Quantcast

PreCentral: Use Nokia's Here mapping service on your webOS smartphone, thanks to homebrew

News Reporter

Use Nokia's Here mapping service on your webOS smartphone, thanks to homebrew

Earlier this week,

link hidden, please login to view
and launched their maps outside of Microsoft's Bing and Windows Phone platforms (and Nokia's own much-maligned Symbian platform). What made the rebrand/relaunch interesting was that Nokia will be launching apps for Here on iOS and Firefox OS in the near future, with Android support on the horizon.

Here also debuted a new online webapp so you can check out and use the service in your browser, even on smartphones. Unless it's a webOS smartphone, that is. It's not that they're deliberately dismissing webOS, no, it's that the webOS browser just isn't up to snuff anymore. Thankfully, webOS itself can handle the service, so long as it's packaged as an app.

That's exactly what lauded homebrew developer 72ka decided to do. If this sounds familiar, that's because . He seems to have a thing for maps apps, and considering that we're otherwise stuck with a sub-par Bing Maps app on webOS, we're okay with him having a thing for maps apps. 72ka describes the Here maps app as a "simple webview container to allow user interactions", circumventing the webOS browser's inability to permit user interactions with the Here website. And just too tickle our awesome bone a little bit further, he's planning to offer the app for free through the webOS Nation Homebrew Gallery () and it's available under the Apache open source license.

There are still some things to work out - 72ka says it's an alpha at this point - including support on webOS 1.x (currently the app won't load) and fixing an awkward half-loading problem on the TouchPad. But even then, this webview container of an app is a stopgap measure. When Nokia announced Here, they said they would be releasing an API for the maps next year, which 72ka hopes to use to build a native app for webOS. But until then, if the Bing apps map doesn't do it for your and you're just sick of Google, check out Here.

mf.gif

a2t.imgo9d4MhV3Y4o

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Sergi
      Hi!
      i just purchased this new projector and I see many mainstream apps are missing from the store, even though I saw other WebOS devices with them.
      I dont’t see Amazon Prime, Disney+ or HBO max…
      Does anybody know how to get them, if it’s even possible??
      Thank you in advance!
    • By willjim
      I have recently purchased a qned 99 and I can’t see how to close apps running in the back ground like I was able to do with other lg TVs I have.
      The tv is running the latest version webos and obviously tried YouTube for the answer which only seems to say holding down the home button but all this seems to do is open the last app I was using.
      any ideas gratefully received.
    • By Asrar ul haq
      Hey,

I recently brought a LG C1 OLED tv along with a LG SP9YA soundbar. I have been having issues to screenscast from my Samsung s21 plus phone on the TV when connected to sounbar. There is a clear lag and eventually screencast gets disconnected saying signal for smart view screencast is bad (reconnecting could help, but it never does). Updated all the apps on TV and phone but it didn't resolve the issue.

I dont understand what to do
    • By Vanilton Coelho
      Hi people,

Recently bought one 49LF6350 and one 43LF6350 and the two models have the same problem, whenever I try to open an application, informs me that I have to update (required update, you must update this app to launch it. the update may cause data to be stored deleted.), and when I try to update, it gives an error message (application has not Been instaled. try again). It happens to apps also store to at new install. what may be occurring?

software version: 3:03:04
      WebOS TV version: 2.0.2-3928 (behive-badlands)

thanks.
    • By HankO
      I have  a OLED55CXAUA TV, Apps weren't able to update I got the same error message. I had a problem with Hulu so I uninstalled it. After that I couldn't re-download Hulu app. I did a computer chat with LG techs several times. The last chat after having me do all the standard fixes , the tech accessed my computer remotely . After a long wait he said I needed to do factory reset. Thats what I did. well that made things much worse. Now because all the apps were older ,they all needed to be updated ,so now I could use any of my streaming apps. So now I have to stream with Amazon firestick ,TV apps are useless. It only gets worse. The LG tech said that's all he could do remotely ,I needed an onsite tech to come to my house to check it . But because it is 17 months old I would have to pay for repair. In addition to that I bought it at Costco . They give a 2nd year extension of factory warrantee , plus I have an additional 3 years of Allstate service contract. I called Costco to have them repair it . They said it's not covered because it's a software issue and they don't cover software issues . So I called LG tech and asked if they would have fixed it under warrantee if it was under 12 months old .  He said they definitely would have.  So I called Costco back and if they are extending factory warrantee why won't they cover it if LG would have. They gave me some double talk but still refuse to do anything. So I'm stuck with a smart TV that now is the same as any regular TV. Both corporations LG and Costco are at fault I'm stuck in the Middle. How can I fix this firmware problem?