Quantcast

PreCentral: What would a webOS smartphone need to be competitive today?

News Reporter

What would a webOS smartphone need to be competitive today?

It's time for a webOS Nation brainstorming session. Late last week we were all some combination of perturbed, disturbed, hopeful, wistful, enraged, or just play befuddled when HP CEO Meg Whitman proclaimed that yes,

link hidden, please login to view
. "" was the cry in all capital letters across the internet, followed by the cacophony of a million techies sighing at once.

But it got me thinking - is webOS as it stands right now really capable of standing up to the giants of the current smartphone industry? We all know the merits of webOS - multitasking, notifications, Synergy, Just Type, and so forth, but right now even the is looking to be seriously devoid of feature updates. So, if somebody - anybody - were to take webOS and make a smartphone out of it, what would it take for somebody to be willing to pick it up instead of the iPhone or Galaxy S or Droid or Lumia sitting elsewhere on the shelf in the carrier store? Let's delve into that, shall we?

We'll start with the assumption of webOS 3.0 melded with webOS 2.2.4 as our basepoint. Everything that webOS 3.0 can do, dropped down into the form factor of a webOS smartphone, essentially. Now sit this phone next to the Apple iPhone 5, Motorola RAZR HD, Nokia Lumia 920, and Samsung Galaxy S III. What's missing?

We could go on and on about hardware. A modern webOS device would need to have a higher resolution and larger screen (hell, even the iPhone 5 has a 4-inch screen now), an LTE radio, faster processor, more RAM, more storage, a bigger battery, a better camera, and maybe other extraneous bits like NFC, all crammed into an impossibly thin shell to be taken seriously at a glance. This thought exercise is more a matter of software. After all, Open webOS is open source - anybody can take it and put it onto whatever hypothetical hardware they want (with some work, clearly) - so let's focus on how the software can be improved to modern standards. I'll offer up two major points - application selection and camera software.

mf.gif

a2t.imgn8c7eSkgYj0

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Luka Pantsulaia
      I bought LG smart tv. for some reason region selected was Africa and could only choose from african countries and had very little available apps in content store. I live in Georgia, so figured that  changing region to EU would help so changed it to 3122 and selected service country UK because Georgia was not in the list. after that every app says that it is not available in current country. I have  default region code saved so I guess could go back but wondering if any one can help me to get it working in EU. or if anyone have region code in which Georgia is available it will be helpful as well. 
    • By qUArtEx
      Hi to all! 
      I'm really new into this and have a problem. My 2018 LG 55UJ635V-ZF has only webOS 3 (latest; ethernet-automatic download) an i can't use airplay or miracast. The apps i found in the store for mirroring are only pay2use to use this needed feature for me.
      On the LG Homepage i can't find an upgrade for my TV an maybe is my tv really to old for upgrades or am i wrong?
      Maybe someone can help me out or bring some light for me in this.
      I also found the suggestions on this site for the firmware 4.70.70 (for the UJ's), but i can't download....error.
      sorry for my bad english 🙂
      thx for your help, quartex.
    • By AusRob
      The built in Web Browser will not play Videos on SOME websites after updating to WebOS Version 04.40.25 and 04.40.70. The web sites otherwise work fine. Here is an example that won't play since the 04.40.25 update ... 
      link hidden, please login to view ... Please fix this LG ASAP, it's really annoying. PS. It has nothing to do with any Browser setting, I have checked all that. 
    • By codepoet
      Greetings Touchpad users! The webOS Nation Forums went down this month -- unceremoniously redirected to some crappy review site, despite the community's pleas to let us save or preserve it in some fashion. As a result, we're looking here (and other places) for some kind of community forum!
      For those who visit here, I wanted to let you know that despite all recent set-backs, the legacy webOS community is alive and well, still using our Touchpads, Pres, Pixis and Veers in 2023!
      Resources to get online, apps to try out, and lots of other things to do can be found at webosarchive.org
      We've also got a Discord server going -- it even connects to webOS Devices, through a modern app called SimpleChat. Come join us at docs.webosarchive.org/community
    • By News Reporter
      For LG, 2022 was a defining year for its unwavering journey towards sustainability after the company successfully redirected its focus to collaborations for a greater collective impact through its global innovation challenge, the LIFE’S GOOD AWARD.
      Innovators hailing from all four corners of the globe answered LG’s call with creativity, passion and a drive to make sure Life’s Good, with novel solutions that bring much-needed hope of a brighter future for people and the planet. Among the countless game-changing ideas submitted, the best four were selected to be presented at the LIFE’S GOOD AWARD Conference held in January, in what would be the grand finale.
      (From left to right) Lee Jeong-seok, head of LG Electronics’ Global Marketing Center, CTO Dr. Kim Byoung-hoon and CSO Lee Sam-soo
      With innovation at its core, it was only fitting that LG Sciencepark, the company’s immense innovation hub based in Magok (South Korea), was chosen to host the conference. The four finalists joined the judging panel of respected scholars and LG executives to give their final pitches that would determine which award they would be taking home. But this was by no means a closed event, as the public was warmly invited to tune into the conference’s afternoon events.
      Lee Jeong-seok, head of LG Electronics’ Global Marketing Center
      The day kicked off with a presentation from each team and the judging panel gave valuable feedback and asked questions based on the solution’s impact, innovation and sustainability. And finally, the moment everyone had waited for; the announcement of who would be receiving what prize at the awards ceremony held later that day.

Public attendees interested in LG’s latest sustainability efforts were greeted to the park by a special exhibition booth providing an interesting overview of each top-four solution, as well as a look into LG’s most notable products promoting environmental sustainability and accessibility.

The ‘Dot pad,’ Dot Incorporation’s tactile graphic display, was one of them. Featuring 2,400 braille pins/dots which move up and down to convert information, this device gave visitors the opportunity to experience how the visually impaired ‘see’ the world through their fingertips.

Next up was Day1Lab’s alternative plastic solution which promotes its vision of a green Earth devoid of all harmful microplastic waste. This exhibit was set up to clearly demonstrate how carbohydrate complex materials degrade naturally in freshwater and earth, as to not harm the planet’s beautiful and diverse ecosystems.

Similarly, SOLUTUM presented an alternative plastic solution which degrades naturally in freshwater without toxic residue. Attendees were eager to see the eco-friendly material close up, especially as it’s expected to be featured in consumer products soon in partnership with a leading beverage brand.

Water desalination was the key initiative outlined in NONA Technologies’ exhibit. It’s here where onlookers could discover how a desalination solution that removes minerals from raw water completely changes the outlook of agriculture and water-deprived communities over the world.
      Professor Christopher Marquis, a professor at Cambridge Judge Business School
      Following this exclusive tour of the winning solutions, everyone gathered for the long-awaited awards ceremony. But before the awards were handed out, a welcoming address by LG, special lectures from presiding professors and speeches from the winning teams were conducted, a perfect example of how businesses, scholars and innovators can come together as one for a better world.
      (From left to right) Dot Inc.’s Ki Kwang Sung, CSO Lee Sam-soo and Dot Inc.’s Ju Yoon Kim
      The curtains closed on the ceremony with a big round of applause for the winners, with Dot Inc. (South Korea), SOLUTUM (Israel), Day1Lab (South Korea) and NONA Technologies (the United States) claiming the Grand Prix, Gold, Silver and Bronze awards, respectively. The jury lauded the four winners’ amazing dedication and visionary solutions.

Through a relentless drive for innovation and an unwavering commitment to connecting with some of the brightest minds in the world, LG will continue to foster a Better Life for All. Stay tuned to
      link hidden, please login to view to learn how LG’s latest efforts are putting the world on a more sustainable path. # # #