Quantcast

PreCentral: Google's working on a stock Android install for Sony, could they be charting a path for Open webOS?

News Reporter

Google's working on a stock Android install for Sony, could this be a path for O

Google's Android software is available on quite literally hundreds of devices. But on all but a select few it's been tinkered with at a bare minimum (or wholesale overhauled), moving it away from a 'true' Android experience. In fact, the number of 'Google' devices, i.e. those with unadulterated Android installed out of the box, can be counted on two hands. most of those are . That's not to say that there's anything wrong with the modifications made by Samsung, HTC, Sony, Amazon, and everybody else toying with Android, but there's a contingent of people that want to be able to install stock Android on their device without the interference of others.

Part of the code to make that possible has always been available as part of the (AOSP). Anybody can download that and do with it as they please, and installing it on a device should yield a 'pure' Android experience. So long as you're okay with probably not having access to a number of vital components with drivers that aren't open source and thus aren't part of AOSP. That hasn't stopped groups like CyanogenMod from repurposing the open source code of AOSP, including the project to install Android on the TouchPad.

Google's head of the AOSP, Jean-Baptiste Queru, isn't content with that, and wants to bring the pure, unadulterated Android experience to more devices. . Despite Sony's history of siloing themselves off in proprietary technologies (MiniDisc and Memory Stick, anyone?), they've recently come to terms with being more open and have become more . So it should come as no surprise that a few weeks after Queru started his quest to bring AOSP to the Xperia S, . While such code won't be useful to the average homebrew ROM cooker, they should prove quite useful to the Xperia S AOSP project.

We've said before that the biggest technical hurdle facing the adoption of Open webOS on the vast majority of devices is the lack of open source supporting software like the drivers and whatnot in the Xperia S binaries. With Google publicly pursuing getting stock Android onto at least one non-Nexus device, we have to wonder if this approach might be a useful one for HP and Open webOS.

As of right now there are two forms of , both in beta: installations, and another for . The Linux version isn't exactly a cakewalk to install outside of the instructions provided by HP, so throwing it on that tablet you have sitting around isn't a simple task. And while the OpenEmbedded-enabled version of Open webOS is technically installable on any number of theoretical devices, it's missing a fairly major component: a user interface.

But let's assume that HP's plans involve setting up Open webOS to run on more devices than just a 32-bit install of Linux Ubuntu, because that's simply not going to be useful to most people. In fact, we have to question whether it'd really be useful to any but a select handful. But thanks to a distinct lack of open source drivers for many things, there aren't a whole lot of options for Open webOS. That is, unless a company such a Sony is willing to step up as they have with the Android Open Source Project and pitch in useful code to make exciting things happen.

While there's the obvious advantage to webOS enthusiasts such as ourselves who strongly desire to run webOS on new hardware, there's an advantage for the assisting device manufacturer as well. We're not talking about just goodwill here, of which there'd be plenty from a yearning-to-offer-goodwill webOS community. No, there's the advantage that said manufacturer would have an additional operating system in their quiver should they want to take the webOS route, and they'd have let the community do most of the work for them.

mf.gif

a2t.imgdONvu3TuNBo

link hidden, please login to view

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By SS1003602
      I have recently shifted from UAE to India. I have 55" LG 3D smart TV model no. 55UB8301. My problem is 1. I can not change country from UAE to India in settings -Country option because India is not available in the list.
      2. I can not download any app which are normally available in Indian smart TVs like Hotstar/Sonyliv/Amazon prime etc.
      3. In screen mirroring option using my Android phone, I can play any video stream from mobile to smart TV BUT only Amazon prime videos are not played. 
      Can anyone help me for above issues...?
    • By Leorge
      LG 42LB700V tv not corresponding to all the commands remote and intergrated.  Also presents a yellow screen every 15 minutes  for a couple of minutes or more.  Cant go into menu for setting controls. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

• By majtemp
      Hello,
      After updating my LG TV to the latest firmware I saw a new option:
       It is "Bluetooth Speaker Volume":

Before this update, I used to connect to my Bluetooth headphones quicker because the option "Connect" was the FIRST OPTION.
      Now It is the second option and I have to press down every time to highlight "Connect".

Why replacing "Connect" with this disabled option "Bluetooth Speaker Volume" ?!

This is annoying because my TV fails to detect my headphones automatically so I have to go to this menu every day and select "Connect" manually. ☹️
      Making "Bluetooth Speaker Volume" the first option just made this process more annoying because now I have to press more buttons.

My simple request is:
      Make "Connect" the first option.

Thanks.

• By News Reporter
      Virtual Worlds in Popular Online Games Allow Players to
      Join With LG and Habitat Korea to Help Communities in Need

SEOUL, Sep. 27, 2021 — For its 2021 LG Healthy Home Solutions Campaign, LG Electronics (LG) is inviting fans of and Fortnite to virtually experience its latest healthy home solutions and make a positive difference in people’s lives. By uploading gameplay screenshots to social media, players can make a donation to Habitat for Humanity South Korea courtesy of LG.
      LG Home Island in Animal Crossing the Horizon features three themed zones where players can explore the company’s state-of-the-art appliances and engage in fun missions. In the Cleaning Maze Clothing Care Zone, fans will see LG’s washing machine, dryer and Styler wardrobe management system while guiding their avatar through the maze course challenge. Juicy Fresh Kitchen Zone allows visitors to experience LG’s refrigerator, range and dishwasher while Cool Breeze Air Zone is where they can experience the healthy air and advanced cooling capabilities of the company’s air solution products.
      Players who complete the LG Healthy Home mission by unlocking all of the home appliances in LG’s map in Fortnite, the free-to-play Battle Royale game played by millions worldwide, can gain valuable healing items. After the completion of the mission, players can claim victory by being the first to seize the LG Battle Square.
      LG will make a donation to Habitat Korea on behalf of players who take a screenshot at the Habitat Korea Photo Zone and post it to their Facebook, Instagram or Twitter accounts with the hashtag #LGHome. Donations will go toward Habitat Korea’s projects in Kenya, India and Vietnam and to further support communities in need, LG will provide refrigerators, washing machines and other appliances to public facilities such as schools and libraries.
      “The LG Healthy Home Solutions campaign offers a unique virtual experience and a fun, interactive way to support a truly worthy cause both safely and responsibly,” said Lyu Jae-cheol, president of LG Electronics Home Appliance & Air Solution Company. “Our successful campaign resulted in over 200 new home appliances being placed in new homes and improving the lives of hundreds of families.”
      To join in LG’s campaign, enter the Dream Address DA-0265-8322-0996 in Animal Crossing the Horizon or the island code 0850-7901-9021 in Fortnite. Full details can be found at .
      # # #

link hidden, please login to view
    • By Kavitha
      Model: 42UB700T-TH version 03.02.25. Has not got any software update since  3-4 Years - What a mess...…
      This TV is just a random box now... Once purchased this model - new version from LG was introduced; making this just a playing box...
      None of the recent OTT's can be installed..
      We need a fix or else some solution to it.
      Its really a disheartening experience after being loyal to this brand in any appliance we purchase.