Quantcast

PreCentral: HP Play revamped as a music streaming service for the Middle East

News Reporter

HP Play revamped as a music streaming service for the Middle East

Back in the summer of 2011 when the HP TouchPad launched to the world, HP also launched a desktop app for both Windows and Mac to enable the synchronization of your music to your TouchPad, Pre3, or really any USB-mountable device. Today,

link hidden, please login to view
, we're seeing that HP's taken and amped it up to something more than a mere synchronization app.

For what it's worth, we always suspected that for than just shuttling files back and forth over a USB cable, but , those bigger things were put into the back of their mind. But more than a year later, HP Play has been reincarnated as a streaming music service for those living in the . The new HP Play utilizes Universal Music Group's catalog for its tunes, which offers a massive number of tunes for your streaming pleasure. Like Microsoft's music offerings, HP Play lets you download and keep up to ten tracks per month.

As for pricing, those who have purchased one of HP's Pavilion or Envy computers after September 29th will get twelve months of HP Play for free. You'll also be able to listen to HP Play music through dedicated apps for Android and iOS smartphones and tablets. But, again, only in the Middle East (specifically, the UAE, Qatar, Oman, Kuwait, Jordan, Bahrain, Egypt, Lebanon, Iraq, and Yemen). If you haven't purchased an HP computer in the past two months, you can grab a 12-month pass through in Cairo, Kuwait City, Doha, Dubai, Muscat, Riyadh, or Al Khobar. Strangely, this only streaming service does not seem to support purchasing access online.

We'll be honest, we're a little surprised to see HP Play resurrected like this, though it is admittedly a good brand name for a music store. As for HP Play being restricted to just the Middle East, that may actually help somewhat with the confusion that might arise otherwise from having a very similar name to Google's Play store (which offers apps, music, movies, and other digital goods), as Google Play barely has a presence in the Middle East.

This also marks the end of availability for the HP Play synchronization app, which never managed to make it out of its beta status. If it's installed on your computer, we dont' see why it would stop working, but you're not going to be able to download it again if you need it. It's good to see HP Play finally living up to its potential, but that there's no webOS app - or reason to make a webOS app for that matter - puts a little bit of a sour taste in our mouths.

mf.gif

a2t.imgWHxmS7ZI0tk

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Nick Payne
      I can stream ABC content using either the iView app on our LG G1 65" OLED, or via the iView Android TV app that is installed on a Chromecast with Google TV that is plugged into one of the G1 HDMI ports. If I stream content using the app on the TV, every few minutes there's a momentary (fraction of a second) interruption to both sound and video. If I stream the same content using the app on the Chromecast, I get no such interruptions. Both TV and Chromecast are using wired Ethernet connections to the same switch, so I can't see that these interruptions are due to a network problem, or I'd see them on both devices. It would seem to be a problem with the app provided on the TV. Other streaming services that we access via apps on the TV (Netflix, Stan, Amazon Prime, etc) do not show the same problem.
    • By grabber5.0
      Tried to launch the Amazon Music app on my TV this morning and got this error. This just looks like an expired certificate error, but the app is 1.0.0 and hasn't been updated since release in 2020, so I suspect it's not supported anymore anyway. Anyone have it working on perhaps a newer TV? This one's two or three years old.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

• By H_Rovy
      I want to be able to turn on my TV without it automatically launching a cable channel. ( or repeatedly asking me if I want to turn on the cable box).  Is there any way to "just' start with the home screen? Also when I've been watching something (app or cable) and go back to Home screen, it will go back to what I was watching if there is no input for a minute or so. grrrr. so annoying
    • By GiovanniG
      Hi! Thank you for your kind help
      I'm looking for a way to show an IP camera to LG TV, I've updated it to the latest version (WebOS).
      I really hope it is possible without buying an external HDMI box, there is any way to obtain that or install apps from USB? Thank you a lot!

• By News Reporter
      One of the major trends in consumer electronics, the ‘personalized user experience’ is something LG TV owners get to enjoy every day thanks to the abundance of convenient, customizable features and lifestyle services accessible via LG’s webOS platform.
      Since its launch in 2014, webOS has continued to evolve, offering increased functionality, services and options with each new update and version release. The latest webOS UI makes 2021 and 2022 LG TVs the ultimate home entertainment hubs – able to provide an ever-growing number of lifestyle apps, easier access to recommendations with the newly launched Life’s Good Hub and seamless mobile integration with effortless content mirroring.

Revamped to help users navigate the expansive list of services on offer, the new webOS Home Screen now includes the Life’s Good Hub section, where users can discover some of the latest lifestyle apps at the press of a button. The lifestyle section provides a curated selection of up to fifteen apps centered on improving a specific aspect of life at home, such as fitness, wellbeing or staying connected. A real time-saver, the new feature enables users to find services suited to their unique tastes and preferences, ‘handpicking’ the most relevant apps from the approximately 2,200 currently available* on the LG webOS platform.
      Another important consideration for today’s users is the mobile experience and cross-device compatibility. LG’s ThinQ app has been updated to make it easier to mirror content from mobile devices to LG TVs. Users will enjoy being able to switch from watching on their mobile to watching on the TV when playing content from a range of different sources, including major streaming services, LG Channels and LG Fitness.

The new lifestyle content that LG continues to bring to the webOS platform shows that the company understands and appreciates the ways in which consumers’ needs and lifestyles have changed in recent times. Take RemoteMeeting, for example: an easy-to-use video conferencing solution designed with the growing ranks of remote workers – and those wanting to catch up with friends and family in other places – in mind. Setting up the app on LG TV is fast and simple as it doesn’t require connection to a laptop or PC. From August 5, users signing up to RemoteMeeting will receive a free, 6-month membership, no matter where in the world they call home.

In an uncertain world, self-care is just as important as connecting with others, and for that LG’s latest TVs support apps such as Insight Timer. The popular meditation app is engineered to help users combat anxiety, stress and poor-quality sleep through an array of uplifting and relaxing content and wellness tools. LG 2021 and 2022 TV owners can enjoy Insight Timer free for 12-months, granting them access to 150,000 guided meditations, soothing music tracks and more.

Fitness is a key component of achieving personal wellbeing, too, which is why LG’s latest TVs offer several apps that can help users turn their living rooms into private workout studios. 305 Fitness, which features invigorating dance workouts with music from a live DJ and popular subscription workout apps such as MaxPro, Fiit TV and Flexit, will be arriving later this year.

Additionally, LG’s webOS 22-powered TVs will soon be welcoming the hotly-anticipated IDOLLIVE app. A dream come true for the world’s legions of K-pop fans, the app lets users stream a plethora of compelling K-pop content, including live performances, exclusive interviews and music videos, and offers subtitles in five different languages (English, Japanese, Indonesian, Mandarin and Thai).
      With an intuitive UI and a growing library of apps and services spanning entertainment, smart home management as well as personal growth and wellbeing, LG TVs with webOS continue to redefine the ‘personalized user experience’ and deliver a better life at home to consumers worldwide.
      # # #
      * App availability varies per region.

link hidden, please login to view