was that the channel short info (showed by OK button) was showed automatically when the channel is turned.
      ---> I suggest an option to associate show/not_show the OK info on TV when a new channel is selected.

4) First pressure on Info button is useless, while second pressure shows details.
      ---> I suggest an option to associate enable/disable INFO first pressure information on screen, to avoid second pressure that shows an annoyng lag.

More suggestions soon...